Another dog food question

dog dr

Another dog food question

Post by dog dr » Mon May 09, 2011 9:19 am

sorry guys, but i just usually dont pay a whole lot of attention to the dog food threads. The dogs and I have been happy with what weve been feeding, BUT like everybody else, always looking to cut some costs here and there as long as we dont give up much in quality.

SO, what can you tell me about Native?? lets here the good, bad and the ugly. PLease!

JMc

Re: Another dog food question

Post by JMc » Mon May 09, 2011 11:07 am

Great food from what I have read; but not sure it will be cheap.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Mon May 09, 2011 1:18 pm

I few close cohorts feeding it for awhile and liking the results. Personally seeing their dogs perform on it I can not offer or see any complaints. The protein/fat "level" thing is unique and I feel useful. Kent Feeds brand so I can hopefully trust it long term. From what I hear, given the geo location, it is sometimes tough to find(but growing) and priced accordingly/in-line with other brands corn, soy, veggie gluten, wheat FREE foods out there. 2200 kcal per pound of Metabolizable Energy. Very nice high octane in their Level 4. Thumbs up from me. -Mark

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon May 09, 2011 3:02 pm

I fed it for a year but had two of the eleven that didn't do well on it - but the one is really picky anyway, so I went back to an old standby. I like Native and I can get it within 30 miles of here. Also, they will deliver it UPS to your front door. Steve Reis from Native is a standup guy. You should shoot him an email or give him a call. A good buddy of mine that raises and trains Brits uses Native exclusively and loves it.

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Mon May 09, 2011 3:49 pm

If you want cheap then its not for you, as around here it is $ 35 plus a bag. I tried it a while back but all my shorthairs had very loose stools on it no matter what level or how much I fed. Now some people swear by it and it works for them so who knows maybe your dog would do well on it.
Jerry Alden

2X NGDC/GFC/FC Clk's Point Me The Way ( Allie ) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2765

fordman

Post by fordman » Tue May 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Its $$$ and 3 of my dogs lost weight on level 3, so no thank you. Did not seem all its crack up to be.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Great Feed but to pricey. I switched to an Actual Kent Brand feed because of the price. (the bags actually say KENT on them) :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue May 10, 2011 1:08 pm

yeah, after a little more research i have decided its not gonna work for me. actually found an old thread on here from a few years back, and somebody who works for Kent said that free fed dogs that arent worked hard are gonna gain weight on it. that pretty much describes all but one of my dogs, so think I'll stick with what I'm feeding. thanks guys.

fordman

Post by fordman » Wed May 11, 2011 5:05 am

dog dr wrote:yeah, after a little more research i have decided its not gonna work for me. actually found an old thread on here from a few years back, and somebody who works for Kent said that free fed dogs that arent worked hard are gonna gain weight on it. that pretty much describes all but one of my dogs, so think I'll stick with what I'm feeding. thanks guys.
I seen the exact opposite lost weight lots of stool.

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Fri May 13, 2011 7:02 am

Well, Native copied my recipe and has run with it. They just haven't figured out how to make it work. I am not too fond of them but am flattered they thought the recipe was worthy of imitation. I feel a little better now.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Mon May 16, 2011 2:15 pm

On a personal note...that's why I feed my own Dr. Tim's! I am glad you feel a little better now!
Good luck dog dr with whatever you go to. I am sure it will work out. Just a quick question if you have a second. I read you free feed. As a vet is this something you recommend? Sounds like you have a hard keeper or more active individual in the mix? How do you work around that with free feeding multiple dogs? Just curious and appreciate your response in advance. Thanks again. -Mark

chessiemanic

Post by chessiemanic » Mon May 16, 2011 4:46 pm

I have been told that dogs do better on a no corn and wheat brand of dog food. I switch to Diamond Chicken & Rice Hi-Energy. It was 38 bucks for a large bag, but my dog seems to be doing better on it.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Mon May 16, 2011 5:14 pm

Just my opinion chessiemanic, If your dog is happy, healthy, and doing well on Diamond HE, you like the physical results you see, the cost is acceptable for you, the availibilty is convenient for you...then I would venture to say you and your dog are overall very happy with it... so don't try to fix what is not broken! Have fun with that great looking chessie! -Mark

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue May 17, 2011 8:37 am

northUpland wrote:On a personal note...that's why I feed my own Dr. Tim's! I am glad you feel a little better now!
Good luck dog dr with whatever you go to. I am sure it will work out. Just a quick question if you have a second. I read you free feed. As a vet is this something you recommend? Sounds like you have a hard keeper or more active individual in the mix? How do you work around that with free feeding multiple dogs? Just curious and appreciate your response in advance. Thanks again. -Mark

basically i free feed because its quicker and easier for me (esp. with 4 kids and working the hours i do), and so far the dogs have done fine on it. Plus, i dont currently have the facilities to house them separately either. I dont really have any hard keepers, just my Britt that needs a little more during hunting season. the other 3 dogs are actually each a little heavy, in my opinion, but i like them a little on the lean side.

i did run into a problem last year when my wifes big golden retriever was keeping the britt away from the food bowl, but solved that by putting out another feeder.

the britt is the only hunting dog, and the other 3 are just pets. i have plans to pour another concrete pad this summer, so i would be able to separate as needed. the kids are getting old enough to help with some chores, too, so a couple dogs may be going on a diet!

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Wed May 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks dr dog for the response. Much appreciated. I have clients in a very similiar situation as yours. It was very helpful to hear your firsthand take on things. Thanks again. -Mark

splucinski

Post by splucinski » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:02 pm

I feed my GSP level 3. I tried switching her to Diamond Naturals. She did not do nearly as well on Diamond as she does on Native. I switched her back and coat is glossy again, firm stools.