any vets? DOG ATE CHOCOLATE

isonychia

any vets? DOG ATE CHOCOLATE

Post by isonychia » Sat May 14, 2011 6:53 pm

Got done with a long walk and when I was using the restroom for 30 seconds, my dog somehow magically grew wings and got to some double chocolate cookies that were cooling way back in a corner on a high counter top. I didn't even know he did it till I saw him licking his chops, I smelled the chocolate on his breath and saw some in his teeth. Immediately induced vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. Not a whole lot of cookie came out so I don't think he ate enough to hurt him, hard to know the exact amount in the cookies. Called VET and they are closed, obviously. I know what animal poison will say, so are there any vets on the board with experience in this? Since I induced vomiting imediately after consumption (actual discharge of vomit about 15 minutes after consumption) and it was a small amount (maybe 1 or 2 cookies, probably half of one) should I still take him to the emergency vet?

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: any vets? DOG ATE CHOCOLATE

Post by shags » Sat May 14, 2011 7:04 pm

No. That much won't hurt him. Might get the squirts a little bit though. Don't worry about it.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sat May 14, 2011 7:06 pm

shags wrote:No. That much won't hurt him. Might get the squirts a little bit though. Don't worry about it.
Ok thanks for the reply. I wouldn't have been as worried if it were just chocolate chips but they were semisweet and the cookies even had cocoa powder in them... super chocolate! Good cookies for myself I might add.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat May 14, 2011 7:24 pm

You can give about a good tablespoon+ of Hydrogen peroxide to make her throw up
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat May 14, 2011 7:51 pm

I am no vet so take it FWIW, but I think it would take a massive ammount of chocolate or eating chocolate over a long period of time to do any damage. Also, from what I have read, the dark chocolate is worse than milk chocolate. I understand your concern but IMO, your dog will be fine. :D

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sat May 14, 2011 8:00 pm

birddogger wrote:I am no vet so take it FWIW, but I think it would take a massive ammount of chocolate or eating chocolate over a long period of time to do any damage. Also, from what I have read, the dark chocolate is worse than milk chocolate. I understand your concern but IMO, your dog will be fine. :D

Charlie

Yeah thats what I've gathered. I guess I have overreacted by inducing vomiting, however at the time I could not get a hold of my girl friend to find out how many cookies she baked, so for all I knew he ate 10 cookies. After all he did grow wings to get to them (turns out my girlfriend moved them down from where I had put them away :evil: ). Better safe than sorry I guess.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat May 14, 2011 8:26 pm

birddogger wrote:I am no vet so take it FWIW, but I think it would take a massive ammount of chocolate or eating chocolate over a long period of time to do any damage. Also, from what I have read, the dark chocolate is worse than milk chocolate. I understand your concern but IMO, your dog will be fine. :D

Charlie
What he ate is milk chocolate and that is quite diluted from the actual bitter dark chocolate that causes the real problem. Though not good for the dog don't worry about it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat May 14, 2011 8:34 pm

isonychia wrote:

Charlie

Yeah thats what I've gathered. I guess I have overreacted by inducing vomiting, however at the time I could not get a hold of my girl friend to find out how many cookies she baked, so for all I knew he ate 10 cookies. After all he did grow wings to get to them (turns out my girlfriend moved them down from where I had put them away :evil: ). Better safe than sorry I guess.
as already stated a little milk chocolate isn't the end of the world But If caught pretty much right away I would have induced vomiting myself in the same situation with the simple dose of the hydrogen peroixde.

The things our dogs get into :roll:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sat May 14, 2011 8:35 pm

ezzy333 wrote:

Charlie
What he ate is milk chocolate and that is quite diluted from the actual bitter dark chocolate that causes the real problem. Though not good for the dog don't worry about it.

Ezzy

It was dark chocolate. Semisweet is dark chocolate, it just has more cocoa butter in it (not cow butter) and more sugar than pure bakers chocolate. The cookies also had cocoa powder in it which is pretty potent, also not as bad as pure baking choc. I seem to have become an expert on the types of chocolate available in the past hour. He is fine though, thanks for the replies everyone! Just got done with a telephone interview before he ate this... what a day! Hopefully I get the job though. The longer days will be harder on the pup but it would mean moving from NC to CO... I think he will like the new birdery!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat May 14, 2011 8:37 pm

kninebirddog wrote:
isonychia wrote:

Charlie

as already stated a little milk chocolate isn't the end of the world But If caught pretty much right away I would have induced vomiting myself in the same situation with the simple dose of the hydrogen peroixde.

The things our dogs get into :roll:
I believe he posted he did use the hydrogen Peroxide on his original post and had very little come up.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat May 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Good luck on the job. :D
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon May 16, 2011 9:00 am

I smelled the chocolate on his breath
That gets me busted every time....

Now if he wants a coffee after the cookies I would be hesitant...
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:06 am

My brother-in-law had a friendly elderly neighbor woman who treated his dogs over the fence without his knowledge. She gave his two Chows several chocolate brownies one day. He finally noticed her feeding them while looking out the window. A little upset stomach but nothing major. He asked her to hold off on the chocolate treats, as after talking with her, he found out she had been giving them chocolate chip cookies every now and then too.

Slaeghunder

Post by Slaeghunder » Tue May 24, 2011 7:52 am

I'm not a vet either but I've been around dogs all my life, and I've seen them eat chocolate without any problems. The small amount in a chocolate confection accidentally gotten ahold of is not really anything to worry about - in small ammounts like that, it would have to be consumed on a regular basis to cause a lot of problems. The only time chocolate will cause big big problems at one sitting is if you have either a small dog or a huge amount of chocolate. If spot the Chihuahua eats a half pound of baking chocolate, he needs to go to the vet. If your bird dog snags some brownies off the kitchen counter, he just needs a butt whupping for getting on the counter.

Although, shoving some puke medicine down the gullet and making the dog hork them back up might be just as good as a butt whuppin. More work for the boss, if you ask me, but to each their own.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue May 24, 2011 8:19 am

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue May 24, 2011 8:39 am

To calculate what is actually harmful and what is not see below. Good guidelines for theobromine conc in each type of chocolate and what amounts are toxic.

From Merck:

Chocolate is derived from the roasted seeds of Theobroma cacao . The toxic principles in chocolate are the methylxanthines theobromine (3,7-dimethylxanthine) and caffeine (1,3,7-trimethylxanthine). Although the concentration of theobromine in chocolate is 3-10 times that of caffeine, both constituents contribute to the clinical syndrome seen in chocolate toxicosis. The exact amount of methylxanthines in chocolate varies due to natural variation of cocoa beans and variation within brands of chocolate products. However, in general, the total methylxanthine concentration of dry cocoa powder is ~800 mg/oz (28.5 mg/g), unsweetened (baker’s) chocolate is ~450 mg/oz (16 mg/g), semisweet chocolate and sweet dark chocolate is ~150-160 mg/oz (5.4-5.7 mg/g), and milk chocolate is ~64 mg/oz (2.3 mg/g). White chocolate is an insignificant source of methylxanthines. Cocoa bean hulls contain ~255 mg/oz (9.1 mg/g) methylxanthines.
The LD50 of caffeine and theobromine are reportedly 100-200 mg/kg, but severe signs and deaths may occur at much lower doses and individual sensitivity to methylxanthines varies. In general, mild signs (vomiting, diarrhea, polydipsia) may be seen in dogs ingesting 20 mg/kg, cardiotoxic effects may be seen at 40-50 mg/kg, and seizures may occur at doses ≥60 mg/kg. One ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight is a potentially lethal dose in dogs.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue May 24, 2011 9:21 am

jlp8cornell wrote:To calculate what is actually harmful and what is not see below. Good guidelines for theobromine conc in each type of chocolate and what amounts are toxic.

From Merck:

Chocolate is derived from the roasted seeds of Theobroma cacao . The toxic principles in chocolate are the methylxanthines theobromine (3,7-dimethylxanthine) and caffeine (1,3,7-trimethylxanthine). Although the concentration of theobromine in chocolate is 3-10 times that of caffeine, both constituents contribute to the clinical syndrome seen in chocolate toxicosis. The exact amount of methylxanthines in chocolate varies due to natural variation of cocoa beans and variation within brands of chocolate products. However, in general, the total methylxanthine concentration of dry cocoa powder is ~800 mg/oz (28.5 mg/g), unsweetened (baker’s) chocolate is ~450 mg/oz (16 mg/g), semisweet chocolate and sweet dark chocolate is ~150-160 mg/oz (5.4-5.7 mg/g), and milk chocolate is ~64 mg/oz (2.3 mg/g). White chocolate is an insignificant source of methylxanthines. Cocoa bean hulls contain ~255 mg/oz (9.1 mg/g) methylxanthines.
The LD50 of caffeine and theobromine are reportedly 100-200 mg/kg, but severe signs and deaths may occur at much lower doses and individual sensitivity to methylxanthines varies. In general, mild signs (vomiting, diarrhea, polydipsia) may be seen in dogs ingesting 20 mg/kg, cardiotoxic effects may be seen at 40-50 mg/kg, and seizures may occur at doses ≥60 mg/kg. One ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight is a potentially lethal dose in dogs.
So my dog would have to eat 6lbs? LOL

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:38 am

We had a boxer years ago that ate my daughters Easter basket while we were at church, grass, foil and all! He was'nt solid for a week but lived thru it. Oh and our yard looked very colorful with the bits of foil and colored grass! :lol:
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

B&BWeims

Post by B&BWeims » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:00 pm

He'll more than likely be fine, 1 or 2 cookies won't do any damage to your dog.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:21 pm

B&BWeims wrote:He'll more than likely be fine, 1 or 2 cookies won't do any damage to your dog.
Are you aware this happened over a month ago?

Ezzy

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:23 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
B&BWeims wrote:He'll more than likely be fine, 1 or 2 cookies won't do any damage to your dog.
Are you aware this happened over a month ago?

Ezzy

Might want to take a look at the year on the original post. :D
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.