Supplements

Georgia Boy

Supplements

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue May 17, 2011 4:50 pm

I was wondering what some of the show crowd here uses for their dogs coats. My male blew his coat hard this spring and I was considering a supplement. I can remember in a prior post one was recommended almost unanimously by the pros.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Supplements

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:55 pm

I can't help you as I never used one with our Labs, Brits, or Airdales. Maybe I should say I used a pat of butter occasionally if a dog needed a tad more condition but that was all.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

sully511

Post by sully511 » Tue May 17, 2011 8:17 pm

I have used Inflight Coat Formula in the past with my GSD. It worked great, made her shorter coat look more plushy and she didn't have any issues eating it when sprinkled on her food.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue May 17, 2011 8:58 pm

Organic virgin coconut oil. Does wonders with the coat.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Tue May 17, 2011 9:16 pm

I buy olive oil in the big bottle from Costco. I put about a tablespoon or a lttle less in my dogs food. They have nice coats.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue May 17, 2011 9:50 pm

Coconut oil is great. Once you buy it you will always seem to find some use for it. It is a solid fat but if your house is in the mid-70's it will be soft like butter.

Raw Egg yolks too.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed May 18, 2011 6:10 am

Fish oil.

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Wed May 18, 2011 6:51 am

Couple grams of cold water fish oil does wonders and has many other attributes besides making the coat fur hat worthy.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Wed May 18, 2011 7:14 am

Used Inflight Coat Formula for my Bernese that was shown.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed May 18, 2011 11:46 am

I have had excellent results with Animal Naturals Show Stopper.

http://www.k9power.com/k9-show-stopper.html

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Wed May 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Add a few squirts of high quality, wild, cold water fish oil. I use salmon(easily available fresh) but my old man back east(Mass.) uses and always sworn by cod liver oil for both human and canines. Yep, I even had to take it as a kid myself. One tablespoon cod liver oil everyday growing up. Nasty stuff but the results have been pretty darn good in the Northup family for both dog and man!

punch

Post by punch » Sun May 22, 2011 8:58 am

Virgin coconut oil and fish oil are excellent for a dog's skin and hair coat BUT beware with giving eggs because the egg white contains the substance Avidin which binds to biotin and interferes in the metabolism of vitamin B-complex. Egg yolk can be given but beware of salmonella contamination.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun May 22, 2011 3:56 pm

punch wrote:Virgin coconut oil and fish oil are excellent for a dog's skin and hair coat BUT beware with giving eggs because the egg white contains the substance Avidin which binds to biotin and interferes in the metabolism of vitamin B-complex. Egg yolk can be given but beware of salmonella contamination.
Eggs are not a major source of Salmonella despite what you read and besides I can't think of a better bacteria for a dog to get a hold of once in a while to keep the immune system well lubed.

Our bacteria free, hand sanitizer world is making us all weak.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun May 22, 2011 6:24 pm

That' s right. Two doctors I know won't use any anti bacterial soap, hand cleaner etc. They feel that is why so many people don't get the full healing effect of an anti biotic.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Mon May 23, 2011 6:17 am

I still think the best supplement for coats is salmon oil. Lots of Omega 3 fatty acids makes a huge difference. 2 grams a day for a dog this size would do wonders. If any northern breed in the line, I would add zinc, 200 mgs a day.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon May 23, 2011 6:50 am

Would you supplement your food? It has 1% omega 3's already???

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Mon May 23, 2011 7:04 am

No, I wouldn't supplement that.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Mon May 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Just my further 2 cents. Sometimes I forget to add the obvious! I believe the best "supplement" to improve a dogs performance, health, and appearance is also the very cheapest! Supply your dog with chlorine/chloramine/toxin free drinking water. Before you guys call me a quack...do a little research on your own about tap water toxicity in municipal supplies and well water leeching causing adverse health effects to humans, I can only image its effects on dogs as well. There are now inexpensive filters available to take out the Chlorine/Chloramine and other toxins such as lime and heavy metals. Or buy jugs of filtered water at your grocery store. You think I am kinding? Do it! Than lets touch base in 4-6 weeks. I think you might see some huge improvements and see a coat pop and shine! I know I did with my dogs when I started paying attention to the obvious a few years ago! -Mark Northup

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:12 pm

mcbosco wrote:Would you supplement your food? It has 1% omega 3's already???
There isn't a dog food manufacturer in the country that will tell you their feed needs supplementing and I have to agree with every one of them. Our dog food is so much better than a dog actully needs we are causing ourselves all kinds of problems and then trying to cure them by adding something else. But it's a potent market as you can see with all of the posts about dog food that have little bearing on actual facts.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue May 24, 2011 5:20 am

whats everyones opinion on bacon grease for the dogs coat..i remember my mom always saving it in a mug and reusing it for cooking and she gave it to our dogs and their coats were really shiney...coincidence or is it beneficial?...thanks...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue May 24, 2011 6:00 am

I wouldn't use bacon grease because of the high salt content. JMO

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue May 24, 2011 6:48 am

birddogger wrote:I wouldn't use bacon grease because of the high salt content. JMO

Charlie
Ditto plus you don't want to feed an animal fat that has been cooked to or beyond the smoking point. The safest oils are fish, coconut and olive oil.

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Tue May 24, 2011 8:17 am

Ezzy, I will tell you that my food would need supplementing at different times. Heavy stress, I would use additional salmon oil and raw meat. Early training, wet season, long endurance, add more fat to the diet in addition to raw meat. A dry kibble alone has its shortfalls at high periods of stress and there are times when some additional stuff will truly help a dog out. Shoot, there are dog teams on the Bering Sea Coast that run entirely on frozen fish, no kibble at all and they do great. Those eskimos know how to feed their animals and themselves from years of having to do it from what they catch. Kibbles are a conveniance factor for us humans.

But there is not a silver bullet supplement that makes the dog a true athlete without combining proper training, nutrition and genetics. Barry Bonds had the gift before all the steroid stuff but still needed to train and eat right.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue May 24, 2011 8:29 am

mcbosco wrote:
birddogger wrote:I wouldn't use bacon grease because of the high salt content. JMO

Charlie
Ditto plus you don't want to feed an animal fat that has been cooked to or beyond the smoking point. The safest oils are fish, coconut and olive oil.
and out of those which is best in your opinion? would you recommend these oils if the dogs coat is fine but as an added boost to their diet or only if its really needed?....ruth

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue May 24, 2011 8:44 am

and out of those which is best in your opinion? would you recommend these oils if the dogs coat is fine but as an added boost to their diet or only if its really needed?....ruth
I use fish oil- not for their coats though. Coats are great w/o it. I use it bc of effects on joint health/inflammation/arthritis/amongst others......

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue May 24, 2011 8:45 am

jlp8cornell wrote:
I use fish oil- not for their coats though. Coats are great w/o it. I use it bc of effects on joint health/inflammation/arthritis/amongst others......

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue May 24, 2011 11:42 am

My good friend Yanos from Poland feeds his dog a mix of meat cooked wit hrice only that. His dog glows in teh sun, the coat is so silky and smooth. Shines better thsan any dog Iever saw. He told me no dog food in Poland, this is how we do it there. I dont believe that :) but he does know some stuff, a guy to learn from IMHO.

I love to hang around the older guys, they have a wealth of knowlegde just waiting for someone to come by and pick it out.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue May 24, 2011 11:48 am

GUNDOGS wrote:
mcbosco wrote:

Charlie

Coconut

kumate

Post by kumate » Sat May 28, 2011 3:02 pm

I give Dante 1 tsp twice daily. Doubt he needs it but it is a treat. I have 3 tsp daily myself it is delicious. I put 1 tsp in a serving of steamed veggies with some sea salt and garlic powder mmmm good

Jerry

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat May 28, 2011 7:30 pm

Coconut oil is hard to find around here without going to a specialty store. It makes the best pop corn!

Charlie

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun May 29, 2011 4:04 am

birddogger wrote:Coconut oil is hard to find around here without going to a specialty store. It makes the best pop corn!

Charlie
That's what I was saying. Every time you use the stuff for something you get hooked. Saute some shrimp or filets in coconut oil, yumm.

You can also try SH-EMP OIl which is fish, hemp and coconut oil.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun May 29, 2011 6:34 am

Bosco, where do you get it?

Charlie

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun May 29, 2011 11:32 am

http://www.carmspack.com/8_contact_us/contact_us.htm

this breeder sells it, but i have seen it dog shows and a pet supply shows

Red

Post by Red » Sun May 29, 2011 1:17 pm

coconut oil
Reg or Extra Virgin?
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun May 29, 2011 6:32 pm

Red wrote:
coconut oil
Reg or Extra Virgin?

If it is just for the dog, then regular, but the Extra Virgin tastes and smells the best and you might like using it for human cooking. The supermarket by me only carries extra virgin though.

whiterock

Post by whiterock » Mon May 30, 2011 7:57 pm

Agree fish oils are the way to go. Also would note that better dog foods have fish oils already in them, as well as a longish list of other things that in various ways will help coat.

You could also simply feed raw diet for about 60 days. Raw is expensive and a pain to feed, but it will glow up a coat like you cannot imagine.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue May 31, 2011 2:54 pm

Most of the dog foods get the majority of the Omega 3's they list from Flax oil. In the research I have been doing they say the plant based ones are very hard for a dog to use and that they only get 1-2% of what is there. I went ahead and ordered a half gallon of salmon oil.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:03 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:Most of the dog foods get the majority of the Omega 3's they list from Flax oil. In the research I have been doing they say the plant based ones are very hard for a dog to use and that they only get 1-2% of what is there. I went ahead and ordered a half gallon of salmon oil.
Do you think that most of the dog food companies go to the time, trouble, and expense of including an ingredient in their feed that the dogs can't use or digest? Where and what does all of the undigested oil go and do I wonder?

Ezzy

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue May 31, 2011 5:09 pm

I KNOW, I KNOW...... I clean it up every day.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue May 31, 2011 5:39 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:Most of the dog foods get the majority of the Omega 3's they list from Flax oil. In the research I have been doing they say the plant based ones are very hard for a dog to use and that they only get 1-2% of what is there. I went ahead and ordered a half gallon of salmon oil.
This is entirely true. Plant based ALA is not readily available like the EPA & DHA in fish oil. The dog must convert ALA to EPA & DHA.

There is also research showing that converted ALA does not help with inflammation like EPA & DHA.

So there is little question that fish oil is better and that better dog foods will use both.

If you see a dog food with 1% Omega 3 and it has fish meal and fish oil it is far better than cheaper foods with just flax at say .5%. The difference is far greater than .5%.

This is another reason that feeding better foods is more cost efficient in the long run. It is too bad Menhaden oil is not available to retail buyers because it is great stuff.

Georgia Boy keep that oil in the fridge because a half gallon is a lot of oil.

fordman

Post by fordman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:03 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Do you think that most of the dog food companies go to the time, trouble, and expense of including an ingredient in their feed that the dogs can't use or digest? Where and what does all of the undigested oil go and do I wonder?

Ezzy
It goes back into the ground, Recycling. :mrgreen:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:37 pm

fordman wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
It goes back into the ground, Recycling. :mrgreen:
Bet that is where the crude oil comes from. They fed the dinosaurs lots of supplements and the wrong kind of omega 3 and when they died they were full of oil. And now we benefit from the supplements. May have to change my whole line of thinking. Finally see a benefit from feeding them.

Ezzy

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:12 am

Ezzy, You da man :roll: