Just listening....

nanney1

Just listening....

Post by nanney1 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:48 am

Was over at Tractor Supply and walked by the dog food aisles and saw an older couple deliberating over dog food. I heard her say, "We need something new, they're tired of what we've been feeding them." He looked at a bag of Diamond Puppy, then she went for the bag of Dad's Trail Mix. Then on to TSC's Retriever Puppy and then Pedigree. By then I had walked to the other side of the aisle. They came around and started looking at the Premium side of the aisle: Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, etc... Finally they began talking to another senior aged lady who recommended Science Diet. They apparently decided to give it a try as they put it in their shopping buggy. From what I overheard, I think they have a Chihuahua litter.

I tried not to be too nosy, but it was just interesting to see all of the different types of food they were looking at. They only looked at the front of the bag and I guess the packaging or size/shape of the food, or the description of the flavor was what they were looking at. In the end, they took another person's recommendation.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Just listening....

Post by mcbosco » Thu May 26, 2011 11:09 am

My local place carries at last count 50 brands of dry food and at least 10 brands of raw frozen, not to mention numerous canned, dehydrated and precooked fresh brands. The store only puts the 5lb bags on the shelf because they dont have room in the store. There is a kid in a golf cart that brings the orders out from the warehouse next to the main store. Next they will just put a picture of the food on the shelf to save space.

It is crazy how many brands and choices there are.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu May 26, 2011 11:26 am

A lot of my high end customers choose a food based on the breed pictured on the bag. Seriously. If there isn't a dog, they describe the packaging. If I hear Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (dumb name, great marketing on Diamond's part to license with the books) called Campell's Chicken Soup one more time, I'm going to cry. Some people have argued that Premium Edge is a vegetarian food because of the pictures on the bag, even though it shows meat, too. I've had Diamond called "Jewel," Eukanuba called "Hokey Pokey," and had people come in for Taste of the Wild's poultry formula and ask for "duck food." Imagine the surprise on the last when I tried to sell them a fifty pound bag of Purina Gamebird. Oops.

Gotta go. Oakie just cruised by outside with a box turtle. Maybe I've got a line on a new treat: TURTLE JERKY!
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Thu May 26, 2011 4:05 pm

I hear you guys. I also sell dog food fr a living(30 brands). Crazy times I tell you! CC, Turtle Jerky biz sounds like a very good idea. Seriously, didn't Campell's once mass market Cream of Turtle(snapper) Maybe we should relive the market for dogs as the next greatest "novel" protein!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:25 pm

northUpland wrote:I hear you guys. I also sell dog food fr a living(30 brands). Crazy times I tell you! CC, Turtle Jerky biz sounds like a very good idea. Seriously, didn't Campell's once mass market Cream of Turtle(snapper) Maybe we should relive the market for dogs as the next greatest "novel" protein!
Don't be wasting good turtle on a dog.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu May 26, 2011 5:57 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
northUpland wrote:I hear you guys. I also sell dog food fr a living(30 brands). Crazy times I tell you! CC, Turtle Jerky biz sounds like a very good idea. Seriously, didn't Campell's once mass market Cream of Turtle(snapper) Maybe we should relive the market for dogs as the next greatest "novel" protein!
Don't be wasting good turtle on a dog.

Ezzy
True, softshell turtle soup is one of my fav's when i go to florida to visit family..that and swamp cabbage mmm :D ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)