Scabs on ears?

Georgia Hunter

Scabs on ears?

Post by Georgia Hunter » Fri May 27, 2011 11:48 pm

Lately when I bring my dog in at night Ive noticed the hair on his ears are wet. I figured some other dogs had licked them or something. No big deal. Well tonight I looked closer while I was inspecting for ticks and I noticed on the outside of his ears where they are wet there are scabs. Its not like he was scratched or in a fight but they are just little scab spots on the outside flap of his ears. Is this a heat rash or something? Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be a flea or tick or something? Thats what my mom thought but if it were I would have thought those scabs would have been all over his body. Could it possibly be all these flys that are biting? They normally bite his nose but they dont leave scabs like these they kinda just stop bleeding. Any thoughts on what it could be? I can try to get some pics up if I can

jlp8cornell

Re: Scabs on ears?

Post by jlp8cornell » Sat May 28, 2011 5:02 am

Around here the black flies have been terrible for the last few weeks. I would guess the scabs might be from some kind of insect.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat May 28, 2011 5:13 am

jlp8cornell wrote:Around here the black flies have been terrible for the last few weeks. I would guess the scabs might be from some kind of insect.
+1 i say flies for sure..ive gotten dogs from rescue that the ears have exactly what you are describing and ive been around horses my hole life as well and the flies eat their ears up..get some stuff from the vet to help protect the ears, i use vasceline but my dogs arent out all that long so your best bet is to first confirm what it is with the vet, then prevent further damage and they might have something more effective if the dogs has to be outside, good luck....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat May 28, 2011 5:48 am

Flies. Use an antibiotic ointment.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:37 am

Vicks is cheap and does a great job of keeping flies and gnats off of the dogs ears as well as yours when you are outside.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Slaeghunder

Post by Slaeghunder » Sat May 28, 2011 9:42 pm

Flies are heck on dog ears in the summer, a lot of my dogs have been full time outside dogs (fenced yard/kennel) and I've frequently had to deal with this issue. Like someone else mentioned vicks works, but I tend to use bag balm - it's a Vaseline-like substance so it coats and protects the ears like vicks,but it also has antibiotic and healing properties to it, to speedily heal up spots that have already gotten chewed up. It's also good for yourself, heals cuts and bruises faster, it's good stuff. The only thing better that I know of is Burts' Bees Miracle Salve, but it's more expensive.

Bag Balm - http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CE8Q8gIwAg

Burts' Bees Miracle Salve - http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CGkQ8gIwAA

Georgia Hunter

Post by Georgia Hunter » Sat May 28, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks for the info yall. Here are a couple pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat May 28, 2011 11:28 pm

Fly bites. Add Boudreaux's Butt Paste to the list of of good stuff to put on owees.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun May 29, 2011 3:56 am

I was looking at pictures. That just looks like summer crud from moisture. I would keep them clean and just use supermarket Sulfodene.

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Mon May 30, 2011 8:34 am

Use bio spot it works for about 30 days , apply as directed and rub some on ears.