Bladder Control for Lab, 90 lbs, How Long?

bradsonger

Bladder Control for Lab, 90 lbs, How Long?

Post by bradsonger » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:29 am

Hi Everyone - My lab Knox is 9 months old now, approaching 90 lbs. As an adult (or even now) what's a realistic amount of time he should be able to hold his bladder? Thus far I've been coming home everday for lunch to let him out. Ends up being 5 and 6 hr. hold duration. He's gone a long as 9 without racing for the door when we got home. I've heard people with large dogs say 10-13 hrs of hold time is routine so long as you with practice and pay attention to water intake.

I'd like some feedback on this one.
Brad S.

jlp8cornell

Re: Bladder Control for Lab, 90 lbs, How Long?

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:34 am

My dogs (GSP and large Hound X) easily go for 10 hours. The Hound who is almost 13 yrs old sometimes waits to go out even though I open the door to the dog yard. Never had a problem....

bradsonger

Post by bradsonger » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 pm

Thanks Cornell. Any suggestions on food/water scheduling? Or do they regulate themselves?
Brad S.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:57 pm

Mine eat at 6:30am or so and then again in the evening whenever I get home. I leave at 7:00 so it gives them 1/2hr to go out in the yard. They both have water all of the time. My guess is they sleep 95% of the time I am gone.

Jen

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:28 pm

My older pointer can hold it for 12 hours. Not to say that I make her do that often, just that she can. I try to keep it to a maximum of 8 hours if I have to work away from home. I do not free feed, so my feeding schedule is pretty standard - and I do allow them free access to water. My dogs are mostly crated when I'm not home or in the outdoor kennel. Only one or two are allowed in the house without supervision.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:26 pm

What about smaller dogs like Brittanies? Can they go for 8 or 9 hours around this age?

bradsonger

Post by bradsonger » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:59 am

Thanks a lot, everyone. I'm consistently impressed with how well supported this forum is with knowledgeable members. I'm on some other forums for things like cars, A/V, etc. and it's clear I've been spoiled with how quickly someone responds to a GunDog post compared to other forums. Kudos.

FYI, I just bought this gate from Amazon. Since (sooner or later) he'll be spending more time at home during the day without a visit from his papa, I'll let him stretch out a little more, gating him to the kitchen instead of his XL wire kennel. Our house isn't huge so if this works out, it will be nice to reclaim some floor space, and use the kennel for travel instead of day-to-day "operations".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001J05GY
Brad S.

bradsonger

Post by bradsonger » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:27 pm

Just an update on this: Knox has done amazingly well going 11 hrs in his kennel between potty breaks during the day. I took a week to ease him into a longer hold periods, gradually adding more time each day. Now we get home after 11 hrs., let him out of his kennel, and he doesn't even ask to go outside for another 30 mins. Thanks for your input on this one.
Brad S.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:44 pm

I swear my Jack Russell can go 24 hours . Unbelievable. Eats once a day and has water available at all times. 13 years old
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett