Springer pup, new puppy food, and soft poo...

Green

Springer pup, new puppy food, and soft poo...

Post by Green » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:19 am

Riley, my new Springer pup, is now just over 9 weeks old and seems to be adjusting well to his new home. I've got a concern with his food and his poo though. The guy I bought him from was feeding Science Diet puppy food. I want to avoid corn based food, so I bought a bag of Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Lamb and Rice. I wanted to go with Adult Chicken and Rice, but the store didn't have any...when the puppy food is gone, he'll switch to the Chicken & Rice. Anyway, I've been mixing 1/2 cup Science Diet with 1/2 cup Diamond and feeding twice a day (total of 2 cups per day). Riley's stools have been (what I consider to be) overly soft, almost like chocolate pudding. When I got him, he was making semi solid turds. Is he just not used to the new food yet or am I feeding too much? Is it just because he's young? I also read somewhere that Lamb may cause loose stools...any truth to that?

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Springer pup, new puppy food, and soft poo...

Post by shags » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:42 am

A nine week old puppy, I'd be feeding three times a day with smaller portions. Running too much food into 'em at a meal can make them loose.

Also, make sure he doesn't have worms and check for coccidia (the stress of moving to a new home etc can stir it up).

Green

Post by Green » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:53 am

He was wormed for the second time a week before I brought him home. Should I take him to the vet already or ride it out a little longer. I don't want to panic.

Lukenbill

Post by Lukenbill » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:34 am

I'm definitely no expert but our springer pup, Rigley, was very inconsistent for a fair amount of time with her stools. We didn't change her diet at all until much later but we figured it was one of, or a combination of, a few reasons: she's in a new environment (a little stressful on them), getting a lot more one on one attention then she was previously and also eating random new things while trying to figure out what everything was.

We kept an eye on her weight and made sure she was well hydrated and everything went good.

Congrats on the new pup!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:19 pm

Green wrote:He was wormed for the second time a week before I brought him home. Should I take him to the vet already or ride it out a little longer. I don't want to panic.
Reading your OP there are a couple of things that stick out. Sounds like the puppy was doing well till you decided what it should eat. I too might have changed feeds down the road but not when you have just brought the pup into a completely different environment. The top three things you should think about when deciding what to feed: is it readily available so I won't have to switch again, can I afford it, and does the puppy like it and doing well on it. Sounds like the Science Diet met those requirements but I also think the Diamond Naturals is a good feed and possibly better than the Science Diet. But if the change was to be made it should be in a few weeks and not while the pups whole life style us changing. I would get the pup back on 3 X a day feeding for a couple of months or start free feeding. That works pretty well for young puppies. And it does sound like you may be feeding more than the puppy really needs since it is a smaller breed. So you might cut back slightly if you don't see a change from the feeding schedule.

Nothing you have said indicates the puppy has a problem but more that you have decided what the puppy should eat, how much it should eat, and what condition the stools should be in. I would like to see you let the puppy decide some of those things and anytime the stools get too loose cut the feed a little. Reading a bag may make you feel better but has little to do with just how good a feed is and how your dog is doing on it. There are thousands of dogs that eat each kind of food on the market and do well on them. Probably the vast majority of field dogs are being fed feeds containing corn. Chicken, lamb, and just plain meat meal all work well and dogs do well on all of them. My advice is don't get caught up in all of the mainly garbage floating around about how one type of feed or one ingredient is better than all the rest. If there was even one iota of truth to that we all would be feeding it and there would only be the one feed available. Dogs are dogs, and feed them as such. We spend all of this time and money on having to have a certain feed or we can't feed a certain ingredient and then we turn our dogs loose and they eat every kind of poop they can find, every kind of dead rotten stuff they can find, and most every kind of grain and fruit they can find and love it. And then we bring them home and have to buy a special feed because they have a sensitive stomach.

Your puppy is fine, make a few changes and watch for the results. They will show rather quickly. But if a small problem does get worse and doesn't improve for three or four days do get to the vet.

Good luck,

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:55 pm

2 cups sounds like too much and in 1 cup meals too much at once. In a smaller breed you would be amazed what a cut-back of 1/4 cup will do. I raised Jack Russels and I used to cut back by the kibble piece if a 9 week old was getting too much. :D

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:08 pm

Corn is fine provided it is processed right. Many companies process the corn..if it is a cheap food then no the ground dried corn will go through them undigested like pedigree does

As for Lamb unless there is a reason to feed it sensitive stomach issues I don't bother Lamb feeds I have always noticed to be a green pasty poo was nasty to try and hose off kennel floors.

As for how much My 9 week old pups I feed about a cup of the loyal performance once a day..SO 2 cups is a bunch for a little baby puppies system to process That is about how much I feed My Adult dogs

just something to compare with
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Green

Post by Green » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:28 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Green wrote:He was wormed for the second time a week before I brought him home. Should I take him to the vet already or ride it out a little longer. I don't want to panic.
Reading your OP there are a couple of things that stick out. Sounds like the puppy was doing well till you decided what it should eat. Who else should make this decision? I've never been a fan of the Science Diet hype or price. Before I brought the pup home, I decided that I would not be feeding Science Diet so I did some research on this forum. Based on what I read, Diamond Naturals provides good nutrition for growth and a healthy coat. I too might have changed feeds down the road but not when you have just brought the pup into a completely different environment. I didn't cut the Science Diet off completely, I'm gradually tapering it out of his diet. Would it be best to keep him on the SD? The top three things you should think about when deciding what to feed: is it readily available so I won't have to switch again, can I afford it, and does the puppy like it and doing well on it. Sounds like the Science Diet met those requirements but I also think the Diamond Naturals is a good feed and possibly better than the Science Diet. But if the change was to be made it should be in a few weeks and not while the pups whole life style us changing. Again, should I keep rolling on the SD and try the Diamond later? I would get the pup back on 3 X a day feeding for a couple of months or start free feeding. That works pretty well for young puppies. And it does sound like you may be feeding more than the puppy really needs since it is a smaller breed. So you might cut back slightly if you don't see a change from the feeding schedule.

Nothing you have said indicates the puppy has a problem but more that you have decided what the puppy should eat, how much it should eat, and what condition the stools should be in. Why do you keep saying "I decided" as if it's not my place to do so? Of course I picked the food. I pay for it and have to get it to the house. Who else should pick the food for my dog? He can't read (or pay). I'm sure he would eat Ol' Roy or prime rib if I offered, but I'm not going to give either to him. As far as the stools go, I've seen dog turds before...I know what they should look like. I would like to see you let the puppy decide some of those things and anytime the stools get too loose cut the feed a little This is the information I was looking for. Too bad I had to pick it out of a lot of condescending text that has done nothing more than make me feel like I have no business owning a dog and should sell it.. Reading a bag may make you feel better but has little to do with just how good a feed is and how your dog is doing on it I know what you're trying to say. However, I'm not going to just go grab the first bag of food off the shelf and wait three months to find out my pup isn't growing the way he should be. There's a reason why nobody on this form recommends Alpo or Ol' Roy...and it's not because it costs too much. By selecting a reputable food that is affordable and readily available, I can eliminate a little of the guesswork and hopefully eliminate the need to change foods too often.. There are thousands of dogs that eat each kind of food on the market and do well on them. Probably the vast majority of field dogs are being fed feeds containing corn. Chicken, lamb, and just plain meat meal all work well and dogs do well on all of them. My advice is don't get caught up in all of the mainly garbage floating around about how one type of feed or one ingredient is better than all the rest. If there was even one iota of truth to that we all would be feeding it and there would only be the one feed available. Dogs are dogs, and feed them as such. We spend all of this time and money on having to have a certain feed or we can't feed a certain ingredient and then we turn our dogs loose and they eat every kind of poop they can find, every kind of dead rotten stuff they can find, and most every kind of grain and fruit they can find and love it. And then we bring them home and have to buy a special feed because they have a sensitive stomach.

Your puppy is fine, make a few changes and watch for the results. They will show rather quickly. But if a small problem does get worse and doesn't improve for three or four days do get to the vet.

Good luck,

Ezzy
Ezzy, I sincerely thank you for the advice. You are very knowledgeable and I've gained a lot of useful information from reading your posts in the short time I've been a member. However, your delivery could occasionally use a little work.

Lukenbill

Post by Lukenbill » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:44 pm

I had to laugh when I read Ezzy's post...that's exactly Rigley on what she eats. We make sure she gets the absolute best food, but of course last weekend when we were out training on some state land she insisted on eating the horse turd in the parking lot...and rabbit poop, it's a delicacy!

On a serious note though, I agree with what was posted earlier about 2 cups being too much. We feed our pup much less than what most dog food bags will tell you to feed your dog. Talk to your vet about it and they will tell you what should be about right. We've never gone over 1 and 1/3 cups of food in a day. Of course that doesn't take into account the fact she's small for her breed and all the treats she earns for her work (which we're slowly weening her off of).

*UPDATE* I mispoke...we actually gave Rigley 2 cups food total throughout the day. So you can scratch that entire second paragraph. We tried going up to 2 and 1/3 cups for a while but went back down when she started to gain a little extra fat than normal.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Green wrote:
Ezzy, I sincerely thank you for the advice. You are very knowledgeable and I've gained a lot of useful information from reading your posts in the short time I've been a member. However, your delivery could occasionally use a little work.
You know you are probably right. But many times you have to try and read things into what people are saying. I knew I came on a little hard but was hoping it would cause you to really pay attention, and luckily it worked. Sounds now like I wouldn't have needed to do that. Sorry. I too do not care for the Science Diet for the reasons you stated and would have changed ut I was try to say sometimes we need to think through the whole situation and go slow.

Sounds like you have things under control and hope it stays that way. And if I can help let me know.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:47 pm

I would not be overly worried at this point. You can try cutting back on the amt fed, try smaller meals more often and/or try adding some probiotics. I know there are those on the board here that don;t believe in adding probiotics, but I have had great success with them. I feel that worst case scenario, dosed according to the instructions, probiotics can cause no harm. They are good for stressful situations to keep the digestive tract populated with good micro-organisms. I have also found a HUGE reduction in the Brittany gas in our house! Use your best judgement as to how to proceed with your pup, that's all any of us can do!

Green

Post by Green » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:43 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Green wrote:
You know you are probably right. But many times you have to try and read things into what people are saying. I knew I came on a little hard but was hoping it would cause you to really pay attention, and luckily it worked. Sounds now like I wouldn't have needed to do that. Sorry. I too do not care for the Science Diet for the reasons you stated and would have changed ut I was try to say sometimes we need to think through the whole situation and go slow.

Sounds like you have things under control and hope it stays that way. And if I can help let me know.

Ezzy
I got home last night and cleaned up the kennel. It seems everything is now normal for puppy poo...he's leaving piles now instead of puddles. Same thing this morning. Hopefully he learns to quit stepping in it soon. :roll: Thanks again to you and everyone else that chimed in.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:57 am

GREEN, at least your pup steps in it instead of eating it like my boxer does :roll:, i think he just believes in recylcing :mrgreen: ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Green

Post by Green » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:11 pm

Lol...I really hope he doesn't start that, he still has puppy breath. :mrgreen: