puppy throwing up

44magnum

puppy throwing up

Post by 44magnum » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:33 am

My 5 month old DD has all his shots and has been wormed. He likes to play with my shepherd a lot and I think he ingests lots of hair from chewing on her. He started throwing up about an hour ago and the puke has lots of hair in it. Will this just run it's course? I've never encountered this in the previous five dogs I've had. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: puppy throwing up

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:40 am

If your shepherd is like everyone elses' she's probably still blowing undercoat. The behavior sounds like typical social grooming. Try putting a taste deterrent spray, like bitter apple on the the shepherd. You might have her groomed out completely, too, to eliminate the extra hair.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:49 am

I would guess the pup is picking the hair up off the floor or ground and eating it as well. Put a few pennies in a can and if you see it shake the can and say no.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:08 pm

44magnum wrote:My 5 month old DD has all his shots and has been wormed. He likes to play with my shepherd a lot and I think he ingests lots of hair from chewing on her. He started throwing up about an hour ago and the puke has lots of hair in it. Will this just run it's course? I've never encountered this in the previous five dogs I've had. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Was it just the one time throwing up..If so could be the furr he is ingesting. but if you see any other clinical signs be wary..PS just because a dog has all their shots doesn't mean that they still can't come down with parvo etc
There was a super bad strain of parvo that went around back end of OCT Nov it nailed a lot of pups that had already been vaccinated..Though the vaccinated dogs got over it much better and quicker then those that weren't vaccinated

So just keep an eye out for anything else that may not seem right..
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

44magnum

Post by 44magnum » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:57 pm

Thanks for the advise. Yes the shepherd is blowing her coat and we have had her groomed several times. She does look like she's coming to the end of it. I think I will have to start sweeping the dog room they hang out in daily to keep up with the hair so he doesn't ingest it from the floor. Aside from the vomiting, he doesn't appear to be lethargic or down but I'll keep a close eye on him in the coming days. He hasn't vomited for a few hours so I'll try to feed him again later and see what happens. Thanks again for the responses.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:15 pm

Boiled , drained white rice with boiled, drained lean hamburg is recommended for dogs vomiting.

Once or twice is not a big deal but more than that for a pup can be serious. They get dehydrated very quickly.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:31 pm

What, if any, topical flea and tick treatment do you use and how recently was it applied? Regarding the dog room, if there are hair tufts, the pup may be chasing and grabbing them. Hopefully, you can file this under "dogs are weird."

44magnum

Post by 44magnum » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:14 pm

I treated him with frontline when he was 10 weeks old but nothing since. I think it's the dog hair and I'll keep an eye on him for dehydration and clean up the dog hair daily. No more vomiting for now so I think he'll be alright.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:24 pm

I'm sorry, but I think you may have a serious issue. Your DD may think he's a cat, :)

Glad he's better.

44magnum

Post by 44magnum » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:50 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:I'm sorry, but I think you may have a serious issue. Your DD may think he's a cat, :)

Glad he's better.
Haha! Seeing as how cats aren't allowed by ME this is a VERY serious issue. :lol:

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:21 pm

My wife says it best: "Dogs Bark, Dogs Dig, Dogs Chew Things Up and Dogs Throw Up, thats what Dogs do"

44magnum

Post by 44magnum » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:32 pm

mcbosco wrote:My wife says it best: "Dogs Bark, Dogs Dig, Dogs Chew Things Up and Dogs Throw Up, thats what Dogs do"
A big thumbs up to that!