38-17 what do you think?

terrym

38-17 what do you think?

Post by terrym » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:36 pm

My male Brittany pup is almost a yr old so I switched off the Purina Pro Select puppy mix over to a brand called Orijin. It's more expensive but seems to have excellent numbers and ingredients. It has less than 25% carb and 38% protein and 17% fat. So far the dog seems to love it and eats it up faster than he ever did with the other brand. I figure at 12 mths he has another full year of bone development so a quality food is money well spent no? Any opinions about this food's spec's?

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/adultAnalysis.aspx
Last edited by terrym on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: 37-17 what do you think?

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Way out of balance for my preference...not into body building and fat is where the energy is at. So it is a pass on it for me
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:06 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Way out of balance for my preference...not into body building and fat is where the energy is at. So it is a pass on it for me
Can you explain more what you mean? If I'm on the wrong track I don't mind switching directions. But "some" body building on a growing dog seems like a good thing but I'm open minded and looking for opinions and experience. I was thinking of trying him on this hi test stuff until he's 2 yrs old and physically mature.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:09 pm

Orijen is very well known in the US but it is very expensive, as much as $90 a bag for 28lbs for the red meat formula and $65 for the regular formula. You might find this food to light in fat and carbs for a dog running at a Brittany's pace but it may work for you.

Earthborn Primitive is significantly less money and just as good according to friends that use both if you like this style of food.

Many of us have tried grain free, low carb foods and in my case he lost too much weight on them. You might find that the low carbs does that for your dog.

My dog has done best on the least food when eating either Annamaet Ultra or Dr. Tim's Pursuit. Traditional 30/20 types.

See how it goes.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:59 pm

terrym wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:Way out of balance for my preference...not into body building and fat is where the energy is at. So it is a pass on it for me
Can you explain more what you mean? If I'm on the wrong track I don't mind switching directions. But "some" body building on a growing dog seems like a good thing but I'm open minded and looking for opinions and experience. I was thinking of trying him on this hi test stuff until he's 2 yrs old and physically mature.
Body builder build up muscle to look pretty are are useless when it comes to running and physical action.

Your runner and you weight lifter eat different

Athletes need energy to burn ..protein is to rebuild muscle so yes animals need carbs and proteins both but if the fat is to low then your not going to have the energy to burn and then your body is going to start stripping muscle..this takes longer recoop time. keeping things more balanced I have found in my dogs also encourages faster re coop times for the next days hunt or trial

I can see that fancy food for a show dog the ones that are not Dual Champion type but the breeds where they exercise just enough to make it around the ring a few times and look good doing it.

I rely on my dogs so though I am not about the cheapest food I am about a food that my dogs can serve their purpose in life :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Sue

Post by Sue » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:07 pm

Interesting discussion to hear folks' opinions on dog food in relation to a working dog going all day and the issue of keeping weight on.

Does anyone here have an opinion of feeding raw... like this? http://leerburg.com/feedingarawdiet.htm
Has anyone here who runs dogs for all day hunting tried it, or have thoughts about it?

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:41 pm

I have talked to a few breeders and trainers who are feeding raw and swear by it. Not sure I want that hassle of sourcing and storing raw. And the way I see it in the raw food how d you know exactly what your fat ratio is? One thing I am thinking of doing is supplementing the dry with venison burger occasionally. Likely not so much in summer but moreso when the hunting season starts up in the fall.

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:48 pm

mcbosco wrote:Orijen is very well known in the US but it is very expensive, as much as $90 a bag for 28lbs for the red meat formula and $65 for the regular formula. You might find this food to light in fat and carbs for a dog running at a Brittany's pace but it may work for you.

Earthborn Primitive is significantly less money and just as good according to friends that use both if you like this style of food.

Many of us have tried grain free, low carb foods and in my case he lost too much weight on them. You might find that the low carbs does that for your dog.

My dog has done best on the least food when eating either Annamaet Ultra or Dr. Tim's Pursuit. Traditional 30/20 types.

See how it goes.
It's made up here in Canada so we get it for less money. I can get a 28lb bag for $70.00 and Purina PP goes for around $58.00. I'm only feeding one dog so really not too concerned about the difference. Having said that I want to buy the best for what the dog needs so I'm listening to everybody's opinions at this point. The Marketing info really is too biased to form much of an opinion.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:27 pm

I have to many dogs and not enough of a good source to even consider raw as a viable source of feeding.

Worse thing is you try it and if your dog can't maintain the energy you may desire for hunting then change..PPP is a decent food despite what people may say..I personally like how my dogs do on the loyall feed over how they do on PPP but there are 1000's of dogs out there that are trialed and hunted and do well on it.

So guess I am saying if I had only those two choices between the two you have posted I would do the PPP

Onk

Post by Onk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:43 pm

37-17...don't think in all the foods i've looked at I have ever seen a 37% protein feed or such a wide protein/fat gap.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:47 pm

Body builder build up muscle to look pretty are are useless when it comes to running and physical action.

Your runner and you weight lifter eat different
And they are old enough that their muscles and bones are fully developed.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:02 pm

Onk wrote:37-17...don't think in all the foods i've looked at I have ever seen a 37% protein feed or such a wide protein/fat gap.
http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/adultAnalysis.aspx
Have a look.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:26 pm

champion foods also makes a brand called Acana that is around 33/18 and quite a bit cheaper. I have had great results with it, highly recommend it.

brandon

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:09 am

37/17 doesn't make much sense to me for a working dog. I have done raw plus kibble for years, averaged about 1000 lbs of beef a month plus a kibble for our kennel. It is a bit of work. With a 35/25 feed, which I think is a much better balanced food than a 37/17, we feed much less raw beef now. Raw meats do impart more of what are called "growth factors" to the dog. The so called "growth factors" are lost in processing and a hard working dog does respond very well to raw product. What's a "growth factor?" A yet undiscovered vitamin or something like that.

Some interesting observations from fellow forum followers as I am always listening to what folks have seen work and not work with their dogs. There is an old adage about "if it ain't broke don't fix it" that many of us follow. I did and do, but once in awhile try something different to see if it makes something work better. I was amazed when I did that with my dogs and am constantly learning and trying. Time for more coffee.

MTO4Life

Re: 38-17 what do you think?

Post by MTO4Life » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:57 pm

I'm on the Acana Sport and Agility for my dogs (same maker as Orijen i believe) and it is a 32/24 i think (off the top of my head). Dogs seem to be doing very well as they are active. Was on pro plan performance, but my one dog had an issue with it, so I switched. So far the Acana is working for me, but it is a bit more expensive.

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm

It is all about finding what works for your dog and getting the results you are looking for.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:23 pm

wish i could get the acana sport and agility here in the US, they do not export it to here. have to buy it in CA.

brandon

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:21 am

Diamond Extreme Athlete which is 33/25 is $37.00 for a 40lb bag at Tractor Supply.

-John

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:35 am

Started with Orijen and I must say for what we were paying I was very disappointed, not worth the money in my opinion (got expensive and energy level didn't seem real high, great coat, great stools)
TOTW - (Bit cheaper then Orijen. Energy level still not where we wanted, great coat, great stools)
Diamond Extreme - (Inexpensive, poor coat, inconsistent stools, bad gas but energy level out of this world!)
NutriSource - (Currently feeding this. Great coat, reasonably priced, good stools and great energy level)

All four feeds are readily available in our area. Will probably be sticking with NutriSource for now and switch over to NutriSource Performance eventually.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:13 pm

mcclinj wrote:Diamond Extreme Athlete which is 33/25 is $37.00 for a 40lb bag at Tractor Supply.

-John
I pay 34.99 down here.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno