Hunting First Aid Kit

JordiLa

Hunting First Aid Kit

Post by JordiLa » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Besides the basic that everyone should have on them or in the truck. What esle do you guys put in your first aid kits for your dogs when taking hunting trips. Looking for some good ideas while I'm revamping my kit for hunting trips this fall.

Thanks JL !
If you turn the imagination loose like a hunting dog, it will often return with a bird in its mouth! (william maxwell)

Sue

Re: Hunting First Aid Kit

Post by Sue » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:51 pm

Benadryl for allergic reactions. That's about the one thing I can think of that is absolutely life saving at the right time. You can get the pills at the drugstore. If your vet will do it for you, (and you feel comfortable doing an injection) you can get an ampule and syringe for an IM injection, in a real emergency.

Its on my mind tonight as our Tessa just had an allergic reaction tonight... almost needed the IM injection, but we seem to be OK with just the oral. Little face swelling up from a sting is a scary thing! It happens quick, and if you are in the field, your pup is in real danger if they start to have trouble breathing.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:41 pm

Scott Linden had a great first aid kit list when he gave his program at Pheasant Fest. I'm gonna pm him and see if he can post it.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:06 pm

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:50 pm

By popular demand from forum members, here is the link to my Ultimate Upland Checklist (free download). There are plenty of suggestions in the first aid section for person and dog. Safe hunting.

http://scottlindenoutdoors.com/useful-s ... -download/
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

LookoutDog

Post by LookoutDog » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:47 pm

Good suggestion already.

I always carry a Leatherman or similar multi-tool in case you need wire cutters for dog wrapped up tight in barbed wire and pliers to remove porcupine quills.

Remadyl/novox
immodium
saline solution to flush eyes
ophthalmic ointment
cotton swabs
antibiotics

JordiLa

Post by JordiLa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:54 pm

Thanks everyone for giving me feed back......
If you turn the imagination loose like a hunting dog, it will often return with a bird in its mouth! (william maxwell)

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:00 am

Can't emphasize enough the need to carry a leatherman or equivalent. Often gets dropped out of "First Aid Kit" because it's not very First-Aid-y.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:55 am

Greg Jennings wrote:Can't emphasize enough the need to carry a leatherman or equivalent. Often gets dropped out of "First Aid Kit" because it's not very First-Aid-y.

Amen on that one I think my whole family has one on 24/7 Ok maybe not 24/7 but darn near . We have cactus growing like weeds every where so we keep ducttape handy
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!