Generic Frontline is Here!!!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Generic Frontline is Here!!!

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:38 pm

So at least three brands are out now. Wallyworld will have it own. Petsmart will have Fiproguard.

Looks to be about half price.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Generic Frontline is Here!!!

Post by shags » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:57 am

Around here the Walmart one is $28 for three large-size dog doses. I first noticed it on the shelves in May.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:56 am

Is it really the same?
Is it Frontline or Frontline Plus formula?
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:32 am

Ruffshooter wrote:Is it really the same?
Is it Frontline or Frontline Plus formula?
Yes chemically they are identical. Two are made by Sergeant/Sentry in the US.

They have both formulas, plain "frontline" with just Fipronil and "frontline plus" with the flea egg killer.

http://www.sentrypetcare.com/products/P ... 5&pr=17619
http://www.fiproguardplus.com/

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:47 am

PetArmor and PetArmor Plus (Walmart) are made in India.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:32 pm

Mine have been using and abusing the Sentry Fiproguard Plus for a few months now. Double thumbs up from me on both the quality of protection(same as compare to Frontline Plus I used in the past) and my wallet! FYI, here in Wisco it has been a bad tick season so far with the abnormal early heat but dogs staying clean. As for myself...maybe I should squirt a strip between my own withers every 30 days! My wife might be happier! -Mark

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:33 am

Well buy it while you can. A judge has stop everyone from making it except for Merial. Patent appeal or extension. The stores are allowed to sell what is there.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:42 am

Bwahahahahaha.......

I got hit with people wanting Frontline for the same price at work yesterday. A cease and desist order would explain that. All I can say is, Bayer has better coupons on Advantage II and Advantix II..... :mrgreen:
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:46 pm

Unbelievable that someone wouldn't look into the applicable patents before distribution.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:15 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I ran to the local "petco" here today and got me some of the Fiproguard. They had it listed for $47 for the three month pack, but "petsmart" is running it on sale right now for $28. They priced matched it so I picked up two boxes of it.................... Not sure when the sale ends, but I figure thats a good price :)

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:57 am

I have seen a handful of cases where the dog came down with diarrhea after using the new generic stuff. FWIW

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:12 am

dog dr wrote:I have seen a handful of cases where the dog came down with diarrhea after using the new generic stuff. FWIW
Thanks for that input. Do you happen to know which generic? Was the diarrhea self-limiting? I bought some of the walmart stuff in anticipation of fall trial season, and have been hoping for some reviews before I use it.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:14 pm

Please...and please again take no offense, dog dr...but as a vet, posting here, could you be a little more specific identifying flea/tick brands you have come in contact with that show negative reactions? Making blanket statements is confusing to us common folk. You're seen as somebody of educated/professional authority and it would be a huge help to us all if you where a little more exact with your comments. Thanks. -Mark

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:26 pm

I think he was about as exact as he can get on a public forum. Best not to name names if you want to stay clear of a lawsuit.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:07 am

ezzy333 wrote:I think he was about as exact as he can get on a public forum. Best not to name names if you want to stay clear of a lawsuit.

Ezzy
Very true and IMO, dog dr. has always been professional and proper when posting anything pertaining to dog health. Also, I think he probably has to be a little more careful than the rest of us.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:48 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I think he was about as exact as he can get on a public forum. Best not to name names if you want to stay clear of a lawsuit.

Ezzy

I completely Disagree with this. Since he is a professional in the field I think it is his duty to keep us informed with the most up to date information. If he knows something that is going to make my dog sick, should this be kept in the quiet? If the formula is wrong and making our pets sick why are we all not sending them hundreds of e-mails demanding that they fix the problem. Does this have to start killing our dogs or when do we draw the line and start to point the finger?????????

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:12 pm

Buy the original Merial product from a vet and you won't have to worry about it.

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:37 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Buy the original Merial product from a vet and you won't have to worry about it.
You never buy anything but name brand?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:04 pm

Swagg wrote:

Ezzy

I completely Disagree with this. Since he is a professional in the field I think it is his duty to keep us informed with the most up to date information. If he knows something that is going to make my dog sick, should this be kept in the quiet? If the formula is wrong and making our pets sick why are we all not sending them hundreds of e-mails demanding that they fix the problem. Does this have to start killing our dogs or when do we draw the line and start to point the finger?????????
A public forum is not the place! Also, you are exaggerating....There was nothing there saying that dogs were getting seriously sick and certainly not dying. He was just giving a little heads up on a potential problem. JMO.

Charlie

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Swagg wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Buy the original Merial product from a vet and you won't have to worry about it.
You never buy anything but name brand?
Not a fair answer, but I work for a clinic, so I only buy name brand. I don't care for fipronil, though.

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:45 pm

birddogger wrote: A public forum is not the place! Also, you are exaggerating....There was nothing there saying that dogs were getting seriously sick and certainly not dying. He was just giving a little heads up on a potential problem. JMO.

Charlie
So then if a public forum, designed to let us gather and share information and knowledge is not the place, where is? And first of all how did I exaggerate. I simply asked where is the line that we draw when it is ok to say what products are making our dogs sick? Clearly you are ok if something makes yours sick but I for one am not. And If i knew something was going to harm you or your pet I would be the first to post names and product information to protect you or your dog.

tn red

Post by tn red » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Ezzy
I've saw one certian bitch owned by a GDF member bashed on here,nobody cared !!Whats the differance here?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:59 pm

So then if a public forum, designed to let us gather and share information and knowledge is not the place, where is? And first of all how did I exaggerate. I simply asked where is the line that we draw when it is ok to say what products are making our dogs sick? Clearly you are ok if something makes yours sick but I for one am not. And If i knew something was going to harm you or your pet I would be the first to post names and product information to protect you or your dog.
I don't care if my dog's get sick? Where did that come from? These comments are a good way to keep the professionals from posting at all, and as I said before it is JMO.

Charlie

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:11 pm

Swagg wrote:

Ezzy

It is his duty to provide health care to your dog when you pay him for it. Beyond that it is just whatever he feels comfortable with. That said, if he gets more specific than he has it will be taken down since a public forum is not the place for specific information about the shortcomings of any product. AAnd since this forum could be held liable we don't allow that type of info that might close this forum and cost the owners very dearly.

Sorry, but that is the way it has to be.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:47 pm

That said, if he gets more specific than he has it will be taken down since a public forum is not the place for specific information about the shortcomings of any product. AAnd since this forum could be held liable we don't allow that type of info that might close this forum and cost the owners very dearly.
It is done all the time on this forum, look at any dog food thread, specific brands are evaluated. If a dog food has shortcomings it will get mentioned. I don't see how this topic is any different for the dog food threads. We review starting pistols,books,guns,launchers,collars etc., and short comings are always mentioned, don't understand why this medication would be any different from the other 100+ products. I do agree if someone chooses not to go into detail, I have no problem with that.

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:12 am

For what it is worth, the Wal Mart brand is supposed to have been pulled from the shelves because of patent infringement. It is gone from the shelves in the Wal Mart in our city.

settergal83

Post by settergal83 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:53 am

Not trying to step on any toes but...the "vet" really doesn't have to say anything considering we aren't paying him for anything. I mean it would be like calling your doctor and asking him to give you his advice about an ailment but never going to see him. I thought it was nice of him to even say anything in the first place. JMHO. And again not trying to make any enemies...just stating what I see.

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:07 am

settergal83 wrote:Not trying to step on any toes but...the "vet" really doesn't have to say anything considering we aren't paying him for anything. I mean it would be like calling your doctor and asking him to give you his advice about an ailment but never going to see him. I thought it was nice of him to even say anything in the first place. JMHO. And again not trying to make any enemies...just stating what I see.

No one here is trying to make any enemies, that is for sure :) And I always call my doc and get advice and information without going to to see him :P

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:07 am

nikegundog wrote:
That said, if he gets more specific than he has it will be taken down since a public forum is not the place for specific information about the shortcomings of any product. AAnd since this forum could be held liable we don't allow that type of info that might close this forum and cost the owners very dearly.
It is done all the time on this forum, look at any dog food thread, specific brands are evaluated. If a dog food has shortcomings it will get mentioned. I don't see how this topic is any different for the dog food threads. We review starting pistols,books,guns,launchers,collars etc., and short comings are always mentioned, don't understand why this medication would be any different from the other 100+ products. I do agree if someone chooses not to go into detail, I have no problem with that.

Amen

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:08 am

nikegundog wrote:
What you state is your opinion though many times we don't make thar clear. What was asked for here is a professional critique of a product. Not good business for hin or this forum. That is the type of info you get in private.

Ezzy

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:42 am

ezzy333 wrote: What you state is your opinion though many times we don't make thar clear. What was asked for here is a professional critique of a product. Not good business for hin or this forum. That is the type of info you get in private.

Ezzy

No one ever asked that. But either way is that still not his opinion about the product>??????????

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:41 am

What you state is your opinion though many times we don't make thar clear. What was asked for here is a professional critique of a product. Not good business hin or this forum. That is the type of info you get in private.
First off let we say that I appreciate everything Doc contributes to this forum and this is in know way aimed at him.
Ezzy I agree with you that it is not in the best interest of a vet in general to discuss a specific product. However a vets opinion of a product is nor more or less of a PERFESSIONAL critique as someone who worked with a dog food company and offering their critique on dog food. You saw a DR. in front of his name and paniced on this. Professional critiques from within side an industry happen all the time on this website.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:11 am

Would a professional dog groomer on here be allowed to state that they don't think Frontline is as effective on fleas as it used to be, or that they've seen certain topicals scalp the hair off a dog's back?
Can professional trainers on here recommend a particular brand of ecollar, or criticize a different brand?
IMO members here are peers with varying degrees of expertise in different areas. Those with more expertise aren't necessarily held to a different standard; their opinions and observations are just their opinions and observations.
What do companies do about entire websites devoted to slamming products? Apparently not much because those sites are around year after year.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:25 pm

nikegundog wrote:
You are right, the topic is no different than dog food threads. The only difference is dog dr. is being ethical and professional. Again, JMO.

Charlie

Sweetvalleylab

Post by Sweetvalleylab » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:16 am

We use Comfortis for our flea control method. It's a pill, no mess and won't wash off. Starts killing fleas and flea eggs in 30 minutes.
Proud owner of Bocephus I

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:07 am

Update on this. Apparantly the stay on producing the generic will only apply to the "Plus" variety. The straight Fipronil generics should be ok for others to manufacture and sell.

I never used Frontline Plus anyway.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:11 am

Swagg wrote:
birddogger wrote: A public forum is not the place! Also, you are exaggerating....There was nothing there saying that dogs were getting seriously sick and certainly not dying. He was just giving a little heads up on a potential problem. JMO.

Charlie

Its kinda like the disclaimers at the end of the "Meds" commercials side effects may be Headaches, sore throat..............the list goes on.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:40 pm

Swaggs,

Maybe the cure-all is to just use the products you have been using and not to constantly be looking for something different. I've had dogs of my own for 60 years now and am yet to have something make any of them sick.But I don't keep changing feeds and I don't use any other boughten products other than the shots or medications that are required by law and all of them have been used before and have worked for all of those years. I do not look for new or better products that haven't been tested and have a track record. I haven't ever fed a feed that needed supplements to keep the dogs healthy, happy, full of energy. I seldom have had to use flea or tick medication but if I do I use one that has been proven. I haven't had to worm since I started using Ivomec a few years ago and I do use a little stronger dose than some since I find it works pretty well for other worms and even for fleas and ticks to some extent. Other than that I can't think of any products that will have any effect on me or my dogs, so I don't worry about them. I do take the dogs to the vet every three years to get their rabies shots but make a real effort not to get them anywhere near the vets office as I can't think of a more likely place to come home with a disease of some type. The same is true of doggy parks or any place where a lot of dogs congregate.

I know I must have been lucky but I have never owned a dog that had food allergies, sensitive stomach, or a lack of coat condition or energy caused by what the dog was eating. So new feeds that are going to make my dogs better just don't interest me. I do look for something better when or if we have a problem but since we don't have many of those we continue to use what works and let everyone else look for the goose that lays the golden eggs.

We let our dogs tell us when they need something different and so far not any of them have spoken. So some may say they do a better job because they are always changing things because they think so much of their dogs. But I say I am providing everything that the dogs need to be healthy and happy and they show it and that is a whole lot better than constantly changing everything they are used to and do well on.

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:05 pm

ezzy333 wrote: We let our dogs tell us when they need something different and so far not any of them have spoken. So some may say they do a better job because they are always changing things because they think so much of their dogs. But I say I am providing everything that the dogs need to be healthy and happy and they show it and that is a whole lot better than constantly changing everything they are used to and do well on.
I completely agree with everything. I just hope one day I will get there. I have only had "my" first dog for 7 weeks now, and everything is still new. I'm am just trying to figure out what products I should be using and thankfully this board is really helpful. Its guys like yourself that have put in the trial and error time that allow me to skip all that by simply asking everyone :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:06 pm

Swagg wrote:
ezzy333 wrote: We let our dogs tell us when they need something different and so far not any of them have spoken. So some may say they do a better job because they are always changing things because they think so much of their dogs. But I say I am providing everything that the dogs need to be healthy and happy and they show it and that is a whole lot better than constantly changing everything they are used to and do well on.
I completely agree with everything. I just hope one day I will get there. I have only had "my" first dog for 7 weeks now, and everything is still new. I'm am just trying to figure out what products I should be using and thankfully this board is really helpful. Its guys like yourself that have put in the trial and error time that allow me to skip all that by simply asking everyone :)
Thanks for a nice reply. There are alot of people on here who are willing to help as you know.

Ezzy