Stomach issue

deke

Stomach issue

Post by deke » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:33 pm

My 9 month old black lab pup woke up yesterday and had went to the bathroom in his kennel. Later in the day he started throwing up regularly. I thought he ate something bad so i just let him throw it up and relax in the shade. Later in the day he threw up some blood so we took him to the emergency vet. This morning i picked him up and they said that his stomach was swollen 4 inch walls. I guess they are usually an eighth to a quarter inch wide. They had to cut him open and drain his stomach. So when i picked him up i took him to my regular vet, under their orders. Now he is getting a bunch of tests ran, and recovering from surgery. But both vets are puzzled, as am I. We switched his food from PPP chicken, to ppp beef two days ago. Has anyone ever heard of a reaction this bad from switching food? or maybe a Hereditary disease? Any help would be very much appreciated.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Stomach issue

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:00 pm

Was there any torsion?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:06 pm

Did you go from ProPlan Performance to ProPlan Beef Shredded Blend? The soy would be a major difference, but I've never heard of what you describe being caused by a food change. I would like to know what you find out. Hope recovery is rapid.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:20 pm

deke wrote:My 9 month old black lab pup woke up yesterday and had went to the bathroom in his kennel. Later in the day he started throwing up regularly. I thought he ate something bad so i just let him throw it up and relax in the shade. Later in the day he threw up some blood so we took him to the emergency vet. This morning i picked him up and they said that his stomach was swollen 4 inch walls. I guess they are usually an eighth to a quarter inch wide. They had to cut him open and drain his stomach. So when i picked him up i took him to my regular vet, under their orders. Now he is getting a bunch of tests ran, and recovering from surgery. But both vets are puzzled, as am I. We switched his food from PPP chicken, to ppp beef two days ago. Has anyone ever heard of a reaction this bad from switching food? or maybe a Hereditary disease? Any help would be very much appreciated.
The problem isn't food related though you cant rule out something the dog picked up and ate. nd I am quite sure you can rule out any kind of hereity issue. Wait and see what the test show if anything.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Have or are they biopsying the stomach lining for Cancer?
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

deke

Post by deke » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:08 pm

They are testing him for cancer, and any toxins. I just saw him about ten minutes ago and he is actually up and walking. Drugged up but still walking wagged his tail a little bit to. There was no torsion, just the walls of his stomach were swollen.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:26 pm

The other thing I saw was that Irritable Bowel syndrome can cause that also

Hope the find out what it was and that it is curable..Mojo and prayers headed your way
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:36 pm

Perhaps a blockage in the small intestine causing a spasmodic reaction of the pyloric valve? Just guessing.
big steve

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:53 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
deke wrote:My 9 month old black lab pup woke up yesterday and had went to the bathroom in his kennel. Later in the day he started throwing up regularly. I thought he ate something bad so i just let him throw it up and relax in the shade. Later in the day he threw up some blood so we took him to the emergency vet. This morning i picked him up and they said that his stomach was swollen 4 inch walls. I guess they are usually an eighth to a quarter inch wide. They had to cut him open and drain his stomach. So when i picked him up i took him to my regular vet, under their orders. Now he is getting a bunch of tests ran, and recovering from surgery. But both vets are puzzled, as am I. We switched his food from PPP chicken, to ppp beef two days ago. Has anyone ever heard of a reaction this bad from switching food? or maybe a Hereditary disease? Any help would be very much appreciated.
The problem isn't food related though you cant rule out something the dog picked up and ate. nd I am quite sure you can rule out any kind of hereity issue. Wait and see what the test show if anything.

Ezzy
Unless it is some sort of allergy to something in the new food...

It would be a long shot, and a severe reaction, but still...
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:40 am

It COULD be a food allergy, when i took my dog to the vet the first time cause he had such bad diarrhea the vet gave his stomach a real good squeeze and said it was REALLY swollen, he told me that with an allergy the dog has had to have been exposed to the allergen then the reaction in the mast cells in the gastrointestines/stomach can be severe which cause vomiting, diarrhea, bloody stools, hives, hot spots, hairloss, itching ect..i switched his food right away to no soy, wheat and corn and within a week he was 100 percent better and no issues since i kept him off grains ect...it doesnt hurt to go threw process of illimination and first i would go with a hamburger and rice mix rinsed off really good OR a vet prescribed diet for gastro issues just to relax the stomach and intestines then go from there with a more natural/holistic diet and see if you see improvements while getting some tests at the vet..hope you get some answers but i just wanted to let you know allergies do happen in dogs and are more common than people realize...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

deke

Post by deke » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:29 am

Update...... Deke is doing fine. He had a bacteria in his stomach that caused the inflamation. Vet had never even heard of it, or seen it. A couple of shots later and some canned food for a week and he is back to normal, besides the stitches.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:42 am

Excellent news! Thanks for the update.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:35 am

deke wrote:Update...... Deke is doing fine. He had a bacteria in his stomach that caused the inflamation. Vet had never even heard of it, or seen it. A couple of shots later and some canned food for a week and he is back to normal, besides the stitches.
Say what the bacteria was caused from?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:37 pm

deke wrote:Update...... Deke is doing fine. He had a bacteria in his stomach that caused the inflamation. Vet had never even heard of it, or seen it. A couple of shots later and some canned food for a week and he is back to normal, besides the stitches.
Thats about what it had to be from the symptoms but no one can diagnose on the internet and You just can't tell anyone exactly what it isor what to do. Glad you found out and got it solved.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

deke

Post by deke » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:59 pm

They dont really know how he got the bacteria. From what I understood it was a common thing for older dogs to get, and dogs eat random things. The vet does not know if the bacteria caused the problem or made the problem worse. Anyways, he is back out hunting, put him on some birds yesterday and besides running into a barbwire fence he did good.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:45 pm

Sounds similar to what I suggested. Infection can affect the pyloric valve to spasm and not function. It's great he's ok. :D
big steve