Ivermectin with PEG

luke0927

Ivermectin with PEG

Post by luke0927 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:07 pm

I had a thread I posted earlier but looks like it was deleted before I even got to take a look. Is anyone pre dosing their Ivermectin in PEG for an easier dose, just looking to see what ratio you are using, I need to sit down and do the math but wanted to check it hear once I do.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Ivermectin with PEG

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:09 pm

for the 1% Solution swine or cattle I use 1/10th CC per 10 lbs body weight
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:23 pm

The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:42 pm

some of that info is old they now treat dogs that are heartworm positive with ivermectin before treating the adults you can look that up on the heartworm association website
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm

Yes, I realize that but the dosing information is pertinent, thats why I posted it.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:39 pm

I have heard Ivomec is good as well.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:40 pm

Ahumphers91a wrote:I have heard Ivomec is good as well.
Ivomec is a brand name for ivermectin.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:42 pm

Ivomec 1% solution - 1/10 cc per 10 lbs. of dog weight

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:00 am

birddog1968 wrote:Yes, I realize that but the dosing information is pertinent, thats why I posted it.
Yes the 1% liquid should be diluted.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:06 am

mcbosco wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:Yes, I realize that but the dosing information is pertinent, thats why I posted it.
I personally don't dilute mine.....just give them 1/10 cc per 20lbs.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:28 am

I don't dilute mine either. It tastes bad and I have mercy on my dogs and put the dose in butter bread for them :wink: . 1/2 cc or less is easy to hide.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:29 am

so you just use a small MCG syrince and dose that way, I was getting mine from a retired vet who would mix it for me in PEG and it was a lot easier I would just pull 2 CC (ratio it was converted good for a dog up to 100lbs ) I'm finding less and less time go see him so I was just debating mixing it myself but guess its just as easy to give it to them straight in 1/10cc dosing

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:47 am

I use the apple favored Durvet paste for $4 a tube. A half click is fine for a dog like mine.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:53 am

i didnt think about the paste, my deddy has horses and uses the paste I remember him saying thats how he gives it to his dogs too, doesn't take much I think one tube does 1,200 lbs or so....

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:34 am

luke0927 wrote:i didnt think about the paste, my deddy has horses and uses the paste I remember him saying thats how he gives it to his dogs too, doesn't take much I think one tube does 1,200 lbs or so....
Yeah and the Durvet syringe is metered - each click - for 50lbs (horse dose), A half click has about 8,000 micrograms, so for a 90lb dog it is a safe dose. Now, Zymectrin meters the dose - each click - for 250lbs (horse dose), so I dont use that one. Zymectrin is made by the same company that makes Heartquard so its no wonder why they do that.

For $4 it is hard to beat and I went through the dose with my vet.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:47 am

I always worry about the even distribution of the ivermectin in the pastes and glycol mix. Unfounded for sure, just always wondered.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:53 am

birddog1968 wrote:I always worry about the even distribution of the ivermectin in the pastes and glycol mix. Unfounded for sure, just always wondered.
I wondered myself but I did speak to a large animal vet as well as the people at the farm and they use the smaller increments on the foals and smaller animals and have never noticed anything.

I called Durvet myself and they assured me that the Ivermectin was suspended in the gel and consisent throughout. The gel is quite thick so it would be hard for anything to settle. You can literally slice a piece off with a knife it is not liquidy by any means.

Good concern though but the product would be totally useless if the ivermectin wasn't uniform.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:00 am

with the PEG it is all soluble so it is mixed evenly.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:27 am

luke0927 wrote:with the PEG it is all soluble so it is mixed evenly.
So what is PEG........?

Propylene Glycol is commonly used to dilute Ivermectin.

Ethylene Glycol is toxic to animals.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:37 am

The distributed-equally-throughout-the-tube thing. The paste, tablets, powder or whatever you're giving is mixed in big vats - the drug or chemical and its carrier. Then it's dispensed into the tubes, vials, or plopped into the pills or tablets or whatever. So it doesn't matter which half of a tablet or pill you give, or which part of a tube of paste, or the beginning, middle, or end of a bottle (assuming what's in the bottle is all miscible and doesn't require shaking). It's like grabbing a piece of cake - all the egg or vanilla, or flour isn't in a couple of pieces (I hope! :lol: ).

The thing to think about is splitting capsules or some coated pills/tablets. Often the reason for the capsule or coating is to protect the drug from stomach juices so it can be released slowly, or released further on down the line.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:50 am

mcbosco wrote:
I know many many people who use it and none dilute it. Just no need to unless you need something to do.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:56 am

Iverhart Max, less than $10 a month and it does tapeworms. One dog, and livestock ivermectin will expire before you use it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:01 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Iverhart Max, less than $10 a month and it does tapeworms. One dog, and livestock ivermectin will expire before you use it.
Yep it will unless you use it on your birds or share with someone else. But the important thing is it is still only a fraction of the cost of prepared preventatives.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:09 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Iverhart Max, less than $10 a month and it does tapeworms. One dog, and livestock ivermectin will expire before you use it.
Yep it will unless you use it on your birds or share with someone else. But the important thing is it is still only a fraction of the cost of prepared preventatives.

Ezzy
And, you will have to have the animal tested and on a vet prescribed product to meet health certificate requirements. There goes your big savings, if you get in that situation.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:14 am

CC Says Who? The only requirements in my county are Rabies.Nothing like that on a health Cert.to ship either.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:19 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
And, you will have to have the animal tested and on a vet prescribed product to meet health certificate requirements. There goes your big savings, if you get in that situation.
Where do you get this stuff? There is no requirements concerning heartworm that I have ever heard of and sure not on a health certificate. Just because someone spends 100 a year instead of 10 doesn't guarantee anything.

Ezzy

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:21 am

Ezzy, try shipping a dog to England or Hawaii, then get back to me, okie dokie?

Ted, Delta Society, TDI, many corporate vet clinic boarding facilities and even some trainong clubs require proof of vet prescribed HW preventative.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:26 am

Well I've never seen or heard of it & doubt I will be dealing with it. :)
Last edited by Vonzeppelinkennels on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:32 am

How does one prove that a dog is receiving vet rx'ed meds :?: They can be prescribed and even purchased but not administered. Just askin'.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:33 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Ezzy, try shipping a dog to England or Hawaii, then get back to me, okie dokie?

Ted, Delta Society, TDI, many corporate vet clinic boarding facilities and even some trainong clubs require proof of vet prescribed HW preventative.
That may be the case but I would bet they just require a negative test done by a Vet rather than mandate a particular preventative.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:49 am

mcbosco wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Ezzy, try shipping a dog to England or Hawaii, then get back to me, okie dokie?

That may be the case but I would bet they just require a negative test done by a Vet rather than mandate a particular preventative.
You're on! How much?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:52 am

"A negative Heartworm test must have been done within the past year if the dog is not on a continuous heartworm preventative medication. A negative Heartworm test must have been done within the past two years if the dog is on a continuous heartworm preventative medication."

From TDI.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:03 pm

mcbosco wrote:"A negative Heartworm test must have been done within the past year if the dog is not on a continuous heartworm preventative medication. A negative Heartworm test must have been done within the past two years if the dog is on a continuous heartworm preventative medication."

From TDI.
That's from the National. Out of date. Locals are following the new AHA guidelines.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:07 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
mcbosco wrote:"A negative Heartworm test must have been done within the past year if the dog is not on a continuous heartworm preventative medication. A negative Heartworm test must have been done within the past two years if the dog is on a continuous heartworm preventative medication."

From TDI.
That's from the National. Out of date. Locals are following the new AHA guidelines.

But what is required?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:08 pm

From TDI.
Now this makes some sense. Having a prescribed heartworm prevetative means absolutely nothing as there is no way they can tell if you used it or what dog you used it on. Governments do some stupid things with regs but I can't believe they would require a piece of paper rather than prove the dog is heartworm free.

Guess Casey, what you were saying is no one should use a cheaper product because some place in the world might require you to have a prescription. Right or wrong, it is just another example of useless info that doesn't have a thing to do with the topic of this thread.

Ezzy

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:39 pm

ezzy333 wrote:

From TDI.
Now this makes some sense. Having a prescribed heartworm prevetative means absolutely nothing as there is no way they can tell if you used it or what dog you used it on. Governments do some stupid things with regs but I can't believe they would require a piece of paper rather than prove the dog is heartworm free.

Guess Casey, what you were saying is no one should use a cheaper product because some place in the world might require you to have a prescription. Right or wrong, it is just another example of useless info that doesn't have a thing to do with the topic of this thread.

Ezzy
Actually, we see clients every week who have been self-medicating and don't understand why they have to get their dog tested when they want DVM certification. The local Camp BowWow franchise requires that a vet certify a monthly parasiticide is in use. The dog world is a lot bigger than that little screen, you know. I used to think the requirements on dogs were a bit much, but then, the horse entered the picture. Wowzer.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:40 pm

mcbosco wrote:Yes the 1% liquid should be diluted.
I have never dilutued mine and sometimes I give a whole cc to a 55lb or 60lb dog. It has never seemed to hurt them.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:51 pm

Ron R wrote:
I have never dilutued mine and sometimes I give a whole cc to a 55lb or 60lb dog. It has never seemed to hurt them.

A whole CC would be 10,000 mcg's or about 75 times Heartguards dose.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:05 pm

mcbosco wrote:
Ron R wrote:

A whole CC would be 10,000 mcg's or about 75 times Heartguards dose.
It's not as bad as it sounds, most times I give a little over half cc.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:17 pm

[A whole CC would be 10,000 mcg's or about 75 times Heartguards dose.[/quote]
It's not as bad as it sounds, most times I give a little over half cc.[/quote]

I know Ivermectin has a very wide margin of safety, just pointing it out.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:51 pm

I have given undiluted 1/10th cc per 20 lbs for 30 years..This is what my vet told me and works great....
brenda

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:16 pm

snips wrote:I have given undiluted 1/10th cc per 20 lbs for 30 years..This is what my vet told me and works great....

What about the dogs you sent to S.Africa? Didn't you have 1 or 2 that went over there.

Ezzy

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:30 pm

We have sent dogs to Canada, Mexico,Serbia,Croatia,Bulgaria,Holland and Germany, all with a simple health certificate.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:51 pm

Africa is a different deal..Forgot now what we did, Trudi can say. But a heartworm test has to be done within a certain time frame of shipping....And 6 mo of heartworm meds sent with them I think...As Africa does not have HW's...
brenda

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Well I for one only need Ivomec or any other brand like it for my own Dog, where I have not to worry about shipping. I don't like being taken by vet's making you pay for prescriptions for things like heart worm. Just my thought.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:26 pm

Ahumphers91a wrote:Well I for one only need Ivomec or any other brand like it for my own Dog, where I have not to worry about shipping. I don't like being taken by vet's making you pay for prescriptions for things like heart worm. Just my thought.
"Getting taken by vets" sure seems a little strong to me... Many people don't like using things outside their indicated, designed uses. For others it is a way of life. Neither way is the only way.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:30 pm

Thats the way I see it. They charge an arm and a leg it seems to me. I have come across a couple vets in my area that are actually really good, and don't charge "overkill"

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Ahumphers91a wrote:Thats the way I see it. They charge an arm and a leg it seems to me. I have come across a couple vets in my area that are actually really good, and don't charge "overkill"
Many do, took us a while to find one we liked and were comfortable with. I still do shots on Pointers and Ivermec for them, the wife's dogs go to the vet for it.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:31 am

displaced_texan wrote:"Getting taken by vets" sure seems a little strong to me...
Not me...You must be lucky and have some good vets in your area. I took my dog to the vet once for an ear infection and when I was leaving and checking out at the front desk they hit me with a $260.00 bill.....highway robbery. The other time I had my wife take another dog to the vet and they said the dog had a gum infection and cleaned his teeth......$360.00. The worst part was with this particular dog turned out to not be worth 2cents and before I was going to put him down some crazy lady from work took him for free. Another time, I used my buddy's vet for another infection $290.00. Thanks for the hook up pal. Those were my only vet visits in the last 6 years. I take it back, I didn't include health checks for shipping...but still.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:48 pm

Ron R wrote:
displaced_texan wrote:"Getting taken by vets" sure seems a little strong to me...
Not me...You must be lucky and have some good vets in your area. I took my dog to the vet once for an ear infection and when I was leaving and checking out at the front desk they hit me with a $260.00 bill.....highway robbery. The other time I had my wife take another dog to the vet and they said the dog had a gum infection and cleaned his teeth......$360.00. The worst part was with this particular dog turned out to not be worth 2cents and before I was going to put him down some crazy lady from work took him for free. Another time, I used my buddy's vet for another infection $290.00. Thanks for the hook up pal. Those were my only vet visits in the last 6 years. I take it back, I didn't include health checks for shipping...but still.
We do have some good ones.

I've got nothing against anyone making a good living. But there is a point where things are ridiculous.