24 - 18 Feed

Ahumphers91a

24 - 18 Feed

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:51 pm

So I was at my local IFA, and I came across a feed that I am interested in for my dog's. It's Enhance Hunter's Edge Basic's, its a 24-18 and it was 32 bucks for a 42lb bag. http://www.enhance3022.com/products#in-season

Thoughts??

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: 24 - 18 Feed

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:39 pm

My thoughts:

What caught your eye?

What about the feed you are feeding now isn't working?

Are you dogs suffering in any way?

What do you expext tp gain by switching feed?

Are you having trouble finding a dependable supply?

Is this feed cheaper than what you are feeding?

Why would you chance going to a feed your dogs don't like if they are healthy and happy now?

If I knew the answers to these questions I might have other thoughts.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:45 pm

Well I was originally feeding crappy O'l Roy. Switched to Purina Dog Chow, I just want them to be eating decent feed. Plus I am going to start some mild running up the Oquirr Mountains here soon.

settergal83

Post by settergal83 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:49 pm

I agree with Ezzy. I mean I wouldn't chance changing a feed, especially if you are in a hot area (hard enough to keep stuff on feed when it's hot and humid), if there isn't anything that you particularly dislike. I haven't changed feed w/ my dogs in...well ever. If I am running my dogs hard I may add some chicken broth and chicken to the feed. I notice this really is a tasty treat for them and in the winter, warming the broth is nice for them. Other than that just for the dogs own pleasure point, I wouldn't change my feed.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:50 pm

Ahumphers91a wrote:Well I was originally feeding crappy O'l Roy. Switched to Purina Dog Chow, I just want them to be eating decent feed. Plus I am going to start some mild running up the Oquirr Mountains here soon.
Sounds like it may be a good feed for your dogs and probably better than what you are feeding but isn't it funny how well they do on Ol" Roy. If we didn't know how crappy it is the dogs would probably do fine on it for years to come.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:04 pm

True. I have fed O'l Roy for 6 years! Obviously add hot water in the cold winter with a little scraps here and there. Oh and post above your Ezzy, It's very dry here in Utah not humid at all. But I get the Jist, not good to keep switching.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:34 pm

Ahumphers91a wrote:So I was at my local IFA, and I came across a feed that I am interested in for my dog's. It's Enhance Hunter's Edge Basic's, its a 24-18 and it was 32 bucks for a 42lb bag. http://www.enhance3022.com/products#in-season

Thoughts??

Thoughts?
Great great feed, and if it's local and the dogs do good on it, then thats great.............IMO alot better than Ol Roy, but there again just my opinion>>>>>

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:26 pm

lvrgsp wrote:
Ahumphers91a wrote:So I was at my local IFA, and I came across a feed that I am interested in for my dog's. It's Enhance Hunter's Edge Basic's, its a 24-18 and it was 32 bucks for a 42lb bag. http://www.enhance3022.com/products#in-season

Thoughts??

Thoughts?
Great great feed, and if it's local and the dogs do good on it, then thats great.............IMO alot better than Ol Roy, but there again just my opinion>>>>>
Thanks for the input.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:11 am

I used to feed O'l Roy never had a bad thing to say about it, most dogs do well on it again its all about or choices and not the dogs.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:21 am

Thoughts??
SportMix Black Bag is probably a better value than that.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:14 am

mcbosco wrote:

Thoughts??
I think the black bag is like 28 something for 50lbs and its higher in fat and Protein if I'm not mistaken

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:52 am

it was 34.99 I believe at Cal ranch for a 55lb bag?? I have to go back and look at my older post. Yes it probably was a better value, kinda weighing my options most I can.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:00 am

mcbosco wrote:

Thoughts??
Don't recall any mention of what is the best food I can buy. And until you have done the testing and have some actual results you or anyone else is not really in the position to tell anyone which is the best food. What really makes it impossible is none of us has even fed all of the diffent feeds and the prices are completely different in different parts of the country. I do know a lot of kennels fed the Enhance feed and a few have fed one of the Sportsmix and have liked the results. But which is better or even cheaper to feed is beyond what I know about them.

Ezzy

fordman

Post by fordman » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:26 am

I know alot of people who Quit using enhance when they changed the formula and jacked up the price.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:39 pm

Thoughts??

I would prefer their Premium over the Basic. I can feed Loyall Professional for what their Basic is, and mine is argueably better.

It's true that most dogs do well with most good feeds. Stools, coat, and performance of the dogs are key things to compare plus price.
big steve

Drifter Saver

Post by Drifter Saver » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:55 am

fordman wrote:I know alot of people who Quit using enhance when they changed the formula and jacked up the price.
I fall into that category. I loved the value that I was getting. O well. When things are too good to be true, they usually are.

I am now evaluating a couple of feeds on different dogs (Sportmix Energy Plus (black bag), The Pride 30/20 and Buckeye Super Bits). To be honest, they all seem ok so far, but the bigger test will be when I take one across the whole lineup. I am not hung up on a 30% fat level, but I try to keep my dogs at a 20% protein level.
If its not a bird dog, it's just a dog!

shets114

Post by shets114 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:56 am

fordman wrote:I know alot of people who Quit using enhance when they changed the formula and jacked up the price.
Let me know one food in the past two years that hasn't Jacked up their prices? It's part of business and businesses aren't non profit.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:59 am

shets114 wrote:
Let me know one food in the past two years that hasn't Jacked up their prices? It's part of business and businesses aren't non profit.
Right on!!!!

Ezzy

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:38 pm

shets114 wrote:
i think he meant the two together, not just the price increase.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:39 pm

Oh yeah, I totally spaced it but on the link I provided for the dog food, I believe on the main page you can print a 5 dollar coupon.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:10 pm

brad27 wrote:
shets114 wrote:
i think he meant the two together, not just the price increase.

Shortly after the changes numerous companies increased prices. Enhance was just the first and had to do it to make a profit on the ingredient list provided.

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:58 am

Its a great food I fed it for years but now feed store stopped carrying it so I had to change.

fordman

Post by fordman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:36 am

shets114 wrote:
There prices instantley went up and the food did not seem that much better, and you are there salesman. There website still only shows 2 stores in MI.

Drifter Saver

Post by Drifter Saver » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:28 am

I used to get the Hunters Edge for $24.50/50# bag. Then prior to my next order (shortly after they were purchased) I was notified that I would now have to pay about $37/42# bag of the new Hunters Edge Premium (equivalent to the old Hunters Edge). It went from $0.49/# up to $0.88/#...they must have have really been losing money before to have to have recover a price increase like that :wink:

Obviously we have seen increases across the board from milk to dog food, but my cost locally is now basically the same per pound whether it is Enhance or Pro Plan. I am just guessing, but I don't think that Enhance has to cover the same level of overhead (including marketing and such) that Purina does (or even Native).

Either way, to each their own. Feed what your dog (and you) like and pay what you are willing to spend.
If its not a bird dog, it's just a dog!

shets114

Post by shets114 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:50 pm

Drifter Saver wrote:I used to get the Hunters Edge for $24.50/50# bag. Then prior to my next order (shortly after they were purchased) I was notified that I would now have to pay about $37/42# bag of the new Hunters Edge Premium (equivalent to the old Hunters Edge). It went from $0.49/# up to $0.88/#...they must have have really been losing money before to have to have recover a price increase like that :wink:

Obviously we have seen increases across the board from milk to dog food, but my cost locally is now basically the same per pound whether it is Enhance or Pro Plan. I am just guessing, but I don't think that Enhance has to cover the same level of overhead (including marketing and such) that Purina does (or even Native).

Either way, to each their own. Feed what your dog (and you) like and pay what you are willing to spend.
The new Hunters Premium is a 40# bag and isn't like the old formula. The corn was removed and now has higher Omegas. The Hunters Basic has a profile more near the old Hunters in digestibility and carbs. It is a different meat source however offers nearly the same digestibility as the old Hunters Edge. There is about a 4% difference in digestibility between the Hunters Premium and Hunters Basic. It would only depend on your dogs tolerance to wheat though. If it doesn't have an allergy to wheat then it would be fine and it runs in the upper $20.00 range.

Now compare the ingredient list on Pro Athlete and that of Pro Plan Performance and let me know if you think it would cost less to produce PPP.
Last edited by shets114 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:55 pm

fordman wrote:
shets114 wrote:
There prices instantley went up and the food did not seem that much better, and you are there salesman. There website still only shows 2 stores in MI.

If you are looking for a store you can contact abby.siebern@ainsworthpets.com she is dedicated to the state of MI and will be getting things back on track. feel free to shoot her an email to request a location. I know right now we have at least 30 + stores back on board last I saw.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:36 pm

shets114 wrote:
Drifter Saver wrote:I used to get the Hunters Edge for $24.50/50# bag. Then prior to my next order (shortly after they were purchased) I was notified that I would now have to pay about $37/42# bag of the new Hunters Edge Premium (equivalent to the old Hunters Edge). It went from $0.49/# up to $0.88/#...they must have have really been losing money before to have to have recover a price increase like that :wink:

The new Hunters Premium is a 40# bag and isn't like the old formula. The corn was removed and now has higher Omegas. The Hunters Basic has a profile more near the old Hunters in digestibility and carbs. It is a different meat source however offers nearly the same digestibility as the old Hunters Edge. There is about a 4% difference in digestibility between the Hunters Premium and Hunters Basic. It would only depend on your dogs tolerance to wheat though. If it doesn't have an allergy to wheat then it would be fine and it runs in the upper $20.00 range.

Now compare the ingredient list on Pro Athlete and that of Pro Plan Performance and let me know if you think it would cost less to produce PPP.
I don't see all the fuss about the cost for Enhance Pro Athlete, as it seems to be in line with other foods with similar ingredients. PPP is $48 a bag locally for 37.5lbs, far more than superior foods like Annamaet Ultra & Dr. Tim's Pursuit. Native Level 3 goes for $39.99 for 40lbs.

Pricing might be different in other markets but there is little reason to buy PPP in NJ. Blue Seal makes a 30/20 with more meat protein than PPP for $35 for a 40lb bag. Blue Seal is part of Native/Kent.

Granted dogs react individually but ingredients do matter, and PPP has to be the cheapest food from an ingredient standpoint in the whole store.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:06 pm

mcbosco wrote:
shets114 wrote:

I don't see all the fuss about the cost for Enhance Pro Athlete, as it seems to be in line with other foods with similar ingredients. PPP is $48 a bag locally for 37.5lbs, far more than superior foods like Annamaet Ultra & Dr. Tim's Pursuit. Native Level 3 goes for $39.99 for 40lbs.

Pricing might be different in other markets but there is little reason to buy PPP in NJ. Blue Seal makes a 30/20 with more meat protein than PPP for $35 for a 40lb bag. Blue Seal is part of Native/Kent.

Granted dogs react individually but ingredients do matter, and PPP has to be the cheapest food from an ingredient standpoint in the whole store.
It's 31.99 for a 42lb bag here at my local IFA, it's a little pricey, but i'm still looking around for something i'm content with, then comes the challenge to see if the dog's like it.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:38 pm

Ahumphers. You can also email Tom.butler@ainsworthpets.com if you need any assistance. He covers all of IFA's territory.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:41 am

shets114 wrote:Ahumphers. You can also email Tom.butler@ainsworthpets.com if you need any assistance. He covers all of IFA's territory.
thanks. Can Tom adjust the price...LOL...JK

shets114

Post by shets114 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:08 am

He can be creative if he has to.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:59 pm

shets114 wrote:He can be creative if he has to.
pm sent