kennel cough?

PA_Sportsman

kennel cough?

Post by PA_Sportsman » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:48 am

My pup has been having coughing / choking spasms as of late. It seems to be going for the past week or so. By doing some research on the internet, it seems like she may have kennel cough. She has been around a lot of different dogs at various training days this summer and it only seems to happen mainly at night. Both are linked to this disease.

Has anyone else's dog had this before? If so how long did it take him / her to get over it. I think it is also called Traceobronchitis.

Thanks

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:41 am

Better get the dog in for a check up. If it's Bordatella, it's a very persistent and hard to get over virus. Could be a slew of other things as well. When in doubt get to the vet. If the dog has not yet been vaccinated for KK then get it done!

For all of you that spend a lot of time getting dogs out to events or even publilc parks where they're going to get in contact with other dogs in large numbers keep all your vaccinations up to date especially Parvo and Bordatella! CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

PA_Sportsman

re:

Post by PA_Sportsman » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:33 pm

Thanks for the reply! I'm all most positive that she's had all of her vaccinations including kennel cough. I did read that the vaccicantion isn't always 100% effective. Either way, she's going in to see the vet this week.

Thanks again!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:24 pm

I don`t even vaccinate for it anymore. My vet says there are so many strains out that vaccines don`t cover. It can last up to 6 weeks and sometimes it helps to put them on antibiotics, but it mainly needs to run it`s course. Don`t take him around other dogs while he`s got it tho.
brenda

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:45 pm

it IS very contagious (and sounds AWFUL!!). when my dog got this after a surgery, my vet said that he probably picked it up at the office when his immune system was down after the surgery. he said that although it starts out as a virus, the virus can lead to bacterial infections too (like a common cold leading to a sinus infection). he also said that it sounded alot worse than it really was. he then told me that, if we put him on antibiotics, he will probably be over this in about 10 days... and if we don't, he will probably be over this in about 10 days. needless to say, we didn't and he was over it in about 10 days. BUT.... i DID have him vaccinated for it this summer, and this is why. even though there are lots of strains out there, just like the flu in humans, getting the vaccine can help you build immunities so that even if you DO get the virus, you are able to fight it off more efficiently because of your antibodies from the vaccine. but i also know of many people who do not vaccinate for it, and their dogs never get it either. (just like some humans never get the flu) GOOD LUCK!!
sudie