Are all puppy shots created equal?

dodgerfan175

Are all puppy shots created equal?

Post by dodgerfan175 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:03 pm

My brother-in law just got an 8 week old Lab pup. He wants to give him his puppy shots himself but he's not sure if any one manufacturer is better than the others. When it comes to puppy shots are all 7 in 1 shots the same or is there a certain manufacturer he should avoid. I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks.
"I Always Tell The Truth Even When I Lie"

"Most people respect the badge, everybody respects the gun."

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Are all puppy shots created equal?

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:14 pm

Actually some of the newer research suggests alternating between at least two companies shots.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:22 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Actually some of the newer research suggests alternating between at least two companies shots.
Sounds smart. Fort Dodge seems to be dominant where I live. OP, wherever you buy them make sure they have been stored correctly. They have to be kept at about 40 degrees and out of the light. He should also review the latest protocol for vaccines. People generally are not as aggressive as they used to be, but it depends what risks are present where he lives.

If he lives in LA, (dodger fan??) doubtful lepto, lyme, corona are needed.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:17 pm

I don't give 7 in 1 shots to pups - some folks do,but I think they're not necessary. The 5-way is what I prefer. Have your bro do the research and figure out what he wants to do. Keep in mind that cities and municipalities don't accept your "word" for the fact you gave your own shots, so if shots are required by law where you live then you'll likely need to go to a vet for shots for your record keeping purposes.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:43 pm

RoostersMom wrote:I don't give 7 in 1 shots to pups - some folks do,but I think they're not necessary. The 5-way is what I prefer. Have your bro do the research and figure out what he wants to do. Keep in mind that cities and municipalities don't accept your "word" for the fact you gave your own shots, so if shots are required by law where you live then you'll likely need to go to a vet for shots for your record keeping purposes.
+1

I use Nobivac 5 way for the first 2 rounds of shots to my pups. It has one of the highest, if not THE highest titers out of most vaccines on the market. I give 7 ways around 15-16 weeks and give them Solo Jec 7 Plus. :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"