GSP laying down to drink.

JessiNGunther

GSP laying down to drink.

Post by JessiNGunther » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:35 am

Gunther will lay down to drink I have never seen a dog do this before. My question is should I be elevating his water dish ? When we had our Great danes and Irish wolfhound we had to elevate both food and water to keep them from having stomach issues.
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP laying down to drink.

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:54 am

I would just leave him be. Lying down is fine. Dogs have different styles.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:08 am

Thats funny, my boxer will be laying on his side and if i throw him a treat if its close enough he will only move his head and eat it without getting up :D ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:26 am

GSPs are notoriously afraid of water,that's why he's acting that way. Try either putting on one of those neoprene life-jackets they all seem to have, or try duck taping a piece of pvc pipe about 10" long to that stub where a tail should be, these things might give your dog the confidence it needs to stand while drinking. :D

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:33 am

I have had a number of dogs of different breeds that would lay down to eat and drink. It isn't anything to worry about in my opinion.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:38 am

nikegundog wrote:GSPs are notoriously afraid of water,that's why he's acting that way. Try either putting on one of those neoprene life-jackets they all seem to have, or try duck taping a piece of pvc pipe about 10" long to that stub where a tail should be, these things might give your dog the confidence it needs to stand while drinking. :D

Boy I must of lucked out because Gunther loves the water he even gets in the cow tank we have here.
As long has it does not hurt him i'll let him lay there .

He'll even push his water dish around if the water is not coming out of it fast enough.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:06 pm

He probably thinks the bubbles and sound are interesting.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:52 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:He probably thinks the bubbles and sound are interesting.
This has a filter on the bottom of it so the water comes out VERY slow so he will try and get his tongue as far back as he can trying to get water. The first one he had as a puppy bubbled and made noise he would stare at it until it stopped making noise then drink then Outside in the back yard we have a livestock style auto water bowl and when you go to fill it up he stands back and points at it until it stops making noise. He's a goofy dog but I would not tread him for the world.
Oh BTW and i love the new aviator photo.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:58 pm

JessiNGunther wrote:
This has a filter on the bottom of it so the water comes out VERY slow so he will try and get his tongue as far back as he can trying to get water. The first one he had as a puppy bubbled and made noise he would stare at it until it stopped making noise then drink then Outside in the back yard we have a livestock style auto water bowl and when you go to fill it up he stands back and points at it until it stops making noise. He's a goofy dog but I would not tread him for the world.
GSPs seem to have an OCD streak. The aunt of the girls in my avatar (Thanks!) spend two months walking in around a giagantic mudpuddle pointing the bubbles she created. Thankfully, the thing finally evaporated. She still lies hopefully by it.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Red

Post by Red » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:13 pm

My DK has done that after a run, pretty funny.. I wouldn't worry to much...
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:34 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
JessiNGunther wrote:
GSPs seem to have an OCD streak. The aunt of the girls in my avatar (Thanks!) spend two months walking in around a giagantic mudpuddle pointing the bubbles she created. Thankfully, the thing finally evaporated. She still lies hopefully by it.
I have heard they have an OCD streak. Thats funny she did that but sad she is waiting on her mud puddle to come back. Holy crap i should of spell check my post. LOL
My DK has done that after a run, pretty funny.. I wouldn't worry to much...
Thats when Gunther does it too but I have seen him do it right after a nap too.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:18 pm

looks like there is nice cool floor under the dog. I use to have a dog that did that cause the linoleum floor.

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Mine do that when they are hot and tired

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:07 am

Ahumphers91a wrote:looks like there is nice cool floor under the dog. I use to have a dog that did that cause the linoleum floor.
We have 3500 square feet of tile(that I have to sweep and mop :( ) in the winter it is COLD :( and in the summer it's cold :) but in the summer it feels good LOL

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:25 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
JessiNGunther wrote:
jersey has OCD when it comes to frogs..if she comes across one in the yard she will sit and paw at it lightly and move it around with her nose all day long until the poor thing dies, then she will carry it around from place to place trying to get it to jump :? just my luck that weve had more frogs lately then in 100 years so shes obsessed with looking for them and because theres thousands of them shes a wreck trying to decide which ones to torment :lol: ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:41 am

jersey has OCD when it comes to frogs..if she comes across one in the yard she will sit and paw at it lightly and move it around with her nose all day long until the poor thing dies, then she will carry it around from place to place trying to get it to jump just my luck that weve had more frogs lately then in 100 years so shes obsessed with looking for them and because theres thousands of them shes a wreck trying to decide which ones to torment ....ruth
We have lizards EVERYWHERE so my poor lab who is as old as dirt goes nuts over which one to chase . I swear it'll kill him someday his poor heart want be able to deal with all the excitement :|