Help! Paw's ripped?!

djswizz

Help! Paw's ripped?!

Post by djswizz » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:04 pm

Took Guinness to the dog park and he seemed fine but afterwards, my wife noticed that his front paws are srapped off. It's only on the outer toes on each leg. But it looks as if a human were to scrap the bottom calice on the heel right off, exposing the tender skin underneath. Anyone know of any treatment options? I'm just going to put triple antibiotic ointment and gauze and then put socks on him to prevent it from coming off for now... Nothing serious here right? I heard a dog's paws heal quickly...

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:44 pm

Just happens sometimes. There are products like Tuff-Kote and others that help, or just pine tar if he is not a house dog. I would't try to cover paw. Can happen with a lot of work on concrete or hard surface. I have had it happen for no apparant reason.

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:43 pm

Not to worry it happened to me about 6 times this last hunting season. It is tyipicly called "sliped pads". Was he running on pavement allot? A real ruff surface is likely the cause. I just kept the dog on grass most of the time for about a few days till the dog quit limping so much. Any kind of pad conditioner could help.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:55 pm

get some tuff pad or some type of pad spray to help toughen them up no need to bandiad or anything like that pads tend to heal pretty quick
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.