Small size

mcclinj

Small size

Post by mcclinj » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:23 pm

My gsp female pup will be 8 months old next weekend, and is much smaller than all the other gsp puppies we've been around at training sessions and such. She weighed in yesterday at 34.2lbs and is around 19.5 inches tall. Apparently the breed standard for females is 21-23" tall. Both her parents are 50-55 pound dogs. She's being fed a 32/25 feed, so I'm not sure why the small size,

She doesn't know she's small, she's full of spunk, and will hold her own with all kinds of larger dogs at the dog park. How abnormal is this for an 8 month old GSP. I hear from some others, that their dogs were getting to be around full size by this point?

-John

gsp3333

Re: Small size

Post by gsp3333 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:30 pm

My girl is also a little on the small side. A buddy of mine got his female as a started dog at about the same age 13 mos. and said his dog was about the same size as mine. My buddy's dog has filled out to be a great looking dog. Don't worry she will get there.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:34 pm

Will probably grow like crazy around second heat cycle. I thought mine would be on the small side too but now 47 pounds

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:20 pm

just give her some heel's come breeding time 8)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:48 pm

My avatar is a runt. Born dead ,had to be revived. Had to regularly put her on the nipple as the others would force her out. She was "Walking Derby Dog of the Year in Ontario" - a firecracker in the field. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:07 pm

A rule of thumb is that a dog is about half it's adult weight at 16 weeks.

Like Sharon said, it ain't the size of the dog in the fight. It's all about the fight that is in the dog.

I have a pointer gyp that ain't 40 pounds soaking wet. She will absolutely blow the doors off dogs that are 20 pounds heavier and several inches taller and longer. She WILL get there first. You can take that to the bank.

Last spring I saw an all black GSP that was a real screamer. This dog could HAUL and it found birds and stuck 'em real nice. I doubt if the dog was 35#, but it was one heck of a dog. Got me to watching it...that's for certain.

Remember, dynamite comes in a small package too.

RayG

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm

I have always been partial to buying runt females. Seem's they just fit me better, but not the one I just bought from Ken, she's a porker LOL

Green

Post by Green » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:35 pm

Mine seems to be on the small size too (weight). I've been told that he looks tall, but I think that's because he's lean. I'd rather have him on the small side when he's full grown anyway.

TM964x4

Post by TM964x4 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:56 pm

My male pointer is about 20in tall and all of 40lbs in the off season. He's real lean but rock solid. My female is a few inches taller and and about 4 pounds heavier. I have yet to see a dog that can keep up with him in the field. He's a rocket. At first I was concerned with his size compared to other male pointers I've seen but now I prefer it. Don't let the size worry you.

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:21 pm

I've personally come to the theory that small means fast, explosive, and more endurance. But maybe thats cause both my dogs are smaller than most and i'm looking for the positive, my male is right at 40 pounds and he's the fastest and has the most endurance of any pointer i've hunted with, he's turning into a real good "bird dog" and got the most heart and drive of any hunting dog i've owned. (had some coonhounds and ridgebacks in the past)