SPAZ at feeding time.

Green

SPAZ at feeding time.

Post by Green » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:43 pm

My ESS is now 16 weeks old and growing nicely. He's been eating 3/4 C of Diamond Naturals Large Breed L&R, twice a day, and I recently bumped it up to 1 C x 2. When I go out to his kennel and he sees me with food, he completely freaks out. He jumps on the kennel wire, he will not listen to a single command, he pee's all over the place (not a steady stream, just dribbles), and when I open the kennel door he jumps all over me. I cannot calm him at all. I've tried waiting to open the kennel door until he calms down, I've tried making him sit, I've tried holding him, and I cannot make any progress at all. The only thing that exists to him at that point is the food. Once he gets the food, he gulps it down without chewing. While he's a pup, it's not really that big of deal that he jumps on me when I bring his food, but I definitely don't want him doing it as an adult and I feel like I should be breaking this habit asap. He acts like he's starving, but if I give him more, his stools get runny.

Any other time I go out to his kennel, he's much calmer. He'll sit on command and doesn't jump on me...he's only a spaz when he sees food.

Will he outgrow this? Is it something I can correct? Or will I have to alter his feedings (though I really don't think three smaller meals will improve anything)?

JessiNGunther

Re: SPAZ at feeding time.

Post by JessiNGunther » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:52 pm

If you're giving 2 cups a day could you split it up 1/2 cup 4 times a day ? That way he is not overly hungry ?
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:59 pm

Yikes!

Put him on leash, make him settle and sit/stand/down (whatever you prefer) and wait for his food. By 4 months he can learn to stay until released.

No reason to up the food- that's why he has runny stools. Put something in his bowl that forces him to slow down and not gobble.

Good luck..easier to train now then wait til he is older.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:03 pm

Also water in the dish will slow them down or so I was told. My GSP came to me eating that way and I still do it for his first meal of the day.
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:10 pm

Eating is the most exciting event in their day. :)

I'd have someone else bring the food bowl out and stand there until you have the dog sitting and waiting. Do this enough times so the dogs knows what is expected.

My 3 have to sit and are called by name. Reinforces who's in charge.I always call the dominant dog first in order to keep the peace. :)
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Green

Post by Green » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:45 pm

Cool. I'll keep going the direction I have been...mellow dog gets to eat. Thanks.

Ava

Post by Ava » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:32 pm

I agree, your calmest dog gets to eat first...and down the line. Does this happen only out in the kennel vs. in the house? Have you tried tiring him out before feeding? have you tried making him wait to retrieve or get a treat? in the past I have had luck with teaching my dogs that if they want something I have, they lay down. obviously, you would want to start small here, a little treat, and gradually work up toward the food bowl. with our ESS, we had to get one of those slow feed bowls because he was such a chow hound, he would inhale his food and Try stealing someone else's bowl.[img]file:///F:/Documents/My%20Pictures/Dogs/img097.jpg[/img]

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:50 pm

If all else fails walk away and don't feed him. Come back a few min later and the second he is calm put the food down if they don't eat for a day its not the end of the world.. I also hate getting jumped on when I take them off of chains. I'll stand there and when they calm down ill push down on the top of their head (preventing them from jumping), unhook and move them.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:01 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:Yikes!

Put him on leash, make him settle and sit/stand/down (whatever you prefer) and wait for his food. By 4 months he can learn to stay until released.

No reason to up the food- that's why he has runny stools. Put something in his bowl that forces him to slow down and not gobble.

Good luck..easier to train now then wait til he is older.
+1

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:26 pm

IMO the pup needs some stern correction.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:30 am

My male duece is a freak at feeding time, if I let him he has a straight verticle leap reaching a couple feet, lol, I tell him kennel, he gets in his porta kennel and then I whoa him until I put the food bowl down and walk away. Works like a charm.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:48 am

The first thing that comes to mind when I read this topic is what difference does it make if he is happy to be fed. I think we forget sometimes what we need to fix and what we don't. And my method of making that determination is what harm is the act causing. If none, why fix it. If it is causing a real problem for you or the dog then fix it. But do stop and answer that question. Then take the appropriate action.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Green

Post by Green » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:51 am

ezzy333 wrote:The first thing that comes to mind when I read this topic is what difference does it make if he is happy to be fed. I think we forget sometimes what we need to fix and what we don't. And my method of making that determination is what harm is the act causing. If none, why fix it. If it is causing a real problem for you or the dog then fix it. But do stop and answer that question. Then take the appropriate action.

Ezzy
It's not really that big of a problem now as he is still a manageable pup. However, when he's 45-50 pounds and can reach my face when jumping, or knock the kids over when they feed him, it will be a big problem. I'm thinking it is best to nip it in the bud, while it's easier to correct. Am I thinking incorrectly?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:59 am

Green wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:The first thing that comes to mind when I read this topic is what difference does it make if he is happy to be fed. I think we forget sometimes what we need to fix and what we don't. And my method of making that determination is what harm is the act causing. If none, why fix it. If it is causing a real problem for you or the dog then fix it. But do stop and answer that question. Then take the appropriate action.

Ezzy
It's not really that big of a problem now as he is still a manageable pup. However, when he's 45-50 pounds and can reach my face when jumping, or knock the kids over when they feed him, it will be a big problem. I'm thinking it is best to nip it in the bud, while it's easier to correct. Am I thinking incorrectly?
I think you are on the exact right track, if it were me I would grab is color and one flank or the other and lift him just off the ground, set him down and tell him to "be still" . This does not need to be done roughly just firmly, when you tell him to "be still", you need to MAKE him be still. When he calms down he gets fed. This has worked for me in the past with over zealous puppies.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:20 pm

This about the only place i will use sit on a pointing dog. You'll never hear me say sit outside the kennel.

If you can get the pup to sit (may need a helper at first) then lower the bowl to the ground, if pup stands raise the bowl, tell him sit or down or whatever word you wish and help him sit. The jist is lower the bowl on good behavior and raise it on unwanted behavior. Eventually pup will learn to sit to receive his food, you can then stretch the sit time until your releasing him to his food. It has always been very effective with all the dogs I own, they quickly pick up sitting calmly is the only way the food bowl gets lowered.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:35 pm

I just sent off an ESS I watched for a friend. When I got him he was 9 weeks and he left at 14 weeks. By 10 weeks, I had taught him sit, and he stay until I gave the command, "eat your food" before feeding. He would sit and watch me put his food bowl down without moving. If you're having problems with obedience at feeding time because he's excited wait until there's a huge pheasant flying in front of his face. Be nice about it but it's time to demand compliance with simple commands such as sit and stay. Cute little puppy you have there.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:15 pm

For me it is a good introduction to the whoa command. I just give the whoa command and make them stand still until I have put food in the bowl and then give them a release command. I start out by just holding them by the collar while I fill the bowl, saying whoa with a soft, calm voice. I then give them a release command. If you are consistent, they will learn pretty quick to stand still while you give the whoa command and put the food down. Don't let him cheat and anticipate the release before you give it. If he does, pick him up, set him back and make him stand until the release.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Green

Post by Green » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:33 am

Ok, I've got him trained to sit before he gets his food. I put the food in his bowl, hold it out of reach, tell him to sit...and he does on command. Then I tell him to stay and start to lower the bowl. If he flinches, I raise the bowl and make him sit in the same place. I repeat this a couple times and he won't stay, so I hold his collar, repeat "stay" a couple times, put the bowl down, tell him "release" and let go of his collar. Any suggestions on anything I should do differently?

When he eats, he literally swallows it whole...he does not chew his food. When this bag of kibble is done, I'm planning on moving him up to adult food (currently on his 2nd 20# bag of Diamond large breed puppy). I'm hoping the larger kibble will slow him down.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:59 am

In addition to getting him to settle (whoa or sit on the leash), I would also take the time to hand feed him. You won't need to do it forever, but it would help him to remain calm while eating and also would keep him from gulping down the food. I've had to go to that with the GSP pup I've got here because she was psycho when it came to feeding time. We do "sit" now and she gets a kibble at a time while she's sitting calmly. After 4 days of this, she now sits when she sees me coming with the food bowl. You'll be suprised how quickly your pup will catch on.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:48 am

Green wrote:Ok, I've got him trained to sit before he gets his food. I put the food in his bowl, hold it out of reach, tell him to sit...and he does on command. Then I tell him to stay and start to lower the bowl. If he flinches, I raise the bowl and make him sit in the same place. I repeat this a couple times and he won't stay, so I hold his collar, repeat "stay" a couple times, put the bowl down, tell him "release" and let go of his collar. Any suggestions on anything I should do differently?

When he eats, he literally swallows it whole...he does not chew his food. When this bag of kibble is done, I'm planning on moving him up to adult food (currently on his 2nd 20# bag of Diamond large breed puppy). I'm hoping the larger kibble will slow him down.
Have more patience he is learning that if he does what he wants long enough you will give up but as a small pup even if you have to hold the collar make sure that he is sitting on his own not that you are restraining him ...restraining is the same as him moving as his mind is not being still.
personally i would spread the food out on a cookie sheet and maybe cut his feedings into 2 or 3 sessions this way he is learning to sit plus after the first frenzy he will have something in his belly which also may help to slowing down the feeding frenzy on the 2nd and 3rd attempts..you will over all be feeding him the same amount just helping him to eat slower.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Green

Post by Green » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:22 pm

RoostersMom wrote:In addition to getting him to settle (whoa or sit on the leash), I would also take the time to hand feed him. You won't need to do it forever, but it would help him to remain calm while eating and also would keep him from gulping down the food. I've had to go to that with the GSP pup I've got here because she was psycho when it came to feeding time. We do "sit" now and she gets a kibble at a time while she's sitting calmly. After 4 days of this, she now sits when she sees me coming with the food bowl. You'll be suprised how quickly your pup will catch on.
Great idea.
kninebirddog wrote:Have more patience he is learning that if he does what he wants long enough you will give up but as a small pup even if you have to hold the collar make sure that he is sitting on his own not that you are restraining him ...restraining is the same as him moving as his mind is not being still.
personally i would spread the food out on a cookie sheet and maybe cut his feedings into 2 or 3 sessions this way he is learning to sit plus after the first frenzy he will have something in his belly which also may help to slowing down the feeding frenzy on the 2nd and 3rd attempts..you will over all be feeding him the same amount just helping him to eat slower.
Also a great idea. Currently, I'm feeding 1C at 7 & 7. The only other times I can feed are at noon and 4:30 (or after). Suggestions on how to split it up? I would think 1/2C 4 times a day would leave him feeling hungrier...maybe not?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:47 pm

I am referring to if you are feeding one cup of food divide that cup into thirds put first 1/3 on sheet and make him sit till food is on the ground then when he is done put the next 1/3 on sheet make him sit till sheet is on the ground when he is done then put the rest on the sheet and make him sit till sheet is on the ground could even break into fourths at the beginning...not at different times of the day

edit to add...by giving him small amounts at a time it will give him that time to cut that hunger feeling off so the rest of the portions having something in his belly may help him also not feel the need to go into a feeding frenzy
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Green

Post by Green » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:42 pm

Ahhhhhh...I got it. Lol...thanks! I give him 1C in the morning, one at night. Tonight we'll try this and see how it goes.

Green

Post by Green » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:18 am

Knine...I owe you one. It took about 5 minutes of holding him off of his food (which was on the cookie sheet) and repeating "stay", but he finally broke. He held and did nothing more than look at it, without me touching him, until I gave a "release" command. Once I released him, he moved in slowly to eat. I did this four times with his 1C of food last night and each time he improved...the last time I only needed to hold his collar for a couple seconds. He still swallows his food whole, but I'm hoping that dosing it out in smaller portions might help.

I took him out for a walk about an hour after he ate and I periodically had him sit & stay while I slowly backed away from him. If he flinched, I put him back in his spot. I could consistently get about 10 feet (I didn't want to push it too much). This was the first success we've had with the stay command and I was extremely pleased. Normally if I get much more than 2 steps, he gets up he comes to my feet. Thanks again.
Last edited by Green on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:20 am

I think Knine is a gal....

Green

Post by Green » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:21 am

Oops...I'll fix that. :oops:

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:35 am

Just keep having patience work in those small steps once you got those down then you can ask for more time in extra seconds ...AS for how he eats some dogs will always gobble their food ..We have a pointer that I have a huge cookie sheet for ..he will always need it, the Goofy dog every time bob tries to feed him in a bowl will inhale his food, hork it up and inhale it again :roll:

With pups measure success in baby steps and seconds :wink: