Tires for chewing?

nanney1

Tires for chewing?

Post by nanney1 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:13 pm

Is it o.k. to give a dog a tire to chew on? Say a lawnmower or trailer tire? My American Bulldog has killed one of these in a matter of a few days:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-care/d ... oy-2440646

He's over 100lbs and loves to chew. Considering getting an old lawnmower tire or something that would last but didn't know if it was safe.

Green

Re: Tires for chewing?

Post by Green » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:29 pm

I wouldn't. Most tires will have some kind of belting, possibly steel.

Onk

Post by Onk » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:38 pm

My guard dog ,a.k.a "bootlicker", at my impound lot gets bored and from time to time will chew a tire, steering wheel, headrest, gear shift knob.....etc. on our scrap cars. Is this good for him? Who knows, he seems to be as healthy as a horse and almost as big! Don't think I would choose to start the dog on tire chewing, just can't see where the benefit is compared to the potential problems it would cause!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Tires contain a variety of toxins.

There is a company that makes very tough tire chew toys that are safe for dogs.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:32 am

Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks,
I'm going to look at the third one you've listed as a good possibility. However, their largest model, is 6" compared to the 10" model I have that is shredded. If it's big enough for him, I'll try it out.

The first link is almost identical, if not the same, as what I had. The thinner inner portion was torn up the first day and by day three he was in to the thicker tread.

The second one has a rope which doesn't work for my American Bulldog. He pulls and tears out the rope threads and eats them.

Also going to check out the ORKA tire: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=4096010

He's a great dog and only chews his chew toys which includes a big red jolly ball that we keep outside. So, as long as he sticks to his toys and leaves everything else alone, I'll continue to look for good things for him to chew on.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:51 am

If you want to buy a chew toy once then buy a Nylabone Galileo. Just watch your toes if he decides to drop it near you.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:24 am

Tires would be fine for chewing but my experience is that they won;t do much with them. Maybe a small tire like a lawn mower size would work but all I have used are car or truck tires that I put in the kennel. I have used Nylabones and they don't seem to care much for them either. I think the best thing you can do is get the large leg and knuckle bones and they do love them and will spend a lot of time chewing on those.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:29 am

mcbosco wrote:If you want to buy a chew toy once then buy a Nylabone Galileo. Just watch your toes if he decides to drop it near you.
I agree. Those large nylabone chews are good for big-time chewers.

I also agree with mcbosco about toxins in tires; they're not meant to be consumed by any living creature.

Just because a dog CAN "chew everything" with no apparent ill effects doesn't mean it's healthy for them to do so.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:36 am

SubMariner wrote:
mcbosco wrote:If you want to buy a chew toy once then buy a Nylabone Galileo. Just watch your toes if he decides to drop it near you.
I agree. Those large nylabone chews are good for big-time chewers.

I also agree with mcbosco about toxins in tires; they're not meant to be consumed by any living creature.

Just because a dog CAN "chew everything" with no apparent ill effects doesn't mean it's healthy for them to do so.
I got two different Nylabones and Gunther could care less about them And those bad boys are not cheep :(
Is there anything like a Nylabone but cheeper and softer ?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:45 am

Yes Nylabone makes a line called Flexi-Chew which are much softer than the hard nylon toys. Dogs will often ignore a chew toy that they cannot cut up, so the Galileo-type may be too hard for a Shorthair but perfect for a Bully dog. It is not that they don't want to chew it, it is that they can't.

The black Kong toy is nearly indestructable too but mine hates it.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:07 am

Found an old Nylabone that looks like a thick bone with a knuckle on one end. It was something we bought for our older dog who is not a chewer and never did more than lick it. The American Bulldog loves it. It looks like the chew that the Chocolate Lab is working on in the photo but I couldn't find it among their current product list:
http://www.nylabone.com/product-finder/ ... a-chew.php

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:29 am

nanney1 wrote:Found an old Nylabone that looks like a thick bone with a knuckle on one end. It was something we bought for our older dog who is not a chewer and never did more than lick it. The American Bulldog loves it. It looks like the chew that the Chocolate Lab is working on in the photo but I couldn't find it among their current product list:
I have one of those and it has lasted over 3 years but the new design is much better because one end of the old model is much smaller than the other. They only chew the smaller end on the old model.

Nanney, check around on Amazon for the Galileo it is not a big seller and is less than $10 bucks. Not too many dogs can deal with that toy.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:04 am

nanney1 wrote:Found an old Nylabone that looks like a thick bone with a knuckle on one end. It was something we bought for our older dog who is not a chewer and never did more than lick it. The American Bulldog loves it. It looks like the chew that the Chocolate Lab is working on in the photo but I couldn't find it among their current product list:
Thats the one my dog hates and I have one with little spikes on it the dog hate that one too. Im going to look into the kong .

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:33 am

mcbosco: My American Bulldog has done just as you described with the Nylabone knucklebone and chewed on the smaller end. Funny thing though, now that he got started on it and created some shards, my Bernese has taken to it whereas she never touched it before. Kind of like giving a kid a hard candy apple. They don't really know what to do with it until you take the first bite to get them started.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:51 am

nanney1 wrote:mcbosco: My American Bulldog has done just as you described with the Nylabone knucklebone and chewed on the smaller end. Funny thing though, now that he got started on it and created some shards, my Bernese has taken to it whereas she never touched it before. Kind of like giving a kid a hard candy apple. They don't really know what to do with it until you take the first bite to get them started.
Sounds like its time for a new one. If you get the Galileo that Bully will have met its match.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Just remember a few things about tires as chew toys: Radials will make your dog handle better at speed; 8-ply sidewalls will help him in rough terrain (no need for a protective vest); and he'll get better traction after chewing a tire with a mud & snow tread. (Note to pointer owners: this is a joke - no dogs were harmed in the writing of it.)
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:15 am

Scott Linden wrote:Just remember a few things about tires as chew toys: Radials will make your dog handle better at speed; 8-ply sidewalls will help him in rough terrain (no need for a protective vest); and he'll get better traction after chewing a tire with a mud & snow tread. (Note to pointer owners: this is a joke - no dogs were harmed in the writing of it.)
:D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D