Skin Rash

ceadmin

Skin Rash

Post by ceadmin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:25 pm

Every year about this time of late summer/early fall, my dogs succomb to a field rash on their bellies (exposed skin areas). Every year I bring them into the Vet, they want to put on them on an antibiotic, say its from a plant allergy and then when the antibiotic treatment doesn't work, they finally hit 'em up with a steroid shot (every year I try to skip to the shot and every year they say no) which clears them up within a week.

My question to you folks, is there a homeopathic remedy that is real and not crazy so I can get this thing to heal up on its own and/or prevent it from happening?

Thanks. Both dogs are Britts and are 2 and 8 years and old and they both get it after I take them to the field this time of year.
Molon Labe!

sully511

Re: Skin Rash

Post by sully511 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:30 pm

I don't know about anything homeopathic, but as far as the vet telling you that they HAVE to give the dog a steroid shot is not right. They are YOUR dogs and YOU control their treatment, the vet is there to recommend treatments and it's your job to agree with the vet and follow through with their recommendations if you feel it is the right course of action. If you don't like what they have to say, ask for other recommendations and if they won't do that, get your records and go to another vet. Can you try starting antihistamines before they get the rash? Or if they absolutely need the steroids, get pills. I totally agree with you about giving steroids like that though, I don't like it. It has potential to lead to cushings disease later in life.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:57 pm

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/ ... viewHeader

You can try something like this. Halo also makes a good one.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:03 pm

I could tell a similar story but my dogs turned out to have mites. Maybe the vet needs to do a skin scraping.

You can get a medicated shampoo from the vet - that helps.
Last edited by Sharon on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:28 pm

We give benadryl before running them, wear a skid plate to protect the belly, and a bath after running. So far it has worked for us.

Carla

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:17 pm

I haven't a clue where you run your dogs, but is there any chance it's a chemical reaction? Seems strange that you have two different dogs with the same problem. Are the dogs related? This spring one of my shorthairs had a rash on her chest for about a week, with dry scaling skin. As I looked back, the onset would have coincided with when the neighbor sprayed the bean field with a herbicide. She had been running on the edge of my timber and his field, and I saw the sprayer, and called her in in a hurry. He'd already made a pass or two, but I didn't think she'd been much off my property line, nor did I think to wash her up. I know right now, the crop dusters are out like crazy, and that happens this time every year. Just a thought...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:14 pm

That's why I said consider mites. My 2 dogs get them at the same time. Mites go from one dog to the other. Every summer it's a problem.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

vernahll2

Post by vernahll2 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:12 am

The vet would have known if the problem was mites. Allergic skin rashes can be very uncomfortable and the earlier they clear up the better. The steroid shots are given to enhance the effect of other medications if they don't give the desired results by themselves.