Brushing teeth

Munster

Brushing teeth

Post by Munster » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:11 pm

First, how many actually do this and what do you use.

My problem, I have indoor dogs and I love it when they give me sweet puppy kisses. But, they arent so sweet anymore! Thier breath could gag a maggot!
The 6 year old female has had her teeth cleaned by the vet. That lasted a month and it was back to bad.
The 18 month old use to have great breath...for a dog.But he pisses on his legs and cleans himself up after words. SO, I am guessing he has piss breath.
I want to knowif there is a product out there that isnt a gimik that will actually help thier breath. I have tried stupid dog bisqites and I am about ready to you scope and colgate on them.

ANy ideas?
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Brushing teeth

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:25 pm

Plaque off ..you can order through Amazon a 420 gram will last a dog for about 20 months as you only put a level tiny scoop on top of their food every day

then about once a month let them chew on a Sliced knuckle bone sold by red barn also available via amazon or if there is a dog show you can generally get them there

The Plaque off takes about 3 weeks to start working but with these two things and I also have a flat heat scraper for those spots that make show up ...that has done great for my dogs...My Vet is happy when he looks at their teeth

edited to add

this one at time of posting includes shipping http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M5 ... DJG0JXMYEW

http://www.amazon.com/Sliced-White-Knuc ... B0057H4OVC I will let them chew on this for about an hour or so ever few weeks

and when my friend who shows whats that extra white she will mist hydrogen peroxide on their teeth about twice a week during the times she is showing them
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:01 am

There are a bunch of things that do work BUT if their breath is that bad you really should start with a professional cleaning. After that I would do the following:

1) Enzymatic Tooth Paste - Petco & Petsmart have many brands.
2) Scoth-brite Pads - Buy the non-abrasive thin pads and cut into strips and use them instead of a brush, once a week.
3) Twistix Dental Treats - They have sodium hexametaphosphate and they do work
4) Feed something with sodium hexametaphosphate. Eukanuba is GTD to clean up teeth.
5) Nylabone Toys - Your dog might like the softer toys. The one below is not a hard, very long lasting one but will help a lot.

http://www.nylabone.com/product-finder/ ... sshape.htm

What Knine recommended is supposed to be good but I would still get them cleaned first.

Gotta stay on teeth and keep them clean.

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:15 am

I do a teeth brushing about every 2 weeks. I just bought a tube of whatever at Petsmart that came with both a finger brush and a regular toothbrush.

Totally worth it - pretty white teeth all the time!
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:29 am

When I was showing my Bernese in conformation, I used the toothbrush and finger brush along with the enzymatic toothpaste. Once a week at the most (probably not enough) and then twice a week if a show was upcoming.

My American Bulldog is a great chewer and his nylabone and chew toys seem to keep his teeth clean.

I've read that some of the Eukanuba foods are coated with something that apparently works well for keeping teeth clean, though I've never fed it.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:05 am

I know many people use femur and knuckle bones, but chicken necks and backs are better, safer and cheaper. Chicken necks after the kibble or fed solely a few meals a week will keep teeth clean.

Turkey necks are even tougher but I wouldn't recommend for a mid-sized dog.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:27 am

The Sliced knuckle bones I refer which I added links in my original post are not ones that you get at a butcher they are processed where the marrow acts more like a sand paper ..I learned about this through my Show friends that don't like to take dogs in for teeth cleaning unless absolutely necessary and so far every dog I have used this on with in 4-6 weeks their teeth are nice and clean and the young ones their teeth stay nice and clean

and personally I won't give my dogs poultry bones of any kind...
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:45 am

kninebirddog wrote:The Sliced knuckle bones I refer which I added links in my original post are not ones that you get at a butcher they are processed where the marrow acts more like a sand paper ..I learned about this through my Show friends that don't like to take dogs in for teeth cleaning unless absolutely necessary and so far every dog I have used this on with in 4-6 weeks their teeth are nice and clean and the young ones their teeth stay nice and clean

Eventually you will get a broken tooth or multiple breaks on knuckle and femur bones. That porous sand paper-like area that you think is marrow, is not marrow that is bone.

Poultry bones are fine so long as they are given raw. The necks and backs are the safest because none of these bones are long, hollow weight-bearing bones.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:21 am

My skinny pointer that I've been feeding a chicken leg and thigh to every day now for about 2 months (weight issues) has great teeth compared to her kennel mates. I had always heard folks say that feeding raw non-weight bearing bones is the best for their teeth. I started giving my older pointer and vizsla some raw knuckle bones from the butcher to chew on twice a week. They're messy, but they're really doing the job on keeping the teeth plaque free.

Prior to this I just bought a dentist's scraper and would scrape the obvious tartar off the dog's teeth. I'm going to try the scotch-brite pads now that I've seen this suggestion!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:44 am

mcbosco wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:The Sliced knuckle bones I refer which I added links in my original post are not ones that you get at a butcher they are processed where the marrow acts more like a sand paper ..I learned about this through my Show friends that don't like to take dogs in for teeth cleaning unless absolutely necessary and so far every dog I have used this on with in 4-6 weeks their teeth are nice and clean and the young ones their teeth stay nice and clean

Eventually you will get a broken tooth or multiple breaks on knuckle and femur bones. That porous sand paper-like area that you think is marrow, is not marrow that is bone.

Poultry bones are fine so long as they are given raw. The necks and backs are the safest because none of these bones are long, hollow weight-bearing bones.
Besides Do you think Show people would use this process for years if it were breaking teeth on their top show dogs and besides If a dog is breaking teeth on these bones then that dog has other deficiencies as far as I am concerned

As for raw chicken...I do not feed raw as I do not trust the quality of meat that is uncooked anymore I sure would hate to make my dog sick. So I will stick with what works for me :wink:

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:52 am

Arlene, you are surrounded by rattlesnakes, coyotes, venemous lizzards and spiders, several deadly viruses and cougars and you are worried about raw chicken? :lol:

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:56 am

But I can step on shoot squish spray or treat for most of them if they show up ...Raw chicken scares me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:03 am

kninebirddog wrote:But I can step on shoot squish spray or treat for most of them if they show up ...Raw chicken scares me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How about green tripe?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:41 am

I brush one dog's teeth every day. It's a drag but takes 3 minutes and is better than a $1000. vet bill in the future.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:00 pm

mcbosco wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:But I can step on shoot squish spray or treat for most of them if they show up ...Raw chicken scares me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How about green tripe?
Besides yuck from me seriously all my dogs get is dry kibbleI have a few spoiled ones that get house privileges and the occasional male who if he is gonna be stays in. a create in the house so they don't get the calcium coats from the misters also so I can give then the plaque off and bones too keep their teeth nice and clean the loyall fours pretty good about not letting teeth get very nasty at all But I will run some of my trial dogs through 6 weeks of the pastie off then scrape the teeth my self if thee is to much build up...and fyi most off our dogs live to be 13 plus years old many to 14 & 15

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks, i think I will do the over kill and try allof it! I cant stand thier breath but love the kisses. Yes, they maybe a tad spoiled.

I have always been told not to feed dogs poulty bones, so that maybe a little nerve racking for me. So you think I should use chicken>? Female is 30 pounds and male is 55 pounds or so.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:27 pm

I would get the brown, nonabrasive Scothbrite pads and the Petrodex toothpaste and see how it goes after a week or two.

The chicken necks I would get clean teeth or not, but that's me.

People say that about the cooked poultry bones, raw is totally fine.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:41 pm

Mary, it is the hollow leg and wing bones that once cooked get brittle. Raw bones are fine like McBosco says. I have read recently that the brushing is a waste of time and they have been unable to see any improvement in the dog from it. I don't know personally as I have never tried it. I do make a point of giving dogs bones and rawhide to chew on, have never found a problem feeding any bone and I give them the big weight bearing ones when I can find them plus the knuckle bones. Have never had a dog break a tooth on any of them and I think it helps along with feeding only dry feed. But I also have found that some dogs create plaque and others don't and there is not much you can do about it. Had a dentist years ago tell me that about people to and it sure makes sense.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:09 pm

Brushing is a pain because you can't really apply enough pressure to remove anything. The brushes are low quality and take up too much space in the mouth.

Ezzy, try the brown non-asbrasive scotchbrite pad cut into 1 - 2 inch strips and Petrodex.

If the tartar is built-up it might make sense to scale it but after that they should stay clean with my approach. You can even splash a little peroxide on the pad.

Every pet store in the world has Petrodex toothpaste. The CET toothpaste is garbage, by the way.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:10 am

Bully sticks...

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:29 am

Keep your hunting dogs in an outside kennel where they belong, and you don't have to worry about it. :lol:
big steve

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:34 am

Greenies! They really do work. I knew Ivan, the dog Joe Roetheli created them for. He had terrible breath! I admit, they are too expensive for me to feed one every day to four dogs, but they get them as a treat after I trim their nails. The dogs are crazy about them.

Cheryl

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:50 pm

Well, my dogs got raw chicken to-day, McBosco. If there's any problem I'm looking you up. :D ( You know I'm kidding.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:20 pm

Sharon wrote:Well, my dogs got raw chicken to-day, McBosco. If there's any problem I'm looking you up. :D ( You know I'm kidding.)
Necks?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:33 pm

double post - The computer went crazy.
Last edited by Sharon on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:15 am

Sharon wrote:
mcbosco wrote:
Sharon wrote:Well, my dogs got raw chicken to-day, McBosco. If there's any problem I'm looking you up. :D ( You know I'm kidding.)
Necks?
legs
ask the butcher for backs and necks, they are about 50 cents lb, even less when you get a big box.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:49 pm

mcbosco wrote:Brushing is a pain because you can't really apply enough pressure to remove anything. The brushes are low quality and take up too much space in the mouth.

Ezzy, try the brown non-asbrasive scotchbrite pad cut into 1 - 2 inch strips and Petrodex.

If the tartar is built-up it might make sense to scale it but after that they should stay clean with my approach. You can even splash a little peroxide on the pad.

Every pet store in the world has Petrodex toothpaste. The CET toothpaste is garbage, by the way.

Every time you brush you are removing plaque. Takes 24 hours for plaque to start making tartar - what you can't get off with a brush.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:53 pm

Well, my dogs got raw chicken to-day, McBosco. If there's any problem I'm looking you up. :D ( You know I'm kidding.)[/quote]SH

Ask the butcher for backs and necks;they are about 50 cents/ lb, even less when you get a big box.[/quote][/quote]McB

Will do. The dogs think they have died and gone to heaven. :) Sh

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:24 pm

Sharon, with the big Asian population in Toronto chicken feet should be around as well.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:08 pm

mcbosco wrote:Sharon, with the big Asian population in Toronto chicken feet should be around as well.
Never met an Asian that doesn't use the feet.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:34 pm

We raised turkeys I saw so many feet and chopped off so many feet that I don't know if i could face feet again. ( I live in London , not Toronto.)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:39 pm

we used to raise about a thousand every year. At least that is what we started with.

Ezzy

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:03 am

I keep a bag of raw bones in my deep freeze, when we proccess a deer or buy a half of beef we have the large bones cut down specifically for the dogs. I give them to them on Sat. when I am home and let them work on them for a few hours. I gave three to a friend who was thinking about having the vet clean his dogs teeth for big $$$$$$$ three bones later vet appointment was canceled and dog was as good as new. Only teeth that may need some help is th outside of th k9 s.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:17 am

ezzy333 wrote:
mcbosco wrote:Sharon, with the big Asian population in Toronto chicken feet should be around as well.
Never met an Asian that doesn't use the feet.

Ezzy
I think you know what I meant!!!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:30 am

:D

B&BWeims

Post by B&BWeims » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Dogs don't need their teeth brushed. Raw meaty bones scrub away bacteria, infections and plaque in the mouth and freshen the breath. A good raw meaty bone for teeth cleaning are pig feet, pork hocks, shanks, chicken feet and wings (turkey and chicken are good wings). These are just some bones out of many others that you could feed.

Don't buy store bought bones, they splinter and definitely don't clean teeth.

If you're interested in learning more about feeding raw meaty bones and a raw food diet, read more about them at these sites here: http://www.rawmeatybones.com/
http://rawdogranch.com/
http://www.netrophic.com/rawfeeding/
http://manteega.com/packlunch/articles/ ... alhome.htm
http://rawfed.com/myths/
http://www.saddogsushi.com/faqs.html
http://www.saddogsushi.com/why_raw.html

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:22 pm

B&BWeims wrote:Dogs don't need their teeth brushed. Raw meaty bones scrub away bacteria, infections and plaque in the mouth and freshen the breath. A good raw meaty bone for teeth cleaning are pig feet, pork hocks, shanks, chicken feet and wings (turkey and chicken are good wings). These are just some bones out of many others that you could feed.

If you're interested in learning more about feeding raw meaty bones and a raw food diet, read more about them at these sites here: http://www.rawmeatybones.com/

You have linked a number of advertisements to promote feeding raw. Nothing wrong with that if they just told us why raw is good but they spend most of their time telling us why our dry food is bad and very little of it is even true. Thoe type of articles are not omly worthless but if you believe them they would be harmful for your dog. We do need to keep things as close to accurate and honest as we cn on a forum where new comers come to learn.

Ezzy

B&BWeims

Post by B&BWeims » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:43 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
B&BWeims wrote:Dogs don't need their teeth brushed. Raw meaty bones scrub away bacteria, infections and plaque in the mouth and freshen the breath. A good raw meaty bone for teeth cleaning are pig feet, pork hocks, shanks, chicken feet and wings (turkey and chicken are good wings). These are just some bones out of many others that you could feed.

You have linked a number of advertisements to promote feeding raw. Nothing wrong with that if they just told us why raw is good but they spend most of their time telling us why our dry food is bad and very little of it is even true. Thoe type of articles are not omly worthless but if you believe them they would be harmful for your dog. We do need to keep things as close to accurate and honest as we cn on a forum where new comers come to learn.

Ezzy
These are articles, there the truth. If you actually read the articles I listed, you would see the benefits of feeding raw/raw meaty bones. Feeding raw won't do any harm to your dog, supervision is something I do recommend, however when feeding a raw food diet. The only way you can learn is to educate yourself and you saying these articles are worthless goes to show you that you know absolutely nothing about feeding a raw food diet. I know of many people who feed a raw food diet who recommend these same articles, saying many of these articles are how they started learning about feeding their dogs raw. My information is a 100% accurate and honest, if it wasn't, I wouldn't be posting it.

Please take the time to read and educate yourself on feeding a raw food diet.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:35 pm

These are articles, there the truth. If you actually read the articles I listed, you would see the benefits of feeding raw/raw meaty bones. Feeding raw won't do any harm to your dog, supervision is something I do recommend, however when feeding a raw food diet. The only way you can learn is to educate yourself and you saying these articles are worthless goes to show you that you know absolutely nothing about feeding a raw food diet. I know of many people who feed a raw food diet who recommend these same articles, saying many of these articles are how they started learning about feeding their dogs raw. My information is a 100% accurate and honest, if it wasn't, I wouldn't be posting it.

Please take the time to read what I posted. I didn't in anyway say raw is bad. I did say the articles you linked us to spent most of their time telling us how bad dry food is and little telling us about the advantage of feeding raw.

For your info a few of us are old enough to remember when there was no manufactured dry dog food and you will never get me and many others to go back to feeding raw. Too time consuming, too costly, too inconvenient, inability to balance the diet consistantly, and impossible to take with you on any kind of a trip. Plus the dogs do great on the dry kibble. And a greatly reduced chance of you getting salmonella poisioning.

Ezzy

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:37 pm

For your info a few of us are old enough to remember when there was no manufactured dry dog food and you will never get me and many others to go back to feeding raw. Too time consuming, too costly, too inconvenient, inability to balance the diet consistantly, and impossible to take with you on any kind of a trip. Plus the dogs do great on the dry kibble.
Why do I feel the next link will address everything you just mentioned? :lol:

B&BWeims

Post by B&BWeims » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:22 pm

ezzy333 wrote:

Please take the time to read what I posted. I didn't in anyway say raw is bad. I did say the articles you linked us to spent most of their time telling us how bad dry food is and little telling us about the advantage of feeding raw.

For your info a few of us are old enough to remember when there was no manufactured dry dog food and you will never get me and many others to go back to feeding raw. Too time consuming, too costly, too inconvenient, inability to balance the diet consistantly, and impossible to take with you on any kind of a trip. Plus the dogs do great on the dry kibble. And a greatly reduced chance of you getting salmonella poisioning.

Ezzy
Way back then, they fed their dogs scrap meat. Home cooked dog food is time consuming, raw only takes a few to a couple minutes to put together. Raw is cheaper to feed than kibble depending on where you get the meat at. Asian markets are a great place to get pounds and pounds of meat for under $10. Asian markets have a lot of good deals and so do grocery stores, my local grocery store does at least. I can get a whole chicken for $1-2 dollars and buy organs for under $.99. A raw diet is a complete, balanced diet depending on how you put it together. A complete balanced raw food diet consists of 80% muscle meat, 10% bone and 10% organs. I would add supplements to the diet as well. I do add supplements to my dog's daily food as I would do with a raw food diet. There's a very slim chance your dog is going to get salmonella poisoning from eating raw but the chances are still there, they're just very slim. You can get salmonella poisoning from feeding dog kibble. Not to long along, Diamond Dog Food recalled their food for salmonella contamination. Look how many dogs died in 2007 and 2008 recalls of kibble contaminated with salmonella poisoning.

People who feed raw, who go on trips, bring with them a high quality kibble. The sites I listed do give a lot of information about feeding a raw food diet. High quality kibbles aren't bad to feed, it's the low quality ones that are and I'm not telling anyone to switch to a raw food diet, it's just a recommendation, something else to look into.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:35 pm

Are you aware that there were over 50 recalls last year and some were the foods you are recommending. Did you notice I said you could get salmonella not the dog which probably contacts salmonella many times a year with no problem. Have you noticed how much your dogs loves rotten stuff, horse, cat, and bird droppings, plus rotting grass and other thing? Rather odd for an animal that only eats meat. Glad you do supplement your dogs that are fed raw but if you fed kibble all of that is included. By the way, we did use to cook for our dogs, usually a big pan of CORN BREAD. Plus the dogs usually ate a ear of corn from the corn crib but mine now go out to the field and find an ear and bring it back to the yard.

How many healthy performance dogs are feed Purina compared to raw? Go to a trial someday and observe.

Ezzy

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:31 pm

I purchased the Proden PlaqueOff Dental Care for Dogs and Cats as was recommended above.

However, my dog started to get really bad diarrhea after using the product daily for around a week. I discontinued the use of the product. Thus, I couldn't tell whether it works or not. Based on the ingredient list it is dried sea weed that contains an ingredient that inhibits bacterial growth.

My lab does is not a big chewer. I have tried many products, but really doesn't chew enough to get her teeth clean.

I think I will try giving her knuckle bones that others have said does a good job of getting teeth clean.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, please post.

-Hondo

MNspanielguy

Post by MNspanielguy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:08 pm

I brush my dog's teeth with those $5 battery operated kids toothbrushes that you get at the grocery store. Put the doggie toothpaste on and shove it in the dog's mouth and hold it's mouth closed. I have used the spaceman and the robot with previous dogs. Current dog has the Indy car version.

Mike

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:41 pm

We just give Pig Ears............ Never need to brush or take to the Vet for a cleaning.
My old 13 year old dog has nice clean and his teeth are clean and white -- with NO problem with tartar.
My Vet is always impressed.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker