Scabbing from e-collar

Lukenbill

Scabbing from e-collar

Post by Lukenbill » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:26 pm

Just wanted to check in to see if this is something that's fairly common or if I'm doing something completely wrong here.

I just started my pup getting used to the e-collar. She's had it on her 5-6 times, no longer than 2 or 2.5 hours at the most, sometimes as little as 45 minutes. Yesterday morning while petting her neck I noticed that the spot that her e-collar sits on her neck had two almost perfectly round scabs, right where the points would hit.

I wrote to TriTronics (it's a Sport Basic G3) and their basic response was, make sure it's tight and if you notice rubbing, just move it to another spot. I put the collar high and tight on her, but I do put it in the same place every time. Should I be switching off? Is this a common issue? Any other things I can do to help this? She's a springer spaniel and I've been putting the short prongs on so far.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Scabbing from e-collar

Post by ACooper » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:54 pm

It should not be rubbing sores on her neck, there is an issue, maybe to tight? Maybe to loose? Make sure you have it high and snug. Cute pup by the way.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:12 pm

I've used a collar on 3 dogs for 20 years; never had a scab etc. That is very strange.

Could it be from the dog scratching at the e-collar?

Couldn't hurt to try longer points.
It is definately not from the electricity in the collar. It doesn't work that way.
Do you give the dog a lot of baths? I read that many baths softens the skin ( including the skin around the neck. . I have no idea if this is true or not. :)

other info: http://ca.search.yahoo.com/search?ei=ut ... bing&type=
Last edited by Sharon on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Lukenbill

Post by Lukenbill » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:40 am

I make sure it is high and tight when it goes on, but maybe I need to be checking it more often during the training to make sure it stays tight. The scabs are definitely from the points of the collar. You think using the longer points would help?

fordman

Post by fordman » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:58 am

not that uncommon i get those on some of my dogs from the probes, and i use the longer probes on mine.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:59 am

Question, how long is the collar left on? I noticed when I use to leave the collars on the dog's for barking in the kennel, they would get them. You have to make sure you keep the probes and the are cleaned really well when using often.

Lukenbill

Post by Lukenbill » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:58 pm

The longest period of time was maybe 2.5 hours at the very most when we were out playing and doing retrieve/quarter training on the state land. I'll pay attention to keeping the probes clean, that's a good point. She's only had it on 5 or 6 times though, so it's in fairly mint shape. She also hasn't had it on in water yet either.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:26 pm

Thats weird for only having on for 2.5 hours. Do you have the short probes or long ones on?? I know short or long my dog has issues when left on too long (couple days, BARK COLLAR). Just keep your dog's neck area cleaned as well with warm soapy water and allow the area to dry before re-introducing the collar.

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Lukenbill wrote:I make sure it is high and tight when it goes on, but maybe I need to be checking it more often during the training to make sure it stays tight. The scabs are definitely from the points of the collar. You think using the longer points would help?
High and tight is TOO TIGHT!

You should be able to fit 2 or 3 fingers easily between the collar and the neck.

Scabs are a sure sign the collar is too tight.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.