Diarrhea after worming?

SubMariner

Diarrhea after worming?

Post by SubMariner » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Last month our new pup developed severe diarrhea & started vomiting up worms. So we put him on Safe-guard for three days & while the overt symptoms disappeared the diarrhea persisted for at least a week afterward.

We were then told by the breeder that he would need to be de-wormed monthly until he's 6 months old (he'll be 5 months at the end of Sept).

This week after the 3-day course of Safe-guard he again wound up with a terrible case of diarrhea. Is this normal?

Thanks,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

sully511

Re: Diarrhea after worming?

Post by sully511 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:34 pm

I personally have not had that problem with any dogs I have de-wormed. Have you had the stool checked for coccidia and/or giardia? Those can cause some intermittent diarrhea.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Diarrhea after worming?

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:55 pm

Makes me wonder if there isn't something more as when I use safe guard we go from having soft stools to them firming up

I would try a five day regime and let the safe guard really have time to build up and seriously kill of what is possibly in there sounds like the breeders did use a good enough wormer if the pup was loaded with worms when you got him as if they were that bad it takes having them pretty much all their little lives to be that loaded up where it is coming from both ends and 3 days of safeguard may not be enough to really allow it to build up enough in the body to get everything effective

Might consider calling the vet and have it checked out also in case there maybe something else not right
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.