Stomach..New pup

Brittlver

Stomach..New pup

Post by Brittlver » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Ok, I just got our new pup and he is doing awesome. We did notice that his stomach is really big like he is full of gas/food. He does have bowel movements but doesn't seem to go down much. It feels a bit hard so think something is keeping him from releasing it all out. Any other explanations for this. If it doesn't go down soon I will have to bring him to the vet. Thanks for all the help. He is eating and drinking just fine.

Jesse

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Stomach..New pup

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:41 pm

Roundworms.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:44 pm

The only thing I can think of is a belly full of roundworms.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:47 pm

Brittlver wrote:Ok, I just got our new pup and he is doing awesome. We did notice that his stomach is really big like he is full of gas/food. He does have bowel movements but doesn't seem to go down much. It feels a bit hard so think something is keeping him from releasing it all out. Any other explanations for this. If it doesn't go down soon I will have to bring him to the vet. Thanks for all the help. He is eating and drinking just fine.

Jesse
i noticed that when i saw his picture but didnt want to say anything..usually the case is internal parasites, even if a pup has been dewormed sometimes if the feces arent cleaned up immediately the pup can reinfest over and over whether its been dewormed or not..keep in mind your other pup can also get the worms quite easily so i would take him to the vet to be sure and deworm both of them to be safe..also a dog can have "bloat" without the stomach twisting, ive seen it in the vet hospital where the dogs couldnt release gas but the stomach wasnt twisted to cause death immediately but was still painful and the vet had to put a tube down the throat to release the built up air/gas, this is common in pups that are nervous and maybe your pup was stressed with the move from his other home...ruth
Last edited by GUNDOGS on Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:51 pm

mcbosco wrote:The only thing I can think of is a belly full of roundworms.
yep sounds like a belly full of worms

go to petsmart and get some Nemex II double strength if they got it that will get a good instant start on what is there

then if the pup blows out a bowl of spaghetti after a 2 weeks do at least a 3 day regime of safeguard
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:40 pm

Yeah get on that because the pup could vomit a ton of live worms and that is about the most unpleasant thing I can think of.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:50 pm

I'll call the vet tomorrow and see if I can get him in to a full look over. Will let you all know what I find. Hopefully we can pass this soon and get to training him.

Jesse

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:02 pm

Ok had a stool sample done and it came back negative. Could it be that he is just fat? He does have normal stools. What do you all think.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:32 pm

Went out and played with the pup and Molly. Seems like his stomach has gone down a bit. Pretty soft now compared to yesterday. Thinking he is just a fat little thing and is in need of some exercise. LOL. He does love to sleep with molly and picking up her bark too.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:23 am

Brittlver wrote:Went out and played with the pup and Molly. Seems like his stomach has gone down a bit. Pretty soft now compared to yesterday. Thinking he is just a fat little thing and is in need of some exercise. LOL. He does love to sleep with molly and picking up her bark too.
maybe it was the food he was on, maybe it made him gassy..i know sometimes a fecal sample will come back negative even if they have worms if they dont shed eggs into the poop so it might not hurt to deworm him anyway..glad hes company for molly, but barking, ugg dont get me started :wink: ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)