Dog will not eat

Cooper08

Dog will not eat

Post by Cooper08 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:52 pm

My lab is 3 years old and I have been feeding him Eukanuba since he was a pup. Started out with the puppy food and now eats the 30/20 blend.

He usually loves to eat but over the last 5 days or so he seems scared of his food, he will eat other brands no problem. When I mix other brands with the Eukanuba 50/50 he still will not eat the food.

Anyone experience this problem and come to any conclusion on why?

Thanks,

Jason

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog will not eat

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:53 am

Sounds like the food is bad. Probably rancid fat from getting too hot during transportation or storage. Trust the dog and get a new bag of food from a more recent run number
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:15 am

And get your money back Euk is GTD no questions asked.

Red

Post by Red » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:14 am

GTD
What is GTD?
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:24 am

What is GTD?
Guaranteed

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:53 am

If you complain enough they will send you coupons plus your money back or a free bag.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:03 am

You don't have to complain. They replace or refund at POP if you have the bag. Do call it in, though, so they can make note of the run number. P&G is good about sending coupons if you sign up through the product website.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:22 pm

Cooper08 wrote:My lab is 3 years old and I have been feeding him Eukanuba since he was a pup. Started out with the puppy food and now eats the 30/20 blend.

He usually loves to eat but over the last 5 days or so he seems scared of his food, he will eat other brands no problem. When I mix other brands with the Eukanuba 50/50 he still will not eat the food.

Anyone experience this problem and come to any conclusion on why?

Thanks,

Jason
Are you adding anything to the food? One of my dogs eats great but if add anything - bit of olive oil, some chicken skin, piece of potato etc. - he refuses to eat.
Also seems scared/anxious when something is added.

Not eating can also be a first sign of pain.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Will he eagerly eat anything else?
If yes, it might be something wrong with the food, like mold or going rancid.
If no, it might be something like a bad tooth or a sore throat that causes him pain when he eats. Can you look in his mouth and see if there's a seed or splinter in his throat or stuck in his tongue? While you're in there look for a broken or cracked tooth. Use a flashlight.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Ya know you guy's, I don't know if I buy the going rancid answer. My dogs drag in and eat stuff a vulture wouldn't eat! :( I have fossil's laying all mover the place they drug in the chew on. :oops: Of course there was a couple feeds over the years I couldn't get dogs to eat. After seeing what they do eat, that scared me. Anybody got a dog that hasn't eaten a turd it found on the ground? :mrgreen:

Sometimes I think dogs feel it's in your best interest to gross you out really bad when the opertunity presents itself! :roll:
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:52 pm

DonF wrote:Ya know you guy's, I don't know if I buy the going rancid answer. My dogs drag in and eat stuff a vulture wouldn't eat! :( I have fossil's laying all mover the place they drug in the chew on. :oops: Of course there was a couple feeds over the years I couldn't get dogs to eat. After seeing what they do eat, that scared me. Anybody got a dog that hasn't eaten a turd it found on the ground? :mrgreen:

Sometimes I think dogs feel it's in your best interest to gross you out really bad when the opertunity presents itself! :roll:
My dog tyson brought out a maggot infested rabbit carcus from under our deck when he was a pup and insisted on giving it to me while i tried running away from him :lol: ..ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:32 pm

Mine refuses homemade treats and cooked chicken but Hoovers green tripe, go figure.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:09 pm

DonF wrote:Ya know you guy's, I don't know if I buy the going rancid answer. My dogs drag in and eat stuff a vulture wouldn't eat! :( I have fossil's laying all mover the place they drug in the chew on. :oops: Of course there was a couple feeds over the years I couldn't get dogs to eat. After seeing what they do eat, that scared me. Anybody got a dog that hasn't eaten a turd it found on the ground? :mrgreen:

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read it. :lol:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:11 pm

Rancid won't stop them from eating but there could be some other factor involved if it just the one feed he won't eat. I would get a different bag from a different lot and see what happens.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

edb

Post by edb » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:07 am

Not sure what it is but 2 years ago I had a dog that refused to eat Eukanuba also. Switched feed and have never had an issue since. Must have a smell or taste they get tired of.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:02 pm

Dogs get bored. Alternate between 3 quality foods. Should fix it.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:29 pm

Never ever had a dog get bored with its food, they eat or they starve.

Be nice to hear an update......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:48 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Never ever had a dog get bored with its food, they eat or they starve.

Be nice to hear an update......
Animals are programed to eat what they have been fed. No quicker way to make them quit eating and get the runs than to switch feed on them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

edb

Post by edb » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:16 pm

Mine had been on it for over 2 years before he started picking slowly at it then just stopped. Other dog was still eating fine. I don't think it was bad just didn't like it for whatever reason. No problems with loose stools.

Cooper08

Post by Cooper08 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:12 pm

Thanks for all the responsed, I pick up some blue buffalo and he is excited to eat and chows it down like he use to. not sure what was wrong with the food but petsmart said I could return it, even the open bags.

Does anyone have a dog food they would suggest? The protein and fat levels are similar to the Eukanuba but the stuff is expenisive, I don't mind spending a few bucks for good dog food.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:06 am

You'll get a mess of opinions on brands so i might as well start.

For the my lab i feed Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice. http://www.diamondpet.com/products/diam ... g_formula/

I feed my pointers the Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete, during high work loads like during waterfowl season or a young fit hard charging lab i am not afraid to mix the two to up his intake
a little. I can feed him the EA exclusively but he's older now and i think long term its easier to maintain his weight with mostly the Chicken and rice above.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:50 am

Cooper08 wrote:Thanks for all the responsed, I pick up some blue buffalo and he is excited to eat and chows it down like he use to. not sure what was wrong with the food but petsmart said I could return it, even the open bags.

Does anyone have a dog food they would suggest? The protein and fat levels are similar to the Eukanuba but the stuff is expenisive, I don't mind spending a few bucks for good dog food.
Petsmart is lying. In any event call Eukanuba and give them the UPC number and they will send you a check. They will do it with a smile.

Eagle Power Pack is a good one and easy to find. Good value, less than Euk but still high quality. Annamaet Ultra and Dr. Tim's Pursuit are also two other great foods.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:38 am

How is PetSmart lying?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:42 am

Because it doesn't matter whether the packpage is open or not for a return. The local manager just doesn't want to deal with it. How else would you know if a food product was defective? You have to open it.

I would have made such a fuss there.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:00 am

mcbosco wrote:Because it doesn't matter whether the packpage is open or not for a return. The local manager just doesn't want to deal with it. How else would you know if a food product was defective? You have to open it.

Ae you on dope, or did you misread cooper's post? Maybe it's me, I don't know. :wink: :P
big steve

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:06 am

Oh sorry I misread it, duh, sorry.
Last edited by mcbosco on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:07 am

big steve46 wrote:
mcbosco wrote:Because it doesn't matter whether the packpage is open or not for a return. The local manager just doesn't want to deal with it. How else would you know if a food product was defective? You have to open it.

Ae you on dope, or did you misread cooper's post? Maybe it's me, I don't know. :wink: :P
It's not you.....