OFA in Missouri

hpvizslas

OFA in Missouri

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:20 am

Any recommendations for a vet that will do the OFA xrays without anthesia?

stlgsp

Re: OFA in Missouri

Post by stlgsp » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:37 am

Jeff, when are you looking to have it done? One of the local clubs does a full health clinic twice a year, they offer just about every health test you can think of including ofa without anesthesia. Not sure if you want to come to St. Louis County but the costs were reasonable and they do a good job, had one of mine OFA'd at their last one. I can check to see when the next one is if you're interested.

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:44 am

Let me know. Twister will be two in October and we want to get it done as soon as possible.
Thanks

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:21 pm

Lin gets hers done at a clinic in Springfield. I met the vet, she's very experienced and will do a good job with the dog.

Thanks for all your help at the banquet on Saturday!

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:12 pm

Found out the next clinic won't be until February so it depends on how long you want to wait. I'll check with Val to see if she knows someone else, unless you decide to make the drive to Springfield.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:37 pm

Did you try UM- Columbia?

falcondoc

Post by falcondoc » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:21 pm

I would be able to help you with OFA radiographs. I will do them without anesthesia if the owners requests this. Plus I am a vizsla guy myself! I am 25 min. south of the greater St. Louis area. Let me know if you want more info. Tim Sullivan, DVM

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:22 pm

If I am not mistaken OFA is in Columbia, if its an option why not go to the source?

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:26 pm

I had one done in St Joseph, MO in 2004. I found her OFA report but I cannot find the info on the vet who did it. I remember it wasn't far from the college, Missouri Western.

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:53 pm

I had mine done without anesthesia at Jackson Animal Clinic in Platte City, MO.

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:02 am

Thanks for all the replies, I will be trying to find someone soon, just have to wait for the 24 month birthday, which is coming up soon.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:51 am

hey guys. just wondering about the preference for no sedation on OFAs. Is thre a specific reason you prefer that?

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:12 am

dog dr wrote:hey guys. just wondering about the preference for no sedation on OFAs. Is thre a specific reason you prefer that?
Why put a dog under when it is not necessary?

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:17 pm

hpvizslas wrote:
dog dr wrote:hey guys. just wondering about the preference for no sedation on OFAs. Is thre a specific reason you prefer that?
Why put a dog under when it is not necessary?

I guess i feel like i can get a better picture when they are sedated. Less fighting the dog, and less painful for the dog too. I have done it both ways, i just prefer to have them lightly sedated. Plus i can wake them up just as fast as they went down.

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:32 pm

When we had it done, I was there to help hold and she didn't fight us at all. With that being said, this one may be different.

Next question for you would be what is the cost difference with sedation vs. without? What do you charge if there is no difference?

sully511

Post by sully511 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:20 pm

I agree with dog dr, I would prefer my dog be under anesthesia for OFA's. When the dog is relaxed you have a couple of things going for you.... no fighting, better picture and less of a chance of having to take multiple x-rays because of bad positioning. When they get the x-rays done, you have to turn the legs in toward each other while at the same time you are pulling them down as flat as you can get them to make them as straight as possible. It just seems so painful and yeah it can just take a minute or two of pulling them like that, but I would like my dog to not have a painful experience at the vet if it's not necessary. I do know lots of people that get them done without anesthesia and for the most part the x-rays turn out ok, but some have had to resubmit more films (back to the vet for a second time for more x-rays) because they got a bad rating due to positioning. I guess it's sort of "6 of one, half dozen of the other" sort of thing. Good luck with whatever you decide.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:50 pm

sully511 wrote:I agree with dog dr, I would prefer my dog be under anesthesia for OFA's. When the dog is relaxed you have a couple of things going for you.... no fighting, better picture and less of a chance of having to take multiple x-rays because of bad positioning. When they get the x-rays done, you have to turn the legs in toward each other while at the same time you are pulling them down as flat as you can get them to make them as straight as possible. It just seems so painful and yeah it can just take a minute or two of pulling them like that, but I would like my dog to not have a painful experience at the vet if it's not necessary. I do know lots of people that get them done without anesthesia and for the most part the x-rays turn out ok, but some have had to resubmit more films (back to the vet for a second time for more x-rays) because they got a bad rating due to positioning. I guess it's sort of "6 of one, half dozen of the other" sort of thing. Good luck with whatever you decide.
+1

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:53 am

Over the past few years I've had one done at a health clinic without and four done by my vet who uses a very light anesthesia. My vet puts them to where they're very relaxed but not totally out. I'm not a fan of anesthesia when it's not necessary but after holding the one down you could tell he was very uncomfortable where the others could have cared less. The plus side to the clinic was that they were almost half the cost though.

I had a knee and and ankle xrayed not too long ago and after the positions they put them in I was wishing I could have had something to knock me out....

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:47 am

hpvizslas wrote:When we had it done, I was there to help hold and she didn't fight us at all. With that being said, this one may be different.

Next question for you would be what is the cost difference with sedation vs. without? What do you charge if there is no difference?

we charge $20 for sedation.