Something for pain

Maverick57

Something for pain

Post by Maverick57 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:15 pm

Howdy All,

Been real busy, but at least trying to keep up the post reading. Got a question ? What can you give a dog for pain till you can get him to the vet for a non emergency.

What I know they can not have : Tylenol- ibuprfin-motrin- Asprin I know can cause ulcers in the stomach.

So what can you get that is Safe for a dog. My Roomates Working heeler injured his ACL on Friday, this dog is amazing- we Ice packed his leg 5min on 10 min off, all I had on hand was baby asprian. exray today comfrumed my thoughts on what had happened.

HE ia now on rymidal short term but I would like to keep something around for emergencys in the first aid kit for the dogs

Thanks Ya'll

Maverick57 (Lisa)
Maverick 57

If you are not the lead Dog, The view never changes !

Good Girls Seldom Make History !

sully511

Re: Something for pain

Post by sully511 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:50 pm

I actually tend to keep some Rimadyl or Tramadol on hand just in case. For me I end up getting an RX from the vet for a problem and don't end up needing all that was prescribed, or I will get an RX specifically for emergencies (just a couple of tablets really). As long as I keep up with yearly exams and bloodwork on my guys, the vet is fine with doing that but I don't abuse that deal. I don't like to give aspirin or ascriptin, but people do and they don't seem to have problems with giving it.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:52 pm

I keep baby aspirin on hand or tramadol
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Dog aspirin, which I believe is 325 mg, liver flavored, like that does any good, and arnica 6x homeopathic are my go tos.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:40 pm

I give buffered aspirin, long term use is what causes stomach issues.......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:42 pm

birddog1968 wrote:I give buffered aspirin, long term use is what causes stomach issues.......
+1. The same with people.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:41 pm

I just had an incident, ran over my Pepper dog with the 4 wheeler. X rays came back good but her tail was hurting her, think i folded it over pretty good with the wheeler. Anyways, 5 days with some buffered aspirin (buffrin) and she's much better.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:54 am

Baby aspirin and, if it's an abrasion or cut, neosporin with pain relief. Good idea to get hold of a prescription pain med. for emergencies though.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:38 am

Tramadol.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:02 am

I've used Rymidal several times but never for more than 5 days straight so I'm not sure what or if it has any long term effects. But its always worked for my dogs great.

Maverick57

Post by Maverick57 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:34 am

See I knew I could count on ya'll for this, Babyor buffered has been my choice till I could get to the vet. Rimydal I would have to have scrip from the vet, but tramadol, I keep in very low dose for me whne my knee oe back decideds to give me problems, I am not a drug person so my doc know low dose as possible. so I will keep all this together.

We have had to sure get creative to give Harpo is meds till surg. He is a very strange dog but a great one
Maverick 57

If you are not the lead Dog, The view never changes !

Good Girls Seldom Make History !