Broken toe-nail

cpinkert

Broken toe-nail

Post by cpinkert » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:04 am

So, my 9 month old britt broke off one of the toenails (pretty close to the paw itself) on a rear paw. It bled a lot initially, but some pressure, a bandaid and a sock got that under control. At first it didn't seem like it bothered her at all, but yesterday my girlfriend took off the bandaid and sock (because supposedly it looked good and dried out) and now it seems like it's kind of bothering the pup. Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with a broken nail? I've heard Talcom powder might help?

Thanks for any advice!

-Chris

jlp8cornell

Re: Broken toe-nail

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:34 am

Are all parts of the damaged toenail gone? If not, any "dead" parts should be clipped down. The main concern is potential infection. You can soak the toe in warm soapy water, apply antibiotic ointment and keep bandaged. Some vets would put the dog on a course of oral antibiotics. I would try to treat it myself first.

PS- Use something other then a bandaid to protect it. I would use non-stick gauze or telfa pads on top of the nail with AB ointment and the wrap in vetwrap. Keep dry.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:08 am

tincture of time

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:32 am

Watch for swelling and heat around the area.

Lots of nerves there and so easy to reinjure and get infected.

Don't rush that pup.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:38 am

We have 4 dogs, but only one who chronically breaks toenails. The only thing I have found successful is to keep her nails short. When she breaks one, I try to trim the shattered nail as short as possible, and keep it clean. Use a wrap or dog boot or both. No point having a lame dog at this time of year.

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:18 pm

dog dr wrote:tincture of time
Well, after looking up the definition of "tincture" I'm wondering if what exactly you mean by your response Dr.?

Assuming I keep the foot clean, in a dog boot or something like that, and it doesn't appear to be bothering her, can I still hunt the pup while she's healing or is that running too much of a risk to the foot?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:22 pm

That and maybe a little dabs of tea tree oil ..will help dry out harden and help fight infections..
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:23 pm

Oh PS Dog Dr do you sell Tincture of Time in quantity :mrgreen:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:07 pm

lol, should have googled the whole phrase... :lol:

took the bandage off tonight and it's starting to heal.

on a serious note, does anyone do anything to harden up their dogs nails to avoid this kind of stuff? this sucks!

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:46 am

cpinkert wrote:
Well, after looking up the definition of "tincture" I'm wondering if what exactly you mean by your response Dr.?

Assuming I keep the foot clean, in a dog boot or something like that, and it doesn't appear to be bothering her, can I still hunt the pup while she's healing or is that running too much of a risk to the foot?

sorry... :oops: i must have been in smarta$$ mode! i just meant that usually all you need to do is clean it and wait for it to heal.

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:27 am

no apology necessary, after i realized what your saying i got a good laugh at my own expense! :lol:

thanks for the advice!