Eye Problems in GSPs

cmanco

Eye Problems in GSPs

Post by cmanco » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:54 pm

I was just wondering if GSPs are prone to any eye problems. My 5 month old pup's left eye gets very red, and its off and on, but usually most red at the end of the day. I don't think it's cherry eye, any idea what it could be? Is it something I should be worried about. Heres a pic, you can really see it when she turns her eye, but when shes looking straight on you can't tell. She's a little cross-eyed to, but i'm hoping her muscles develop and she grows out of it.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Eye Problems in GSPs

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:12 pm

Get some isotonic eye wash and keep her eyes rinsed. Looks like irritation from debris like dust and pollen.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:21 pm

My GSP (good breeding )went blind at 5 years due to cataracts. $1000. per eye to fix with no promises. Cataracts are easy to see and it sounds like your dog just has aggravated eyes from ..........Rinse regularly.

Others can give you better info on hereditary diseases in GSPs, but I did find this:

"Most German Shorthaired pointers are tough, healthy dogs, but according to Mayor B. Loney, DVM (NAVHDA Versatile Hunting Dog Magazine, April, 2003) the breed can be subject to a number of hereditary disorders just as any other purebred due to their breeding. A few individuals may suffer from hip dysplasia, genetic eye diseases, epilepsy, skin disorders and cancerous lesions in the mouth, on the skin and other areas of the body"
Last edited by Sharon on Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:53 pm

The only specific eye disorder the German shorthaired pointer is tested for under CHIC is cone degenration. If you suspect damage to the cornea, a fluorescein stain procedure may be done. There may be some virtually indetectable debris caught in the conjunctiva causing repeated irritation. It really looks like a simple irritation, not some dramatic congenital defect or disease.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:03 am

Hard to see anything from the pics. Good idea to mix some eye wash with pharma quality boric acid. Boric acid is a good thing to have for ear wash as well.

And not a bad idea to check her top teeth. The roots on the big teeth are close to the sinus cavity.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:24 am

Since it's at the end of the day and in one eye it could be from a tear duct problem in that eye. If that's the one that's "crossed" maybe something to consider. Just thinking outloud.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:04 am

Boric acid wash is good for cleaning out tear ducts. You say she is cross-eyed? Are her pupils the same size? They look fine in the second picture, I am just wondering.

I had a JR that developed a bad sinus infection when she 15 and blew out her tear ducts. I used this and it worked very well. Good stuff if you don't care to mix boric acid wash yourself.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/ ... der-115017

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:24 am

Look up Entropion.
Basicly is when the eyelid turns (usually the lower) in and allows the eyelashes to rub the eye. I think that the readness could be a symtom of this.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:33 am

When the eyes become irritated the third eyelid comes up partially covering the eye & I think that is what you are seeing,the third eyelid.When it comes up & stays up that is Cherry eye.
Cherry eye doens't come & go as far as I know & requires an operation to remove it.I'd guess something is causing irritation in that eye & washing it out with eye was might solve your problem.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:28 pm

the CERF exam is required for CHIC certfication and tests for the disorders listed here:
http://www.vmdb.org/categories.html

Hereditary cataracts are more common than you think in both labs and GSP's, and your "24 month" health guarrantee will probably not help you much since they are rarely diagnosed before then.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:32 pm

As to your initial post, though, I think it looks irritated. I agree wash it with sterile eye wash and watch it.

RogueDog

Post by RogueDog » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:26 pm

The left eye actually looks slightly ectropic to me. In the second picture, the sclera (the white part), is more visible than on the right. The lower lid falls away thus exposing the conjunctiva. I have a spaniel that has this and it's not a big problem. It does tend to catch more seeds and debris but nothing serious. I wouldn't be concerned unless you start to notice a purulent discharge or the eye gets progressively more injected.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:31 pm

I wouldn't say that it looks like ectropion. To me it looks like a slight third eyelid eversion. I've seen this in some Weims and in fact know of one who had surgery and was shown then bred :roll:

Eye issues are a pet peeve of mine. I'm seeing an increase in juvenile cataracts and third eyelid/tear duct issues in Weims.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:09 pm

You have received some good advice already. But just so you know the cone degenration is tested through DNA cheek swab. And you would know if they have it by that age as it is very obvious. But that doesn't mean the pup couldn't be a carrier for it if the parents and such were never tested for it.

Wouldn't hurt to have the vet take a look at it. We here in West MI have an eye clinic once a month and it only runs like $30 to have a certified ophthalmologist take a look at the eyes.

Good luck!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP