74%

Total votes: 19

GsPJustin

Innova or Black Gold

Post by GsPJustin » Wed May 10, 2006 2:44 am

Which one do you all like better

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed May 10, 2006 1:26 pm

Holy crap you are switching your dog around like mad. If you keep it up like this you are going get yourself a picky dog. Its not good for them to be switching food every couple months you should stick with the food you are on now. You said he has had no health problem with the food why do you want to switch?

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Wed May 10, 2006 4:35 pm

Not switching, Just curious. Ive seen alot of posts and nice things about it, and if anyone ever asks me i would like to be able to say yes black gold is good. Alot of people prefer it over innova and innova is great... that sort of thing.

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Thu May 11, 2006 11:30 pm

You're much better off actually researching the ingredients and health benefits/lack thereof, as opposed to asking total strangers which one they prefer. That does not really qualify you to, in turn, label something a 'good/great/bad/mediocre food' or recommend it either way to others. Objective research is much more helpful for that.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sun May 14, 2006 11:37 pm

Well I look at it this way. Since im not handing out fliers that say one is better than the other. and everyone on here is a pretty decent person. Ill be comfortable saying that black gold would be a good decision on food to feed there dog. The only time i would say get this over that is if i had a degree in chemical ingredients or something. or if someone asked my opinion. I just want to be able to give people a place to start.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon May 15, 2006 6:22 am

If that is what you want, then just tell them both are good and let them decide which they like better.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sat May 20, 2006 9:31 am

I am currently trying Innova. It is expensive, but I'm getting great results with it. Coat conditions the best I have seen. Actually reduced the quantity fed each day, compared with previous brand.

The one thing that I really noticed this spring is how little shedding there is since I have been on Innova. When grooming the dog, I'm seeing much less loose hair. Night and day difference.....

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat May 20, 2006 10:12 am

Chaingang wrote:I am currently trying Innova. It is expensive, but I'm getting great results with it. Coat conditions the best I have seen. Actually reduced the quantity fed each day, compared with previous brand.

The one thing that I really noticed this spring is how little shedding there is since I have been on Innova. When grooming the dog, I'm seeing much less loose hair. Night and day difference.....
I got my puppy on the puppy formula and like you said I am getting great results. His coat just gleams in the sun.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sun May 21, 2006 8:36 pm

My pup is on Innova large breed puppy, he has been doing great on it but he has been eating 4-5 cups a day and hes 64lbs

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Mon May 22, 2006 5:03 pm

GsPJustin wrote:My pup is on Innova large breed puppy, he has been doing great on it but he has been eating 4-5 cups a day and hes 64lbs
Is that a current pic of him in your Avatar?? How old is he, 64lbs is monstrous for a pup. :naka: Innova is pretty dense food, 4-5 cups is alot, but if he is staying trim he must have some more growing to do. He's going to be one big boy. :D

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon May 22, 2006 5:07 pm

Mine is eating 1 quart daily somtime he eats a quart and a half.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Mon May 22, 2006 8:46 pm

Its kind of recent. Thats 10 1/2 to 11 months somwhere around there. Hes almost 13 months now. But hes still skinny. Not underweight but every skinny.

The lines take atleast 3 years to be fully grown and mature. Both his parents are 25 and 26"++ and 70 and 76+ And the lines are full of big dogs Im not sure if that has any effect but Hes 63.7 lbs today and should probly be about 3-4 lbs heavier

Hes eating 5 cups a day and not gaining anyweight or losing hes been 59- 64 the last months
Last edited by GsPJustin on Mon May 22, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon May 22, 2006 8:47 pm

GsPJustin wrote:Its kind of recent. Thats 10 1/2 to 11 months somwhere around there. Hes almost 13 months now. But hes still skinny. Not underweight but every skinny.

Both his parents are 25"++ and 75+ And the lines are full of big dogs Im not sure if that has any effect but Hes 63.7 lbs today and should probly be about 3-4 lbs heavier

Hes eating 5 cups a day and not gaining anyweight or losing hes been 59- 64 the last months
So why not feed more to increase weight?

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Mon May 22, 2006 8:48 pm

I pretty much put 2-2 1/2 cups in 2 times a day. Usually it keeps him content but if he wants more ill usually throw in some more he lets me know how much he wants.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon May 22, 2006 8:50 pm

GsPJustin wrote:I pretty much put 2-2 1/2 cups in 2 times a day. Usually it keeps him content but if he wants more ill usually throw in some more he lets me know how much he wants.
Ahh ok. Even at 13 months he is still growing give him some time.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Mon May 22, 2006 8:56 pm

Ya it kinda scared me at first. It says the dog will eat less; I was like ummm he’s not!!! I thought maybe he was gorging himself because he liked it but then I remembered he’s "Just A Pup"

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon May 22, 2006 8:58 pm

You have to realize they gear the feeding amounts on those bag for the adverage house dog (back yard play with the kids walk around town) not you sporting dog.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Mon May 22, 2006 9:02 pm

Ya i dont really go by it more than a starting point. Then i Adjust it for him and only him.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 23, 2006 7:18 am

Ryan,

Are you sure that is how they gear those recommendations? I've never heard that and guess I didn't realize their was that much difference between dogs.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue May 23, 2006 11:13 am

ezzy333 wrote:Ryan,

Are you sure that is how they gear those recommendations? I've never heard that and guess I didn't realize their was that much difference between dogs.

Ezzy
I have talked to a few of the Innova reps and that is what they said. They said the bag was geared for the adverage family dog not your high energy hunting or sled dog. One of them said to start with the recomended amounts and add more until the dog gets up to par with weight.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue May 23, 2006 3:59 pm

Those recommendations are basically just a starting point, adjust up or down depending on weight or activity level. You could probably switch him over to adult food now since he is a year old, Not much difference anyway. The big thing to watch out for with a big dog like that who might still be growing some, is to not feed a formula that is over 26% protein. As you are probably well aware of, too much protein causes large breed pups to grow to fast . This could lead to joint problems later in life.

Innova is good feed, but will empty your wallet fast.... :lol:
Last edited by Chaingang on Tue May 23, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue May 23, 2006 4:25 pm

Chaingang wrote: Innova is good feed, but will empty your wallet fast.... :lol:
Tell me about it. At 65 bucks a bag it hurts the wallet. Although it does last a guy a little longer. My setter goes through the same size bag in a month on eukanuba the innova last Diego 1.5 months.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue May 23, 2006 6:03 pm

Ryan wrote:Tell me about it. At 65 bucks a bag it hurts the wallet.
$65 U.S currency :o for 33 lbs :cry: Are you buying it locally? I get Innova large breed adult for $41 including tax for 33 lbs. I guess things are a bit different up in Canada.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue May 23, 2006 6:16 pm

No 65 bucks canadian and 50 or 55 bucks for the adult.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Tue May 23, 2006 7:29 pm

DANG!!! I get it for under 40

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue May 23, 2006 8:04 pm

GsPJustin wrote:DANG!!! I get it for under 40
Shipping on dog food is what kills ya because of the weight they have to truck it and our closest wholsaler of the stuff is in edmonton I beleive 6 hours north.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue May 23, 2006 8:28 pm

GsPJustin wrote:DANG!!! I get it for under 40
I believe the price before tax locally here is $38.99. Good ole Minnesota 6.5% tax.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Those prices give me another reason to feed Diamond. I'm upset because I have to pay 22 for a 40lb bag.

Ezzy

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue May 23, 2006 8:57 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Those prices give me another reason to feed Diamond. I'm upset because I have to pay 22 for a 40lb bag.

Ezzy
I dont mind paying for it. His coat just gleams, he has tons of energy, and keeps him healthy. Although I wont keep him on it once he reaches 18 months I am going to put him on Acana or Nutram.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 23, 2006 9:02 pm

Same with my dogs. Really nice condition and can run forever. I'll bet every one on here have dogs in that same condition as far as nutrition goes. Just wish I could keep up with them.

Ezzy

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Wed May 24, 2006 1:07 am

Well im on some rewards program at a horse feed store that carries dog food and I get it for $39.83 a bag well that was the last price. I guess if you include gas and time it could be 50 55 bucks

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:10 pm

well @ $18 a bag for lamb and rice #40 bag, and $22 for there select #40 bag Black Gold is hard to beat great coats and stools. I fed Diamond for years and switched to Black Gold. Also My father worked for Purina for 23 years and we never fed purina nor will I ever.

Lvrgsp :lol:

shootist

Post by shootist » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:12 pm

Chaingang wrote:The big thing to watch out for with a big dog like that who might still be growing some, is to not feed a formula that is over 26% protein.
I noticed that pro plan large breed puppy, nutro large breed puppy, and black gold puppy all have above 26% protein.