Poison Ivy?

Onk

Poison Ivy?

Post by Onk » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:00 pm

Got my dog back from the trainer and have been enjoying him being home very much, except I think I got poison ivy from him. :( Can this happen? Did not know if I could get it off of his coat after he ran. Everywhere he rubbed against me I have the stuff. Next guestion, anyone have any fast ways of getting rid of it?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Poison Ivy?

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:10 pm

Oh yes you can get it from your dog and animals

If it is real bad Doc can give you a shot dries it up in 24 hours

Or what I have found that will work but you have to follow the directions exactly to a T is Zanfel
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:12 pm

Oh and bath your dog with dawn dish soap and be sure to wear gloves when you do that :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:07 pm

scratch it till it opens up then soak a rag in laquer thinner and apply it to the affected area then follow with at least 2-3oz of cuervo.... the cuervo kills the burn, the thinner dries up the poison Ivy.

JIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:46 pm

Ok thanks for the info. I have not had this crap in years, thanks a bunch Dexter ole boy!

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:49 pm

affected area then follow with at least 2-3oz of cuervo

Do you drink the cuervo or pour it on the poison ivy. :?: :o

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:50 pm

Benadril will help with the itch until you get it dried up. Bathing in salt water or oatmeal bath is good too. That stuff can be torture.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:58 pm

I have done the scratch open and use rubbing alcohol to dry it up. Burns like crazy but works. I have also heard of people using Clorox! Don't know that I'd want that on my skin though.

gsp3333

Post by gsp3333 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:13 pm

The cuervo must be for pouring on it, cause it aint worth drinking. :mrgreen:

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:04 am

I had the rubbing alcohol here at home and tried it out. Seems to help with the itch even, except now its showing up not just on my legs but my neck and eyes! Looks like a trip to the dr.!

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:51 am

Being a ditch digger, I've had poison ivy a lot. I swear some people grow it as an ornamental plant around here. :roll: If you know you've gotten into it, wash with anything that cuts the oil asap, like dish soap, waterless handcleaner, etc. If you don't know you've gotten into it, and therefore dont' wash up, then it's sketchy. We've had little success with anything meant for P.I, and I won't put just anything on my skin, although the itch has made me want to before! A couple years ago, my tax lady suggested apple cider vinegar as something she swore by. It'll sting when applied to the ivy, but seems to dry it up pretty quick, so we keep that on hand now.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:28 am

Apple Cider Vinegar....hmmmm! Just thinking of the first person to figure this one out, itching like crazy running around looking all over the kitchen. I can her them now, " Honey that "bleep" yogart didnt do a "bleep" think to stop the itch! Watch do you think this here vinegar would do?!" :lol: I bet millions of things have been tried and at this point I'm up for trying almost anything. Kitchen here I come! Thanks Wems!

reba

Post by reba » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:49 am

Yes you can get it from your dog.

Forget the rest and buy some Tec-Nu soap.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:01 am

Poison ivy? Man my dogs run out and found a skunk, drug it back home and played with it so all of my pasture is smelly. Cant get downwind from the kennels, makes my eyes water.....

Poison oak is another your dog can get into and transmit to you.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:44 am

I guess being ammune to the stuff is a plus!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Although I do feel sorry for you all. But I have heard the clorox thing to.

I was working dogs and my dog pointed a quail in the bushes. Ivy everywhere! I reached down and picked the bird up and handed it to my friend that was training with me. With the warning that I had just plucked it out of ivy. He took it anyways.
I saw him 3 days later and he had what looked like road rash all over his face! He got ivy and rubbed it open and put bleech on it. Well it was obviouse it was trying up, but I wouldnt suggest putting it on your face. He didnt seem to care, but it look terrible!
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

walt501

Post by walt501 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:39 pm

I spent a good deal of my summer as a youth suffering from poison ivy, including a week in the hospital. As a result, I can usually spot the stuff from quite a distance. Generally speaking, poison Ivy likes well drained soil that gets full sunlight during the day. Sandy and gravel on the south side of a hill makes for excellent poison ivy growing conditions. If at all possible, try to run your dog in more shaded areas with heavy soils to reduce your exposure. If you want to make sure you don't have further contact with the oil the plant produces that causes the outbreaks, you'll have to change clothes and shower with a heavy grease cutting soap after each outing with your dog as well as washing the dog. One more thing to keep in mind is that even as the plants die as fall and winter approach, the oil still remains on the withered plants. You can even get poison ivy from digging up the frozen roots of the plant in winter. Also, there is no such thing as immunity to poison ivy, some people just have more tolerance to it than others. Repeated exposure will eventually wear down that tolerance and you'll break out with the rash. Do a search for poison ivy on the interwebs and learn to recognize it to know when your dog is in it or to avoid it in the future. Hope this helps.

TVW

Post by TVW » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:40 pm

kninebirddog wrote: Or what I have found that will work but you have to follow the directions exactly to a T is Zanfel
I had Poison Ivy badly and Zanfel got rid of it in a few days. Great stuff.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:31 am

Early in my career, I was a wildland fire fighter. On a fire in central California we had a whole crew from Kentucky sidelined when they got downwind of a large patch of burning poison oak. Those guy had it all over their bodies and some even had infected eyes, and lungs. Real bad situation.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:00 pm

fishvik wrote:Early in my career, I was a wildland fire fighter. On a fire in central California we had a whole crew from Kentucky sidelined when they got downwind of a large patch of burning poison oak. Those guy had it all over their bodies and some even had infected eyes, and lungs. Real bad situation.

My first time I got it so bad it required a shot to get over it ..one of the workers I was working with clearing a line for some fences to be put up had no idea about poison Oak and before we could yell out fast enough for him to stop he sent a bunch of vines through a shredder we were down wind of...We all had to go in for shots it was that bad

Burning ..... OMG I can only imagine how bad that was ... :cry: