fake pregnancy

media310

fake pregnancy

Post by media310 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:57 am

Any advise on this? Vet noticed it the other day. She has been swollen for months..

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: fake pregnancy

Post by Karen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:04 pm

If she's been like this for months, it'll pass soon. Bitches carry for around 64 days, so count approximately 75 days from when she came into season, and that's when the false pregnancy should subside.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

hunterw/newhobby

Post by hunterw/newhobby » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:17 pm

I have had two bird dogs with false pregnancies. The first one was pretty bad and the most recent wasn't too bad. Both dogs got a little possesive of weird items (toys, blankets, food bowls, etc.) that they normally wouldn't care about. Basically they went weird for a while. My GSP didn't get as bad as the Brittany but she lost a lot of desire to hunt/train. Give her some time to get over it and understand hormones can be a little nutty and she'll be back to normal soon.
Ross

media310

Post by media310 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks team, I was wondering did I do something wrong to bring this on? Or is it more of genetic breed thing? She has been acting really kooky!!

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:13 pm

My vet said it's quite common and not genetic. My dog went through this a couple months ago. She wasn't fat, but her mammaries were definitely puffy. Like Karen said, after the due date came and went, she just gradually got less puffy until she was back to normal. That was my girls 2nd cycle, with the first being normal. My vet says she might have FPs from here on out or she may be normal as well. It's just something that happens.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Mine has false pregs, right on thru to having pups and making milk for 4 to 6 weeks. She hordes and nests as well....the full kit and kaboodle :D
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:43 pm

a friend of mine when her Bull mastiff has false pregnancies she gives her parley tea on her food and claims it gets her to dry up much faster
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

anb

Post by anb » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:43 am

My girl usually get them on every cycle now. She usually just acts different - sometimes unresponsive to commands and training, in which case we don't hunt or track; sometimes she just seems a little scared and unsure of herself. One time it was so bad that she had morning sickness, i swear every time she ate she would throw up and I couldn't find anything related except or the false prego. We used a homeopathic pulsatilla and this really helped with the vomiting (although different remedies would be used for different symptoms and personalities!)
I wonder if the false pregnancy is a normal thing - maybe a sign of fertility or good mothering ability? Any other ideas?

Andi

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:16 pm

A couple different vets told me, and i could have the terminology off a bit, that if they continue things like uterine cysts can be the or a issue.....I know i was told more but i can't recall. I am going in for a visit soon so i will ask about it. If mines continues much more I am probably going to go ahead and have her fixed.

Maybe Dog Dr or someone else has pertinent info...
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:37 am

I had a foster that had false pregnancy when I got her. I looked into it a little bit and found that reducing her feed helped her to "dry up" as recommended by my vet. She was spayed AFTER the false pregnancy was cleared up....they recommend not spaying until the dog is all cleared up, but that spaying is recommended in order to decrease the chances of false pregnancies in the future. Face it, these girls are just a pain in the patootie.