Lymes shot problems?

IAhunter

Lymes shot problems?

Post by IAhunter » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:25 pm

My 5 month old setter just had his second round of lymes last wed and that night he vomited in his crate and now has had really loose bowel since. Any thoughts I gave him some pepto today see if that helps otherwise guess i will take him in and see what they say. Thanks in advance oh and nothing else has changed in his our routine.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Lymes shot problems?

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Don't think there is anything real odd about the dogs reaction to the shot. Will probably take a day or two to get over it. Lymes is a shot that some dogs have reactons to from what I have read.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:11 pm

Its up to you and your vet but the Lyme vaccination is just not worth it. Ask your Dr. but I would avoid giving it again.

Red

Post by Red » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:06 pm

Its up to you and your vet but the Lyme vaccination is just not worth it. Ask your Dr
I have and she urged me to give to the pup since we hunt??

May I ask why you think it's nor worth it? I know someone who just lost his dog because of Lyme....
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

IAhunter

Post by IAhunter » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:15 pm

I also asked she recommended it as they have had quite a few dogs test positive this yr and its just he two shots. This was his last one she said it was kind of strange for him to have loose bowel usually not what she sees from the lymes im not to worried as it has only been 4 days but just wondering if anyone has had the same experience. And yes why do you think it is a waste i have a friends female that got lymes she got over it but hasnt been the same since.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:37 pm

I have had dogs test positive their first vet visits....I don't bother with the vaccine, Ive got 5 dogs that all test positive. I think some of these newer. younger, city type vets just over prescribe all the way around.

I treat symptoms with rounds of doxy and I am very attentive when it comes to spotting symptoms and getting quick treatment. Symptoms can include joint pain, lameness, back or what appears to be hip pain or going off feed......Ive not heard of dogs passing with no apparent symptoms.....

I'd say if you had a friends dog die from Lyme complications that the symptoms where not spotted/realized and or the vet dropped the ball on treating.....If you see signs a round of doxy is very very cheap. How/Under what circumstance did the dog die? Not trying to nitpick but it would be interesting and educational to hear the full story.

My 2 cents, FWIW.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:53 pm

My vet insists on Lyme Disease shots. Southern Western Ontario is thick with deer tick. I definately believe it is worth it.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:15 pm

birddog1968 wrote:I have had dogs test positive their first vet visits....I don't bother with the vaccine, Ive got 5 dogs that all test positive. I think some of these newer. younger, city type vets just over prescribe all the way around.

I treat symptoms with rounds of doxy and I am very attentive when it comes to spotting symptoms and getting quick treatment. Symptoms can include joint pain, lameness, back or what appears to be hip pain or going off feed......Ive not heard of dogs passing with no apparent symptoms.....

I'd say if you had a friends dog die from Lyme complications that the symptoms where not spotted/realized and or the vet dropped the ball on treating.....If you see signs a round of doxy is very very cheap. How/Under what circumstance did the dog die? Not trying to nitpick but it would be interesting and educational to hear the full story.

My 2 cents, FWIW.....
Do some research on the vaccine. It won't take you long to decide whether the risk is worth it or not. It has been shown that the OspA vaccine can result in autoimmune diseases. Wasn't it pulled off the market for humans because of this? I live in the worst part of the country for Lyme transmission and Vets here are not impressed with the vaccines at all, considering that only about 3% infected dogs actually come down with it and are fixed up with a course of meds. Even many dogs that show symptoms actually fight the infection on their own. Personally, I think the vaccine is a scam.

You would believe that experts are not even sure if dogs contract Lyme at all?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:57 pm

Where did i endorse the vaccine? I believe i said i don't and won't use it.......dunno if its a scam but in my eyes its useless.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:15 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Where did i endorse the vaccine? I believe i said i don't and won't use it.......dunno if its a scam but in my eyes its useless.
You didn't I am on your side. I just used your quote because it covered the bases. I was addressing the OP.

I would get a second opinion on whether you should give the vaccine again. apart from the utility of it.

IAhunter

Post by IAhunter » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:12 pm

He wont need the vaccine again as it is just two rounds and my vet is not anywhere near a "city" Towny vet by any stretch but was just curious as i said if anyone else had similar experience wasn't asking if it was good or bad to each there own am not endorsing or taking away from vaccine just curious and i probably could have went without but figured why not have a little extra piece of mind we have deer ticks everywhere here in the midwest

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:42 pm

IAhunter wrote:He wont need the vaccine again as it is just two rounds and my vet is not anywhere near a "city" Towny vet by any stretch but was just curious as i said if anyone else had similar experience wasn't asking if it was good or bad to each there own am not endorsing or taking away from vaccine just curious and i probably could have went without but figured why not have a little extra piece of mind we have deer ticks everywhere here in the midwest
That vaccine is given every year.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:13 pm

This page and map may ease your mind or make you worry more.....It's always good to have info on these kinds of threads for people searching later.....

http://www.aldf.com/usmap.shtml

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

IAhunter

Post by IAhunter » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Yeah upon further research i do believe this will be the last lymes shot they get as it sounds like it is pretty easily treated and not near as severe as the other things ticks carry thanks for the info on that now hopefully this pepto gets his bowel back in order. I should have done some more research but as i said the guy i got my one pup from had his female get it and said she hasnt been the same suggested it as did the vet..but i do agree that it is not all its cracked up to be for sure from the sounds of it

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:34 pm

They sure do handle it differently than people, Lyme bout killed me couple years ago.

It surely isn't something to mess with in dogs either....especially if they are showing unexplained symptoms.
Mine all went off feed so it was pretty important to get on top of it quickly.

Good Luck with pup.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno