fiber content/puppy feeding

nanney1

fiber content/puppy feeding

Post by nanney1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:23 am

Maybe a little off the wall with this one but who knows...... Adult dogs are eating an all life stages food that has a fairly high fiber content and produces a large stool content and volume. Since they are outdoors most of the time, it isn't an issue. The stool is always well formed, firm, and never loose. It is easy to remove and if left in the yard will dry up and disintegrate in a few days. They do well on the food, eat it readily, look good, etc...

New puppy came to us on puppy food from the breeder. While it's a good food, it is way overpriced and I intended to switch over as I was running out of what they gave me. As to be expected, the pup is interested in the adults food, and since it's all life stages, I've started mixing it in with the puppy food I was given.

What I'm seeing is that the pup is now having larger stools and going more often. She was able to hold it through the night on the puppy food but since I've added in the higher fiber food the adults are eating, she now goes potty in her crate. She will be an indoor dog and crate trained.

While it would be nice if they were all eating the same food, I'm thinking I should switch the pup over to a lower fiber, more digestible, "lower residue" food to assist with the housebreaking/crate training aspect. Does this make any sense or am I making something out of nothing?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: fiber content/puppy feeding

Post by mcbosco » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:28 am

What is the food in question? Most foods are 3-4% fiber, rarely much above or below.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:30 am

River Run 27/12 Fiber 4.5%

Perhaps it's more an issue of digestibility than fiber.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:49 am

Swith to a food with more fat which will allow you to feed less volume and still maintain energy etc. An All Age would be appropriate, but a different one.
big steve

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:25 am

nanney1 wrote:River Run 27/12 Fiber 4.5%

Perhaps it's more an issue of digestibility than fiber.
Probably or the amount being fed, 12% is pretty low fat for a pup of a medium breed. This was the food you said was overpriced? This food is a lot cheaper than Loyall (same maker) and Loyall is 50 cents - 75 cents lb.

Any cheaper than Loyall and you will wind up spending more and picking up way. Probably not worth spending less than Loyall.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:48 am

Is the pup going No. 2 or wetting the crate? Just wanting to be sure what you are experiencing. There shouldn't be any difference with wetting and I have never had a pup, no matter what it was fed, that had to go in the crate at night. If that is what you are experiencing then don't feed much after 3 or 4 in the afternoon. There is no need to change foods but just adjust your schedule and the amount being fed later in the day.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:55 am

mcbosco: No, the puppy food from the breeder is the expensive ($1.40 per lb) food. The River Run is not expensive.

Ezzy: I guess the reason I looked at the food was because when she was only being fed the puppy food, she was not going in the crate (no. 2) overnight. Once I started adding in the adult's food was when she started going in the crate. So, naturally, I thought of the food which produces greater bulk and volume in my adult dogs.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:04 am

nanney1 wrote:mcbosco: No, the puppy food from the breeder is the expensive ($1.40 per lb) food. The River Run is not expensive.

Ezzy: I guess the reason I looked at the food was because when she was only being fed the puppy food, she was not going in the crate (no. 2) overnight. Once I started adding in the adult's food was when she started going in the crate. So, naturally, I thought of the food which produces greater bulk and volume in my adult dogs.
The greater volume is largely because they eat more and not because of higher fiber though that would make a difference but with the amount a dog eats it is almost miniscule. I would just cut back the feed later in the day for a while and see if that doesn't do it. I just am having trouble thinking it is the different feed but it does seem it has something to do with it. Cut back for a while and if that solves it then you can very gradually increase again. Bet that will take care of it.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Your feeding River Run High Pro with NO Soy 27/12. The Professsional is 27/18 and has 3.5 fib er. Also the Professional uses Beet Pulp which I believe helps make smaller stools. The question is does the High-Pro have beet pulp in it?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:59 pm

Beet pulp is one of the very few fiber sources the dog can digest. It is excellent to promote intestinal health in the dog.

Ezzy

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:10 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
nanney1 wrote:mcbosco: No, the puppy food from the breeder is the expensive ($1.40 per lb) food. The River Run is not expensive.

The greater volume is largely because they eat more and not because of higher fiber though that would make a difference but with the amount a dog eats it is almost miniscule. I would just cut back the feed later in the day for a while and see if that doesn't do it. I just am having trouble thinking it is the different feed but it does seem it has something to do with it. Cut back for a while and if that solves it then you can very gradually increase again. Bet that will take care of it.

Ezzy
Some dogs just don't tolerate some foods well. I had a similar issue with one of my EPs when I got a bag of Diamond Naturals Small Breed Puppy. Changed foods, problem disappeared.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:34 am

4.5% fiber is very high, especially if it is comprised of non soluble fiber sources which I bet this food has. This is how someone can take poor ingredients and make it seem like they are not. Foods are priced low for a reason-it ain't because they like you.

You have proved the point with your puppy with out even realizing it. If you were overfeeding the dog would have soft stools.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:16 am

Tried multiple suggestions and made it through the night last night. Switched to a higher protein/fat/kcal - lower fiber food. Backed up the last feeding time. Took her out again late, and got her out again early this morning. She was able to last 5 hours and 45 minutes overnight which seems reasonable for a 10 week old puppy.

I know she may not make it every night, but it's a start. Thanks for all the suggestions.