mange

SCOTT HILDERBRAND

mange

Post by SCOTT HILDERBRAND » Wed May 17, 2006 9:33 am

My GSP female has been diagnosed with the genetic type of mange (6 1/2 months old). I am giving her the medicine my vet gave me .

My question is, will she continually break out or once i treat it will it be done?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed May 17, 2006 9:41 am

depends on her immune system but most of the time it does cure it
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Wed May 17, 2006 10:15 am

Scott,

Demodex can be brought on by a number of factors. If she has recently had shots, depending upon the shots given, they may compromise the immune system and cause an outbreak. Too much general stress to the dog, ie. heavy training, being left in a strange place while you were on vacation, etc... can also cause stress on the immune system and allow for an outbreak of Demodex. What it boils down to is: her immune system has been stressed in any number of ways and this has allowed the Demodex Mite to get an upper hand against her immune system. Depending on how bad the condition is, it is often recommended that you not treat a pup on an initial outbreak and see if her immune system picks up and beats it, if it does, reoccurence is often not an issue. Should her immune system not pick up and get the mite under control, treatment becomes mandatory, the pup should be spayed/neutered and the breeder at any rate should be notified as it should affect their future breeding plans. There is alot of info out there on the web concerning Demodex. I'm guessing you were given Ivomec?? or are they doing the dip??

I had 1 pup in 30, out of 3 different litters from a repeat breeding come up with Demodex and started doing alot of research, as I feared it was genetic going back to my Sire or Dam. After much research the owner and I determined that he was putting too much training stress on her. When he stopped training, she cleared up on her own. He had started training hard at 3 mo.s and by 6 mo.s had her on a level that many hunters would have been tickled with. He backed off and let her grow up a few months before doing any further training with her and she has not had a reoccurence since and she is now 15 months old.

Hope this gives you some food for thought...
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

SCOTT HILDERBRAND

Post by SCOTT HILDERBRAND » Wed May 17, 2006 11:01 am

Thanks Guys.
I am going to call the breeder and tell him but i don't think he would care. I think that I bought a dog from an unreputable breeder. However, she has been easy to train and is very promising. Wouldn't take nothing for her!

ViniferaVizslas

Post by ViniferaVizslas » Wed May 17, 2006 3:03 pm

Bruce's response is excellent. My first pup developed demodex when we moved to a new house and changed his diet. He looked terrible but with the help of a topical treatment he grew his hair back in a couple months. It's not an uncommon puppy problem.