Should i be feeding my Britt anything else

rm9802

Should i be feeding my Britt anything else

Post by rm9802 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:37 am

Hello just wondering what else i should be feeding my almost 1 yr old britt...right now she gets a cup and a half of diamond sporting dog in the am and a cup and a hlf in the late afternoon. I try and lay off the table food also...i only ask because i saw a breeders video feeding his dogs a mix of dry food and a can of canned food...with some cottage cheese mixed in as well...thanks

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: Should i be feeding my Britt anything else

Post by Karen » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:52 am

I feed all of mine dry food only.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:02 am

I only feed dry. Once in the a.m and once in the p.m..If you are feeding a quality food you don't need to add other things. Canned food is not so good for the teeth either.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:31 pm

A quality dry food is fine. I feed mine occasional scraps to help fatten them up, and just because I'm a softy sometimes, but they don't get anything but dry kibble on a regular basis.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:12 am

First I have a question.... What is Diamond Sporting Dog food?

To answer your question, feeding your dog just dry food is just fine. Many old time breeders use canned food to get dogs to eat the food more quickly. I believe long ago adding cottage cheese may have been to increase the calcum level and taset too.

I have known large boarding kennel owers to mix 2 large cans of Kal Can or Pedegree canned meat with warm water to 40#'s of dry food in a bath tub at feeding time. All for better feeding efficiency.

If your dog keeps the proper weight on during the hunting season eating a reasonable amount of dry food each meal then your food is working well for your dog. If not then the food needs to change to maybe higher protein/fat or higher quality food. Adding a food supplement for better digestion or added protein/fat can help a lot too. Many products to choose from today.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:56 am

Get your wife or GF to bake an angel food cake every week and ask her to save the egg yolks for you.