Puppy Feeding Question

proudag08

Puppy Feeding Question

Post by proudag08 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:13 pm

What feed did your pup end up eating as a pup?? I'm just looking for the name. I'm sure if you fed your pup this feed you like it. I was just seeing what the majority of you knowledgable people fed your pup. Also, how many cups? (I assume we are talking a "solo" cup or some other handy scooper... or are we talking an actual measured cup?)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy Feeding Question

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:18 pm

Pro Plan adult food, 3 cups a day at 3 different times, until he appears to only need 2 cups.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:20 pm

A cup is an actual eight fluid ounces measuring cup. Not a Solo cup, not a coffee cup and not an empty Spaghetti-Os can - a measuring cup. After five weeks I free feed what they will clean up in ten minutes twice a day. I only feed puppy formula for a couple of weeks, then go to an all life stage kibble.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:25 pm

Proudag08,

What does the breeder recommend? What were the pups weaned onto for puppy food? I would stick with that brand/formula for a while untill you change to a different brand or formula. I prefer Canidae All Life Stage through the growth period. I also use PROZYME supplement.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:27 pm

Diamond Naturals EA and/or Diamond Naturals Chix and rice.

How much i fed is variable, i look at pup and condition/growth and feed accordingly. I can never recall exactly cause each pup is treated differently.
I only ever feed twice a day tho....smaller amount in the morning (maybe a cup) then a larger meal in the late afternoon/evening.
Last edited by birddog1968 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:28 pm

Cajun Casey wrote: After five weeks I free feed what they will clean up in ten minutes twice a day.
My last pup coulda ate a 40 lbs bag in 10 minutes :lol:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:03 pm

birddog1968 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote: After five weeks I free feed what they will clean up in ten minutes twice a day.
My last pup coulda ate a 40 lbs bag in 10 minutes :lol:
+1
that's how mine got the nickname piggy :lol:

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:33 pm

MikeB wrote:Proudag08,

What does the breeder recommend? What were the pups weaned onto for puppy food? I would stick with that brand/formula for a while untill you change to a different brand or formula. I prefer Canidae All Life Stage through the growth period. I also use PROZYME supplement.

I talked to the breeder this afternoon and he already has them on adult food. He is giving me 1/4 of a bag to mix in with whatever I choose to go with for my pup... I've been thinking about Diamond foods. That seems to be the next most popular after purina pro plan... Thoughts?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:43 pm

I feed Diamond Premium as my base food and put the skinny boys on ProPlan Performance periodically. My two money pit mutts eat SportMix, but I don't know which formula. They all do fine. Food doesn't make a lot of difference on most dogs.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

JuliaH

Post by JuliaH » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:15 am

Pro Plan Performance. I use a measuring cup for adults, but pups can eat free choice while little and then 3-4 cups each meal while growing up until adult. All my dogs eat same food, just regulate amount and always use regular measuring cup. :)
proudag08 wrote:What feed did your pup end up eating as a pup?? I'm just looking for the name. I'm sure if you fed your pup this feed you like it. I was just seeing what the majority of you knowledgable people fed your pup. Also, how many cups? (I assume we are talking a "solo" cup or some other handy scooper... or are we talking an actual measured cup?)
Last edited by JuliaH on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl & Julia Heidbrink
Buggytown Bird Dogs
Central Georgia

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:16 am

proudag08 wrote:
MikeB wrote:Proudag08,

I talked to the breeder this afternoon and he already has them on adult food. He is giving me 1/4 of a bag to mix in with whatever I choose to go with for my pup... I've been thinking about Diamond foods. That seems to be the next most popular after purina pro plan... Thoughts?
Check out Victor. That is a Texas-based company. My brother is in Dallas and has three on it. He and a group of guys at the office do a pallet purchase from time to time. It is about the same price as Diamond and has some interesting choices.

Precise is another Texas-based company that makes a nice food. It might be a very a good deal locally.

As MikeB, Canidae is a solid choice and comes in a heavily discounted 44lb bag for less than $1lb.

As for amounts, I have always fed as much as the pup wanted until it was just full. 3 times a day for the first 3-4 months. Then you can go by the weight of the dog and start to come up with a measured amount. I don't think restricting food and pretending to know what the dog need in the early months is a good idea, they grow too fast to stick with a measurement.

If you can locate some raw goats milk that would be a great thing to moisten the kibble of a young pup and introduce some bacteria to the gut.

One of the moderators is famous for saying the dog knows best, so I say let the pup eat. You will know when it is beginning to get full.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:04 pm

Proudag08.

What brand was that adult food. You didn't say. Did the breeder tell you? If it is something you can get in your local area I would stay with it. Your pup doesn't need high protein/fat puppy food so just stick with the adult food. In my opinion adult foods that are using Chicken "Meal" or other protein "meals" like fish, turkey, lamb. are best.

No reason to stress you pup with a food change when you get it if the adult food is high quality. Your pup will be stressed enough leaving the litter.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:58 pm

MikeB wrote:Proudag08.

What brand was that adult food. You didn't say. Did the breeder tell you? If it is something you can get in your local area I would stay with it. Your pup doesn't need high protein/fat puppy food so just stick with the adult food. In my opinion adult foods that are using Chicken "Meal" or other protein "meals" like fish, turkey, lamb. are best.

No reason to stress you pup with a food change when you get it if the adult food is high quality. Your pup will be stressed enough leaving the litter.
MikeB,

Thanks for all your help! The breeder is feeding Hi-Tech (I think that's how you spell it) and the pups look great and their stools are great too! I'll definitely ease him onto another adult feed slowly! Again, thanks for all your help!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:21 pm

Is Hi-TeK not available by you? Why switch?

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:22 pm

I haven't seen it in the feed store here, TSC, or Persmart... I think the breeder orders his...

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Everyone has different opinions about dog food. The wisest tips I have received are to find a food that your dog likes, does well on, and that is readily available in your area.
I have fed Purina Pro Plan Performance for years. From the time the pup is weaned til they pass away. I feed pups twice a day, but have never used exact measurements. Some pups eat more than others.
Glad you finally have that pup.......and hope you enjoy many years in the field together! :D

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:50 pm

Pup is on Diamond Puppy, 3 cups a day. Probably keep her on that until about 6 months then switch to Diamond Performance like my Lab.