Exercise intolerance?

Calisdad

Exercise intolerance?

Post by Calisdad » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:35 pm

Trying to sort out why my almost 3yo springer is so tired after a hunt. Just had a full blood panel done and he is 'a picture of health'. Waiting for a PFK test result. Did start enzyme supplements a week to 10 days ago with minor improvement. One of the problems is he can't put on any body fat. He does get plenty of exercise and high quality food.

He was bitten by a rattlesnake a year and a half ago, wonder if its a factor though tests say otherwise. Any ideas?

Thanks

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Exercise intolerance?

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Wonder if rattlesnake bite had any affect on lungs or heart muscle.......

Ive got dogs with near zero body fat....thats not an issue it seems.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

helpful_cub

Post by helpful_cub » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:48 am

Does he recover quickly afterword or is basically a tired ball of fur for a couple of days?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:27 am

Liver enyzmes ok?

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:53 am

The desire is there but he just sleeps alot. After the snake bite we tested liver and kidneys but never did a heart stress test. We hunted the weekend and he slept most of yesterday.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:03 am

Probably just out of shape, regular exercise is good but doesn't do much for building endurance. Two different things entirely.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:23 am

All the bloodwork came back great. Nothing even close to marginal. He gets run at least twice a day and swims every day in summer. We live in the mountains so he gets lots of hill work. His younger brother has 10 pounds on him and doesn't have this issue.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:48 am

and nothing that would suggest a heart problem like coughing at night, wheezing, etc???

any chance of a back injury?

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:34 am

Never a cough and no sign of pain. Heck, he can jump 14' from a standing position across our pool. I just don't think he's getting the full benefit of his food, hence the PFK test. I can't find anything about organ damage from snakebite. His liver and kidneys check out so that indicates they weren't damaged. He did get antivenin an hour after the bite and was released that day but it was very traumatic.
Last edited by Calisdad on Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:04 pm

Calisdad wrote:The desire is there but he just sleeps alot. After the snake bite we tested liver and kidneys but never did a heart stress test. We hunted the weekend and he slept most of yesterday.
What are you feeding your dog?

I may have missed it in your post but is the concern only for when he returns home from a weekend of hunting? Most dogs sleep the next day.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:10 pm

Sharon wrote: What are you feeding your dog?

I may have missed it in your post but is the concern only for when he returns home from a weekend of hunting? Most dogs sleep the next day.
At the risk of turning this into a dog food thread I'll say Taste of the Wild- Wetlands. He liked it better than Wellness Core but I'm going to see if Instinct is any improvement as I like to mix it up every 4 to 6 months. I like the idea of Orijen but it just produced some foul smelling poo. I started supplementing with enzymes and probiotics and did see some improvement in that he didn't lay down during a hunt break. We do hunt rough country but sleeping all day after a 2 hour hunt for a dog that isn't yet 3 is a sign something is wrong. Hopefully I'm wrong and he's just fine but I think something isn't quite right.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:05 pm

Calisdad wrote:
Sharon wrote: What are you feeding your dog?

At the risk of turning this into a dog food thread I'll say Taste of the Wild- Wetlands. He liked it better than Wellness Core but I'm going to see if Instinct is any improvement as I like to mix it up every 4 to 6 months. I like the idea of Orijen but it just produced some foul smelling poo. I started supplementing with enzymes and probiotics and did see some improvement in that he didn't lay down during a hunt break. We do hunt rough country but sleeping all day after a 2 hour hunt for a dog that isn't yet 3 is a sign something is wrong. Hopefully I'm wrong and he's just fine but I think something isn't quite right.
Wouldn't a PFK dog have a low red count?

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:46 pm

While there may be abnormalities in red blood cells I'm not sure there would be a low RBC count.

From another site:

Phosphofructokinase (PFK) is a major regulatory enzyme found in all cells of the body, which catalyses (stimulates by means of a chemical reaction) the metabolism (conversion) of sugar into energy to maintain normal cell function.
PFK deficiency is an enzyme storage disease which causes abnormalities in red blood cells and muscle cells.
It is inherited in English Springer Spaniels through a single autosomal recessive trait.

After hunting Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning, Trap slept the rest of Monday and Tuesday. We went for a half hour walk this morning and he splet some more. His brother on the other hand slept about a quarter of the time.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:20 pm

Might try a little of this on his food if you think he might be a little anemic.

http://www.farnamhorse.com/pdf_label/Ca ... ll_all.pdf

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Jakeismydog2

Post by Jakeismydog2 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:35 pm

I do not assume this is of any help... but I have Excercise Intolerance myself :wink:

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi Guys-
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to chime in to tell what I've found and maybe help someone else.

During a routine exam 3 or 4 months ago our vet tested for tick bourne diseases. I don't know the name of the test but blood is drawn and a strip tests for about 5 issues. Well, Trap tested positive for anaplasma, a tick bourne disease that affects red blood cells. The good news is that after 30 days of antibiotics he's quite active again. Just in time for fall season.

regards-
Calisdad

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:44 am

Congrats for finally finding out what was bothering your dog, that would have to be bothersome knowing something was wrong and not getting anywhere.

Corry

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:17 am

Thanks Corry-

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:23 pm

[Deleted as I hadn't read far enough back in the thread and gave a stupid answer.] :roll:
Last edited by Sharon on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:39 pm

Sharon to a point it is. I used to joke that if I hunted my dogs on Sunday they would sleep until Tuesday. The problem I was seeing is after a nonstrenuous 2 hour hunt he would sleep for a day plus. I was glad to have found SOMETHING and now the difference is night and day. If someone can make use of the information great- if not no harm done. I compete my boys in timed events. I'd be reluctant to do so not knowing they were 100%.

regards-
C-dad