Aural Hematoma

nanney1

Aural Hematoma

Post by nanney1 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:32 pm

One of my dogs has a puffy inner ear flap. Based on what I've read online this is an aural hematoma. I've read a bit online and am unsure what course of action, if any, to take at this point.

Has anyone dealt with this? If so, what did you do, and if applicable, what would you do differently if you had to do it over again.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Aural Hematoma

Post by mcbosco » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:37 pm

A friend of mine had a basset that got its ear slammed in a cabinet draw and that happened. It had to be opened up and drained.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:06 pm

"Aural hematomas (swollen ear flaps) are a moderately common condition in dogs but less prevalent in cats. The cause behind hematomas is not exactly known, but it is linked to excessive flapping of the ears. Thus breeds that have long ears are more susceptible to the condition.

A hematoma is a swelling caused by a ruptured blood vessel after bleeding has occurred inside a tissue. Aural hematoma occurs when a blood vessel within the ear flap breaks, and the ear flap swells with blood. The swelling can be partial or complete and in severe conditions may even block the ear canal totally. The ear flap can fluctuate, appear like a balloon and result in a significant change in the carriage of the ear.

Untreated hematomas may heal without any treatment over a period of time. However, this option is preferred only in cases where the dog cannot be given an anesthesia. Left alone, an aural hematoma can disfigure the ears giving them a shape that is commonly known as ‘cauliflower’ ears.

Treatment options for aural hematomas include a simple aspiration, pie-crusting sutures and placement of a teat cannula. Aspiration involves draining of the fluid with a syringe. This only serves a temporary purpose as the space vacated by the fluid is easily filled by another spurt of blood or fluid.

The other two modes of treatment that are relatively more permanent involve minor surgeries and are recommended procedures for treating aural hematomas. A surgical incision is made in the ear flap and the fluid, blood and blood clots are removed. The incision is then sealed with sutures to prevent refilling of the hematoma."

...copied from a vet site I frequent.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:52 pm

My older GSP (no longer with me) had this and I opted to not have the surgery. I had the vet drain it but the cavity ended up partially filling again and was told it would likely go down on it's own. I just let it be and sure enough it went down on it's own. Never had a problem with it again, but left the ear with a somewhat cauliflower look to it.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:21 am

Chaingang wrote:My older GSP (no longer with me) had this and I opted to not have the surgery. I had the vet drain it but the cavity ended up partially filling again and was told it would likely go down on it's own. I just let it be and sure enough it went down on it's own. Never had a problem with it again, but left the ear with a somewhat cauliflower look to it.
I would take this approach unless it gets worse. You may also want to flip it up and vet wrap it to the dog's head to prevent it's flapping. Ear flapping can make it worse.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:05 am

I've got an appointment this afternoon to have the ear drained. Drainage is $15, surgery is $175 + another $80 for anesthesia. So, it's worth a try for the cost difference.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:14 am

Aspirated yesterday. No big deal. The Vet told us in most cases it will fill back up, and as of this morning, it seems to be heading that way. Will continue to monitor.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:05 am

Is the ear taped/wrapped to the dog's head?
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:46 pm

No, but we can give it a try. Although, she isn't shaking her head.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:17 pm

nanney1 wrote:No, but we can give it a try. Although, she isn't shaking her head.
Flip the ear up and tape it to the top of her head. Gravity can make the blood pool in the leather when there is a hematoma.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:35 pm

CherrystoneWeims wrote:
nanney1 wrote:No, but we can give it a try. Although, she isn't shaking her head.
Flip the ear up and tape it to the top of her head. Gravity can make the blood pool in the leather when there is a hematoma.
x a dozen

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:34 pm

nanney1 wrote:Aspirated yesterday. No big deal. The Vet told us in most cases it will fill back up, and as of this morning, it seems to be heading that way. Will continue to monitor.
Eventually it will go down on it's own. The only real downside is you'll probably end up with a cauliflower ear that looks a bit odd, but as long as the ear canal isn't partially blocked it's only cosmetic and I doubt the dog will care either way.