dog with stiff neck

mister2

dog with stiff neck

Post by mister2 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:59 am

I think my 9.5 month old GSP may have an issue. Sunday night he threw up in the house. Monday night while feeding him he would get his face within 6-8 inches of his bowl, whine, paw at it, then he would walk away. At first I thought he just wasn't interested in eating. He did this 3-4 passes and then I finally picked up his bowl and placed it on the stairs and he came over and ate it. I knew there was definitely a problem when I put a pheasant wing on the floor and he just stood there and pawed at it and whined. My wife takes him to the kids bus stop also and noticed on Monday that everytime he went to walk on the grass he would whine. This morning he almost didn't want to get out of his kennel. His gait was not as smooth as normal, it's somewhat stiff. I Googled these conditions and it came up with Meningitis so I'm in panic mode. I will take him to the vet but was wondering if anyone here has ever experienced similar with their pets and what the outcome was.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: dog with stiff neck

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:20 am

I've never seen that in a dog. Let us know what the vet says.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:57 pm

My older dogs has a similar issue every now and again. She tweaks her neck, mostly when digging for voles. I will find her with her head/neck down. I can feel the knot on the right side of the neck. I give her anti-inflammatories and pain meds and she is usually better a couple hrs later. Has happened about 4 times this yr.

I would go to vet and see if you can figure out what is causing it and how to treat it if it happens again.

Good luck.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:33 pm

Similar to the symptoms of tetanus, which I have had two dogs die from.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:53 pm

My sister's GSP (year old) is recovering from meningitis... it was horrible, he couldn't even go outside on his own, any movement of the neck was excruciating. He was diagnosed from a blood draw or spinal fluid - I don't know which. High white cell count. He was in really, really bad shape for several days, but now, about 2 weeks later, he is doing GREAT. Hunting even. He's on antibiotics still and prednisone and tramadol.

mister2

Post by mister2 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:12 am

He's back to normal so I'm not worried anymore. Probably just strained it from playing too hard or something. Thanks.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:28 pm

mister2, glad to hear he's back to normal today...keep your youngster in very close check the next few weeks. Symptoms for conditions touched on from other posters can be very sneaky. If you see it come back even slightly take that boy to a vet asap.