Gaining endurance with age and practice...

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Gaining endurance with age and practice...

Post by Ayres » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:20 pm

I take Justus for a long walk twice a day. We go all the way around a 1/2 mile loop and then come back (so it's a mile walk). We usually do this one time in the afternoon when its hot, and once in the evening. On the evening walk, we may take a detour or two and walk some more. This is all in addition to the normal playtime he gets around the house and in the back yard.

Currently, when we take the long walks through the field (see pictures in General Chat forum, topic: What have you been doing this summer?), he runs way ahead of me and way behind me and back and forth like that. After awhile, especially in the heat, he starts darting for shade spots by the high grass and plops on his rear while waiting for me to walk by. A lot of the time when he's running he hangs his tongue out and pants too.

I bring along a squirt bottle with cold water (always in the fridge) on these walks, and give him plenty to drink when he walks by and I soak down his back when he starts showing fatigue from heat.

At what point in his age should we start seeing his endurance rise for running in the field? He's almost three months old now, and I can clearly see the running time and the stop time for all he's got. Don't get me wrong, he still has energy to burn, but he just gets tuckered a bit and has to take a stop. I know it's a normal thing since he's so young, but at what age do you start seeing the dogs go off running and never see them quit until the walk/hunt is over?
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:40 pm

I've seen Bell hunt for hours, full speed at 5-6mo. old, but this is obviously in cool weather. In when I train in this heat, Bell and Carl look like they are about to over heat in about 5-10 min.

Could of this endurance issue could be due to the heat versus the age of Justus?????

Just a thought....

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:30 am

I'd call it a combination of both the dog's youth and the heat. In spite of what some will tell you no dog is at it's best in temps above seventy degrees. They simply cannot cool themselves adequately. Puppies tend to be a little on the fat side, and are just thicker overall than they will be as adults so their ability to maintain body temp is even more limited. Remember breathing/panting is the only real way a dog has to cool itself other than getting wet or laying in cool grass or in the shade.

Give him time, and let him regulate himself for now. Dont' push a dog in the heat as heat injuries (heat stroke) comes on rapidly, can be fatal, and even if successfully treated can have devastating long term effects on the dog healthwise. In time as he grows and adjusts/adapts you'll see a steady increase in endurance and stamina and heat tolerance.

Enjoy him, he'll only be a puppy for a year or so! CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:05 am

Ha ha. Enjoy it while you can still wear his little puppy butt out!! It won't last long, pretty soon he'll be wearing you out!!! But I think it may be very much due to the heat too. Fletcher is now a year old and has endurance like you and I can only wish we had, and this summer I have had to change his exercise schedule, and instead of whooping his butt for about two hours straight, I have been doing it in spurts because after about 15 minutes he is hot and ready for AC and water.