Pink Eye?

DogNewbie

Pink Eye?

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:34 am

So Briar had a bit of an accident in his kennel two days ago...it was a real mess. Not sure how long the poor guy was sitting in his own mistake, but I've noticed since then, his eyes have been a little pink in the corners and he's had a ton of eye gunk too. They are clear bothering him as well. He keeps scratching at them and rubbing them on the floor. Is this pink eye and how do I get rid of it in dogs?
Thanks,

Tim

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Pink Eye?

Post by mcbosco » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:38 am

Sounds like he has a bug and it is not caused by the accident in the crate, the reverse.

Did you take his temp?

As for the eye, you should keep a bottle of pharma grade boric acid handy for ear and eye cleaning. Mix 1/4 teaspon in a pint of room temperature sterlized water and drop into his eye a few times a day.

If it doesn't clear up in 3-4 days or gets noticably worse, take him to the vet.
Last edited by mcbosco on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:39 am

sure sounds like some type of conjunctivitis (aka pink eye). i usually prescribe an antibiotic solution with a steroid in it, as long as the cornea isnt scratched. might be hard to get without a trip to the vet though.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:41 am

dog dr wrote:sure sounds like some type of conjunctivitis (aka pink eye). i usually prescribe an antibiotic solution with a steroid in it, as long as the cornea isnt scratched. might be hard to get without a trip to the vet though.
Dr. isn't normal pink eye self-limiting, it should clear in a few days. It is usually viral as well right?

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:06 am

mcbosco wrote:
dog dr wrote:sure sounds like some type of conjunctivitis (aka pink eye). i usually prescribe an antibiotic solution with a steroid in it, as long as the cornea isnt scratched. might be hard to get without a trip to the vet though.
Dr. isn't normal pink eye self-limiting, it should clear in a few days. It is usually viral as well right?
Only virus i can think of that you would see conjunctivitis with would be distemper, but i might be forgetting something. Its usually caused by either bacterial infection or an allergic response. Could be secondary to other issues with the eye (glaucoma, uveitis, etc.) but those are less common. And yes, a bacterial infection CAN clear on its own, but it sure gets better faster with some simple meds. Prolonged infection could lead to damage to the eye as well.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:37 am

On our run this morning he stopped a couple times because it seemed like his feet were bothering him. There wasn't any snow in his pad so I thought maybe the sand and salt were bothering him, but he would stop just to bite or lick his foot for a second. Isn't that sometimes a sign of an allergic reaction?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:11 pm

Too many symptoms. See the vet.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:51 pm

Taking him to the vet after work.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:18 pm

How did the vet appointment go?

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:38 pm

Besides the cost it went fine...He's got some sort of non contagious eye infection. I have to give him eye drops three times a day for ten days.