5 month old GSP puppy (feeding question)

Vaoutdoors42

5 month old GSP puppy (feeding question)

Post by Vaoutdoors42 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:35 am

I was wondering when I should be able to switch to only 2 feedings per day? I have noticed he will not eat much midday but does eat pretty good during morning and evening...I think with the little amount of feed he eats during the afternoon, this will not be a big loss for him but...What has been yalls experience on when to switch a puppy from 3 meals to 2? He gets about a heafty cup every feeding. (3 cups per day)

Puppy weighs 43 pounds at 5 months. (tall & lean)

The puppy is eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness puppy (*chicken)
Nutrition facts:
Crude Protein 36.0% min
Crude Fat 16.0% min
Crude Fiber 6.0% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Calcium 1.3% min
Phosphorus 0.9% min
DHA* 0.1% min

Thanks for checking this out guys & gals...
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.9% min
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 3.0% min

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: 5 month old GSP puppy (feeding question)

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:57 am

i feed 3 times a day until about 5 months then go to 2 times a day..we feed at 5am and 4pm usually depending on the schedule that day as ours varies but try to stick to the times the best we can, if the pup gets a 3rd feeding its around 11am..i usually give a large dog biscuit mid day to the dogs eating 2 times a day as a snack or cut some apple or give some carrots or something when i feed the younger pups so the older dogs arent staring at me as if to say WTH why does he/she get to eat.. plus they enjoy it, they like vanilla pudding or yogurt too :D..i feed my 2 year old 2 cups each feeding (4 cups total), the 5 month old lab/britt gets 1 and a half cups each feeding (3 cups total) and the 3 month old gsp pup 1cup 3 times a day (3 cups total) i know you could have done the math but put it anyway :wink: each dogs food increases or decreases depending on the dogs physical condition, exercise, age and the season (hot or cold)....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:35 am

No set rules, and at that weight already I would go to two. You are using a very high quality food so start now. You could also save a few bucks and switch to the Adult formula.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Well said. ( Don't increase the 2 feedings to the 3 feedings amount.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett