Do you have a go-to backup dog food?

Hondo

Do you have a go-to backup dog food?

Post by Hondo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:27 pm

I've been feeding my dog Loyall Active Adult and she does great on the feed. However, availability is sometimes an issue and when I travel I can't always find it.

I was wondering if you guys/gals have a backup feed that you use in case you can't find your primary feed. I would imagine that those of you who do have a backup feed have actually done as much research on that feed as the primary feed. Plus, I would guess that this backup feed has been fed to your respective dog(s) and they do well on it.

Any suggestions on a good backup feed to Loyall Active Adult? Something similar to the protein/fat % (26/19), so that my dog doesn't have to make a huge adjustment if I have to switch.

Thanks,

Hondo
Last edited by Hondo on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Do you have a go-to backup dog food?

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:38 pm

I wouldn't switch foods when travelling. Diahrrea in the car is no fun.
The food I use is always available where I live.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:39 pm

I wouldn't feed a feed without consistent availability. I sell dog food, but when we were closed at work for icy weather and I ran out of stash, I bought Pedigree rather than drive far. The dogs didn't care.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:41 pm

If I travel with the dogs enough feed to take care of them goes with us. Have never had to switch because I couldn't find what we normally feed, but if I did there are a hundred feeds out there that would work as most are pretty much alike. I would just be sure it was a lower "quality" than what I normally use. Any time you are changing feed you need to cut the quanity or the quality to lessen the likely hood of having problems. But for a temporary feed most anything would work.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:01 pm

I had one time when I got stuck out of town unexpectedly after only planning for a day trip. I just went to the nearest grocery store/WalMart and bought raw chicken, chicken backs, and canned pumpkin. Dogs survive quite well on raw chicken and backs. I just don't feed leg bones.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:56 pm

We always carry enough food for an extra two or three days on a planned hunt. Have never run out of dog food. If we were to face that situation I would try to find a food as close as possible to the quality of my current feed and that would depend on what retailers I had access to at the time. I guess I'd be looking at Eukanuba Performance, Purina Pro Plan, Enhance, Pro Pac or National. But again, always carry more than you think you will need. Your dog will appreciate it and it might effect the number of birds in the bag. Good luck (Currently feed Eagle Pack Power Formula)

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:29 am

I agree with not feeding something you can't easily get, and I always travel with more food than I will need.

There have been times I've been stuck without food and couldn't get my normal food. For a meal or two any halfway decent food will work. Two times in particular I remember just getting Purina Puppy Chow at gas stations. It wasn't my first pick, but a small bag fed the dogs a night or two just fine.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

chukarmandoo

Post by chukarmandoo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:03 am

Hondo I feed the same thing. If you are on the road and you run out you're not going to find it. I've done this 2 times while out hunting. The dogs ate Chukar guts for three days. Good thing there was 3 of us shooting. Dan

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:47 am

I don't recommend a rapid switch from one kibble to another. That would be asking for a messy case of diarrhea. But you can do a rapid switch to raw meat.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:16 pm

chukarmandoo wrote:Hondo I feed the same thing. If you are on the road and you run out you're not going to find it. I've done this 2 times while out hunting. The dogs ate Chukar guts for three days. Good thing there was 3 of us shooting. Dan
TSC carries it, some parts of the country they are easy to find.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:38 pm

I see one of two options:

1) just use the web and check out the places were you are traveling to and call them to see if they do carry it. websites are not always the most up to date, so just call ahead.

2) just buy extra and take it with you. this is what I do, you never know what might happen when you are traveling, so just bring extra.

then you do not have to worry about all of the issues that may happen with switching dog food.

brandon

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:47 pm

bwjohn wrote:I see one of two options:

1) just use the web and check out the places were you are traveling to and call them to see if they do carry it. websites are not always the most up to date, so just call ahead.

2) just buy extra and take it with you. this is what I do, you never know what might happen when you are traveling, so just bring extra.

then you do not have to worry about all of the issues that may happen with switching dog food.

brandon
#2 doesn't work if you slip on ice and spill it all in a snowdrift :mrgreen:

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:17 pm

Anyone have a dog that refuses to eat on the road?

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:23 pm

nikegundog wrote:Anyone have a dog that refuses to eat on the road?
My last one barely ate on the road.

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:41 pm

Great advice and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Would you consider a feed easy to get and readiliy available if you are dependent on only one store carrying the brand?

Or would you switch to a brand that can be purchased at multiple stores in many areas.

In other words in the area of California where I live I can't readily buy Loyall other than one store unless I want to travel 2 hours to another feed store. However, something like Purina Pro Plan I can purchase at most big box pet stores as well as other places?

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:18 pm

What about Diamond Premium 26/18. It is chicken by products, corn, wheat. Much like the Loyal Active. I think Diamond is available in many more feed and private pet stores around the country.

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:00 pm

I've had no issue finding Diamond Performance anywhere I've gone, even though I always bring about double the amount I need.
A second would be Nutro High Performace, as that is what she was on before. Granted, Nutro is usually harder to come by.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:48 pm

CherrystoneWeims wrote:I don't recommend a rapid switch from one kibble to another. That would be asking for a messy case of diarrhea. But you can do a rapid switch to raw meat.
This is exactly why I recommended a poorer type feed and not something that is high in protein or fat. A lower type of feed and a little less for the first couple of days usually gets you by quite well. For those that say they wouldn't feed a poorer feed, good luck. After a time or two you will find what works for emergencies without creating other problems.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:04 am

Anyone have a dog that refuses to eat on the road?
I live in Tiny Town, USA, and have to feed what is available at the local store. It's either that or drive 60 miles round trip to buy dog food. No thanks. Our little market carries a brand called Ultra Advantage that is certainly not the highest quality food out there, but it's cheap. It suits the locals just fine. Now this food is not available everywhere so what can I do when I'm out and about? Let's just say that I've not met the dog yet who will turn down a Double Quarter Pounder. McD's is just about everywhere. :wink: