To switch foods or not?

isuhunter

To switch foods or not?

Post by isuhunter » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Just got a pup last weekend (GSP) she'll be 8 weeks old this weekend.

Breeder gave me a small bag of food and I will eventually need to get more. I've read don't switch foods for puppies but finding Country Vet Dog Fuel large breed Puppy formula I have to drive 45 min according to their website.

Would you guys make the drive to get the same? She loves the stuff and eats it well and seems to have decent stools and plenty of energy.

postoakshorthairs

Re: To switch foods or not?

Post by postoakshorthairs » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:20 pm

Are you gonna continue to drive that far long term? If it were mine I'd find a good all life stages food that's easily obtainable in your area and transition now and lose the puppy food. I know you your not supposed to switch abruptly but it sounds like your gonna switch eventually anyway.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:24 pm

I wouldn't drive 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back to buy dogfood. There are so many good foods on the market that I would transition to a food that was more convenient.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:29 pm

Sharon wrote:I wouldn't drive 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back to buy dogfood. There are so many good foods on the market that I would transition to a food that was more convenient.
Thats kind of my thought when I have farm store in town that has many high end foods.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:19 pm

Switch now while you still have a little of the puppy food left.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:56 am

Ok...so as I prepare to make the switch I'm trying to figure out what to go with. Looks like some options I have locally are Diamond Naturals, Native, Pro Plan, Nutro... to name a few.

I'm going to go look at prices later today but just curious if people were selecting based on their experience of the above what would you go with? I feel I want to feel her what is best at a reasonable cost. (willing to spend more if there are benefits)

What do you guys and gals think of the "Dog Food Advisor" ratings? Reason I ask is Pro Plan seems to be popular on GDF and they only rate it a 2 star out of 5 stars.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:22 am

"Dog Food Avisory " sites are not to be believed, It is all wrapped up in advertising $$ by specific companies.

I 've fed Pro Plan Performance and Pro Plan Senior or a version of for 22 years. No complaints - good coats, high energy etc.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:38 am

Buy a food that is always available in your feed store. The Diamond Naturals is excellent so is Native. Pro Plan works well for a lot of the folks here and you can save the weight circles on the bag for discount coupons from Pro Plan. I am a believer in growing pups slower by feeding a high quality adult food that as . Use the small bag you have and mix with the new food slowly over a week or so. Your pup should do just fine on any high quality food you choose.

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:08 am

I've had great luck with both Diamond and Nutro.
Currently on Diamond as it's less expensive than Nutro.

terrym

Post by terrym » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:25 pm

Sharon wrote:I wouldn't drive 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back to buy dogfood. There are so many good foods on the market that I would transition to a food that was more convenient.
What she said. I switched my pup immediately when I got him from the breeder ( just mixed what they gave me with what I chose locally for a week or so ).
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Looks like these are my options... Dianmond natural or Pro Plan. If I went with Pro Plan Would you guys go with large breed puppy food over reg puppy for a shorthair that is suppose to be approx 50 lbs full grown or just go with performance ALS Pro Plan?

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:17 pm

isuhunter, Lot's of really sound advice from the folks here! I will point out one misconception though. Sharon and others on here have been misled to believe that all "dog food advisory" websites are money and advert driven. Some are, some are not. The site I think you refered to as "dog food advisor" [url]www.dogfoodadvisor.com [/url]is not driven by such. Mike Sagman, the owner and creator does not take $$$ from manufacturers for his reviews. His site reviews are however based on his own "unique personal rating system" which you can agree or disagree with his philosophy which he developed and rates higher for protein content and subtracts for grain inclusion and other such stigmas. This is not my own philosophy but I felt the need to point out to avoid further confusion. His site is however a nice forum to see both first hand positive and negative response feedback from consumers.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:35 pm

northUpland wrote:isuhunter, Lot's of really sound advice from the folks here! I will point out one misconception though. Sharon and others on here have been misled to believe that all "dog food advisory" websites are money and advert driven. Some are, some are not. The site I think you refered to as "dog food advisor" http://www.dogfoodadvisor.comis not driven by such. Mike Sagman, the owner and creator does not take $$$ from manufacturers for his reviews. His site reviews are however based on his own "unique personal rating system" which you can agree or disagree with his philosophy which he developed and rates higher for protein content and subtracts for grain inclusion and other such stigmas. This is not my own philosophy but I felt the need to point out to avoid further confusion. His site is however a nice forum to see both first hand positive and negative response feedback from consumers.
You hit the nail on the head. All of those sites are what someome thinks and not based on any kind of scientific lab test or feed tests where the results can be measured accurately. Most are driven either by a sales department or someone promoting their personal opinion. Not sure which is less objective but am yet to find one that isn't to a large degree. Notice you will not find reference to any actual tests on any of them. I'm still waiting for one to be honest and without exception they are not based on fact.

Any of you that want to write a Dog Food Advisory article are free to do it and put it on the net with no actual knowledge of feedstuffs or what it does for an animal. Have at it, you may create the best one yet.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

splucinski

Post by splucinski » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:27 pm

I have been using Native with great success. I wanted to find something else because Native is not that easy to get around here. I read something on here about Enhance and ordering it from petfoodsdirect.com. I was able to get it for less than Native with free shipping using a discount code. So far my dog loves it, stools are nice and firm and no issues.