Dog not eating

wberry85

Dog not eating

Post by wberry85 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:19 pm

Ever had a dog not eat for a while? Last Wednesday he was throwing up a lot, like every 20 minutes for about 2 hours. I gave him overnight and he seemed ok the next day, no more vomiting, but he hasnt eaten since Wednesday. He will eat a treat and drink water, so I dont think it is an obstruction, but he is normally a good eater and has totally shut down. He ate about a cup of food at my moms house yesterday, but other than that he wont touch anything. Tried rice, green beans, etc. Attitude and energy levels seem normal.

I figured after a couple days he would be fine but after this long I was hoping he would be over it. I am wanting to hunt him this week several days. I am starting to worry about kidneys, pancreantitis, etc.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog not eating

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:25 pm

Only time I've really had one go completely off food it was lyme disease and a round of Doxy got them eating in a couple days.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:17 am

If he will eat treats I would try just chicken and rice. Bland diet for a few days and slowly mix in normal kibble. If is refuses to eat for more than another day or two i would take him in..

bossman

Post by bossman » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:47 pm

I'm confused with your priorities. Your now worried about his kidney's, etc., etc.,...But you want to hunt and havn't taken him to the vet yet. Call me over protective, but I don't get it. Take him in to the vet. jmo as always

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:34 pm

wberry85 wrote:Ever had a dog not eat for a while? Last Wednesday he was throwing up a lot, like every 20 minutes for about 2 hours. I gave him overnight and he seemed ok the next day, no more vomiting, but he hasnt eaten since Wednesday. He will eat a treat and drink water, so I dont think it is an obstruction, but he is normally a good eater and has totally shut down. He ate about a cup of food at my moms house yesterday, but other than that he wont touch anything. Tried rice, green beans, etc. Attitude and energy levels seem normal.

I figured after a couple days he would be fine but after this long I was hoping he would be over it. I am wanting to hunt him this week several days. I am starting to worry about kidneys, pancreantitis, etc.

That's too long. My vet says if the dog hasn't eaten normally in 2 days the dog needs to be seen. is this an older dog? Older dog lose some of their hearing and vision but also their smell. My older dog needs something on the dry food to eat. Vet tells me this is quite common.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

wberry85

Post by wberry85 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:51 am

I would have taken him in sooner, but I spoke with my vet on Christmas Eve because I knew they would be closed on Christmas, and she said he could wait as long as he is drinking and eating treats. Thats why I waiting that long to take him in.

Went to the vet yesterday and they did bloodwork and gave fluids. All of the bloodwork came back ok. Pancreatic levels were normal. He was passing stool and drinking water so I dont think it is an obstruction. Other than that the vet doesnt really know whats wrong.

Anyways I went out and bought him a chicken and he gobbled that right up but he still wont touch dog food. I am going to keep him eating chicken for a little while and see if I can introduce dog food again slowly.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:24 am

It's possible to get a bad bag of dogfood or for it to grow mold. Start a fresh bag.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:52 am

Sharon wrote:It's possible to get a bad bag of dogfood or for it to grow mold. Start a fresh bag.
+1
It's very possible you have a bad bag of food,try a new bag or switch brands. Since Purina switched their puppy chow formula to have higher amounts of fish oil, I have had 3 bags of their food that NONE of my dogs would eat---If you smelled the contents of the bag, it smelled like rotting carp(rancid) :!: I switched to a different brand of puppy food and no longer have problems. I still feed Purina to my adults, but I won't ever use Puppy Chow again unless they get rid of the rotten fish oil.

wberry85

Post by wberry85 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:55 am

Interesting theory. I will try this.