loose stools

deodar

loose stools

Post by deodar » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:16 am

We have a 6 mo old wirehair pointing griffon, his stools are like a cowpie. We feed our 12 yr old griffon and 2 yr old schnoodle Taste of the Wild dry. Initially our pup did well on this food after we gradually introduced it when we got him. He's had broad fecal testing ruling out parasites, coccidia, giardia, etc.. We've been feeding him boiled hamburger and rice for the last week or so and that firmed him up. The last few days we've been putting just a handful of dry in with the boiled and now he's started with the cowpies again. He does bolt his food, even with a slow eat dish and we can't seem to put weight on him even with feeding 3 cups a day. Otherwise he's active and seems healthy. He gets out in the marsh/fields several times a week and has a large fenced yard to run in. He is a house dog. He doesn't go any more often and it isn't urgent but is more puddle than pile. I'm putting him back on only boiled burger and rice til he firms up again. Could the Taste of the Wild be too rich for him? Any suggestions as to what dry food to try?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: loose stools

Post by ultracarry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:31 am

Change food till you find one that his stomach can handle.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:02 am

I think you will find you are just over-feeding trying to put weight on a teenager. Just cut him back till the stool is firm and then you can try to increase him very slowly. Or you can change to a lower protein feed with less fat but you will have to feed more. How much the feed has in it is not important, it is how much the dog takes in, so either just cut back or change, either will work.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:22 am

I had the same problem. I've been feeding TOTW for almost two years now and have had great results with it. But rationing it can be touchy. Just a little too much produces messy stools and gas. Cut back a bunch, and gradually increase the amount to where your dog holds weight but stools remain firm. Use a measuring cup, don't be tempted to eyeball it til you get it right. My skinny dog does better with two smaller feedings rather than one bigger one. My other four do great with one feeding.

jforgey

Post by jforgey » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:07 pm

I had a similar problem with my Shorthair when he was a pup. I had him on Blue Buffalo, switched to Taste of the Wild, and Acana. He had problems with all three. I finally switched to Purina Pro-Plan and he hasn't had any problems.

You might want to try the following:
1. Add a tablespoon of plain yogurt.
2. Add a tablespoon of pumpkin (not pie mix, canned pumpkin)
3. Add a pro-biotic.

All of these will aid your dogs digestion.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:07 am

Try lamb and rice. This is the only thing my BLF can eat without having squirts. I just switched from Science Diet lamb and rice to Iams lamb lamb and rice trying to save some money on feed bills. So far she is doing fine.