Possible parvo scare

Ranger351

Possible parvo scare

Post by Ranger351 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:26 am

Ok so being stupid/nice the wife and I started to foster a mom and pups. We only had them 3 days and lost 5 out of 6 pups and mom started showing bloody stool and listlessness. Immediately sent mom and pups back. My dog never was around any of them but had a shared yard. I sprayed each potty mess from mom with bleach and have since drowned my yard in bleach. My dog maybe by coincidence has loose stools but only like softserve. My son says he fed him more yesterday since he seemed hungry. 1 yr old gsp up to date on all shots. Just to be safe gave him pepto. Vet says until he shows any other signs he should be ok. So anything else I can/should do?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Possible parvo scare

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:40 am

Ask your vet about prophylactic TamiFlu. If your dog did not have his last parvo (or combo) shot at 16 weeks or older, he is at risk, according to AVMA protocol.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:45 am

If your dog is healthy and vaccinated there should be no problems

Dogs are constantly exposed to things it is the healthy ones you never know they were exposed because they have a healthy immune system and do not get sick and the weaker ones they get sick and then people freak out and panic. I am not trying to down play the dangers of Parvo but parvo is easily spread..you get the wet nose on you hand and then go pet another dogs nose and grab the handle on your car door and someone else grabs the handle on your car right after they and you are spreading parvo ..it is that easy

it takes direct contact and something where a dog or mostly pups in cases of parvo to get it....I have seen pups that had 2 shots but got direct contact with a bad strain of the parvo and come down with it but the rest of the littermates not one problem
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:44 am

OkSo still no signs. Am hoping I'm just being overly nervous. I'll post if anything changes.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:15 pm

Could also be whipworms, coccidia, hookworms, corona, brucellosis...
Deworm your dog with something that covers whips (like safegaurd or monthly interceptor), and keep the diet normal, no changes, no treats. Coccidia will not be covered by over the counter dewormers, needs "Albon" or related sulfadrug. It will give smelly yellowish loose stools and can be seen in a fecal at the vets.
I would be sure to "deflea" also. But that is not directly related.
Agreed that of your dog is fully vaccinated, PARVO should not be high risk. But parvo is badness and a bit hard to predict so it keeps us all mighty nervous!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:39 pm

You should be o.k. if your dog has been fully vaccinated. I foster all the time and consistently get dogs with kennel cough and other problems, though so far, no parvo. Fostering can be a great deal, but make sure your dog is fully vaccinated and be prepared to bring some nasty stuff into your home. I don't usually foster during the bird hunting season because invariably, someone will come down with KC. Next time, foster an older dog or be sure they're parvo free before they come into your home - have the rescue screen out those at risk if you're unwilling to foster pups that might have parvo.

For your pup, try boiled rice with a fat tablespoon of canned pumpkin (plain). That usually helps with loose stools.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:59 am

There are a couple of paro specific vaccinations Neopar is the one i use. A combo vaccination does not protect as well. I am in a heavy parvo area and i use it. Combo shots are of little use here and many pups get it despite the first and second combo shot, only after the third do i have any confidence.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:41 am

The only difference is that you know it is in your yard. Your dog has probably been in several areas that have the parvo virus. Any high dog area. In the hunting field, trial grounds, your neighbors yard. You will probably be fine, but got pointers has a great point. You can get the single inject online. I know here in PA we can order and administer our own vaccs.

Joe